Xantia Activa
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Xantia Activa

Default Xantia Activa

I have sung various praises to the Xantia ... not a great looker, but IMHO one of the best sorted cars ever made by Citroen. And some models are much more fun than others. The later 16v Auto is one I liked when I drove it.

Whilst the C5 is away I have been driving my Activa. Which is no ordinary Xantia.

What an amazing car this is. Handling is up there with the best, the engine, although a bit dated by today's standards, is wonderful. And you are getting Citroen suspension with rail-road tight handling and superb dynamics. Smooth, and a wonderful manual gearbox. And very quiet compared to the C5HDI.

Advertisement

If you have been curious about them, but never driven one .... "do yourself a favour."

I actually wonder why they were not given greater status, not just amongst Citroen circles, but in the wider motoring community. But then, the motoring journo's usually have no love for almost any Citroen.

You would imagine that a brilliant handling, dynamic, and comfortable car would have raised more enthusiasm.

it would be hard to find a good one to buy I expect. : (

I think there might a green one for sale on Carsales.

One of the guys up here takes his to Willowbank and Lakeside raceways and has an absolute ball keeping up with all the hotted up sixes and V8s in his Activa. He just raves about how gobsmacked all the drivers of the other cars are about how the Activa goes and handles even on his road tyres.

Cheers Ken

^ ^ Yup, that is mine. But I have been having second ... and third ... thoughts about selling.

In terms of a "good one" they are relatively OK to "restore" compared to earlier Citroens.
    The quality of the bodywork and interior is also excellent, so less hard work in a resto.
    Far more robust than say, a CX or a D.

Like all Citroens, the occasional "work around" is called for.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    it would be hard to find a good one to buy I expect. : (
    Ours will be for sale, probably from a dealer, in a few days. Bog standard 1996 8V, 2.0i manual, white. Pretty much perfect for 20 years and with 99K km on the clock, two owners and full history from new. We're moving to a manual Series II Renault Scenic to get more modern for our main car.

I think it comes close to being the most competent and reliable car we've ever owned. Like a Renault 16TS, I'd love a new one.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

I agree with forumnoreason - a good Activa is very hard to find. Ask Harvey - it took him a long time to find his car.

John I take it yours is not the Turbo CT motor with the Activa suspension (which is what Gary has)?

These higher spec machines generate more heat in the engine bay, and more wear and tear on running gear etc. due to the stiffer suspension and active anti-roll system. A standard SX 8-valve manual is naturally going to be more reliable.

The 'work-arounds' Gary refers to are becoming more necessary as parts become unavailable. This is more of a problem with Turbo CTs and especially Activas, as they were sold in smaller numbers. For example, in the UK in the year 2000 there were 130,000 Xantias registered (now 3,962). Of these, only 785 were the Turbo CT Activa model (now 28).

Cheers

Alec

Yes, mine is a bog standard simple Xantia. It was bought with that in mind. And sooo reliable....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I have had very little "Activa" related problems.

99% are just Xantia (or any other car) stuff...

The other benefits include much better (and more comfortable) seats, better trim...
    not just the turbo/handling features.

The hydraulic ram seals started leaking.
    Instead of a full replacement, we just did the boots.
    Fixed ... inexpensively.

Thread Information