• 2 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By frog
  • 5 Post By Motorgnome

Thread: What will the purists say!

Default What will the purists say!

I've been playing with the BX today (well everyday really) preparing for a few changes. The front & rear bumpers, well, they looked like shit, so I've decided to paint them, & I'm going to carry on & paint the whole bottom of the car from the mouldings down, in the best 80's / 90's tradition of two tone! The car is white (a bit boring really, but at least it's a nice bright white), so the bottom half is going to be silver. I can hear you all moaning & rolling your eyes, but don't judge to you see it finished.. And by then I won't care anyway!

Advertisement

The BX is a very easy car to pull to bits in the body department.. 6 screws on each bumper, a tug on each headlight, one wing nut for each front indicator, & a simple clip for each tail light.. Awesome! Also awesome is the fact that it's never been smashed & is still wearing is original bumpers (date stamped 10/88). The finish behind the bumpers is still original, with markings from the factory evident. Well pleased with that!

Anyway, I'll post more pictures when is done, & you can all poo poo it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What will the purists say!-1457259053174.jpg   What will the purists say!-1457259082517.jpg   What will the purists say!-1457259096751.jpg  
    FedGrapes and JohnW like this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

What will the purists say!
    Honestly? Stuff the purists. They aren't stumping up the cash for the repairs.

And by then I won't care anyway!

Oh, well now, that changes everything since you put it that way
    Motorgnome and pug206gti like this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I agree with Bill. Just go for it and hang what others say!
    Motorgnome likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

You only have patina once.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    You only have patina once.
    I always thought Patina would be a great name for a daughter.

Adam, where did you get that emoticon?
    JohnW likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

It's inbuilt to AussieFrogs, a colon followed by a capital pee, no spaces or hyphens.

It will certainly be unique.
    Motorgnome likes this.

Maybe look into vinyl wrapping the bottom half silver, probably cheaper, reversible. The current paint looks mint.
    Motorgnome likes this.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I agree with Bill. Just go for it and hang what others say!

G'day,
    exactly right. Your car, the only improvement would be if it had badges on it, but, we can't all be perfect.

Maybe look into vinyl wrapping the bottom half silver, probably cheaper, reversible. The current paint looks mint.
    Apparently the cost is similar to painting. Here is a useless fact: the yellow Ozpost vans are really red with a vinyl wrap.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

1000+ Posts

I must be quelqu'un qui est ťlitiste - I like it better in white.
    No. I like it very much in white.

It's a bit of a tough call, this "originality" thing. On one hand, you can look at the market & see the highest prices being paid for original, unmolested cars, rather than the "restored beauty"..with modified cars fetching much less than either of these categories.
    But then , the way I look at it, do you buy the car for yourself, or are you merely a custodian of it??. It doesn't really matter I guess with a BX..They are only worth "two bob" anyway, but I buy a car, not to make money out of it (That will NEVER happen in my ownership), but to enjoy & experience it. The trouble is, as a mechanic, I can't enjoy a car completely, unless it's 100% fit, (or close to it) & setup the way I like it... A bit individual I suppose. I won't keep the original radio in it, just because it's original, & I won't leave the windows "un-tinted" for the same reason..I'll put a decent stereo in it cause I love my music, & I will tint the windows slightly to try & save the "biodegradable" interior. I will have a little dabble with the exterior image to make it different & hopefully not more ugly, & I will throw a fortune at it mechanically, to make it right. I paid $2500 for it & have thrown more than that again at it (remember, this is parts only, no labour charge), to bring it up to a reasonable condition...Now I am fully aware that a $5000+ BX is unsaleable, but I cannot enjoy it, unless it is "right". Does this make me a fool?? Some would say yes, but I enjoy what I do, & that's the reason you work & earn money, so you can waste it on the things that you enjoy, be it stuffing around with old orphan cars, or "pissing it up against the wall" down at the local pub..each to their own I reckon.

So now, I've gotten completely off track & you are wondering "where the hell is he going with this??"..I suppose we should be happy that another BX is "safe" for a while, wether it is original or not...it's out on the road,(at least it will be soon) flying the "Citroen" flag..Middle finger up at the establishment!

I love old cars!
    Armidillo, frog, FedGrapes and 2 others like this.

JBN

BXcited! Let your heart dictate what you want to do. At the very worst, you will have halved the worth of your car, from about $1000 to $500. It is bloody hard to get really good entertainment for $500 these days.

John

Thread Information