• 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: Citroen Berlingo Thermo Fan Replacement

Tadpole

Default Citroen Berlingo Thermo Fan Replacement

Hey Guys

i picked up a 2002 Citroen Berlingo Van for $300 only down side is it has a blown head gasket, sitting in the van the front left radiator fan is missing the blade

Advertisement

now im thinking i might go with 2 smaller after market fans with a sensor switch, do u think i would be better off replacing the troublesome original fans with aftermarket fans?

i could fit 2x 10" or 250mm fans on the condenser radiator but im unsure how i would make one of the fans "high powered" as the original fan is for the A/C also i'm unsure how i would wire in the fans for one to turn on with normal engine running temperature and one to turn on with the A/C

any idea's?

The fans aren't troublesome, their wiring/relays are the let-down.

Head gaskets on the 1.4 die of old age and neglect, the oil in coolant isn't a sign of imminent total failure but just a warning the gasket is ageing.

Tadpole

Addo i have a huge amount of air bubbles coming from my radiator cap so i think the head is blown

what should i check on the electrical's?

That sounds like a head gasket that's gone!

The fan relays and their wires are rubbish. They're inside a little box up top between the fans on the fan cowling, and the harness connects to a round plug down low on the nearside of the radiator. At the very least I suggest you soft solder the relay socket terminals that carry heavy current, or for more beef convert to 70A protected relays with 9.5mm blades, new infeed wires direct from the fan motor fuse and matching relay sockets - again with soft soldered crimps.
    Torqued-Nut likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    That sounds like a head gasket that's gone!

The fan relays and their wires are rubbish. They're inside a little box up top between the fans on the fan cowling, and the harness connects to a round plug down low on the nearside of the radiator. At the very least I suggest you soft solder the relay socket terminals that carry heavy current, or for more beef convert to 70A protected relays with 9.5mm blades, new infeed wires direct from the fan motor fuse and matching relay sockets - again with soft soldered crimps.
    Thanks Addo I will do that i think i would rather beef the lot with 70A fuses and appropriate wiring to carry the load, how far down to the fan motors do i need to solder on the new wiring or should i dismantle the fans and run the wires directly from the motor to the relays?

when i upgrade to 70A relay fuses should i relocate them to somewhere inside the engine bay possible a little fuse box?

There's probably room inside the existing enclosure.

Typical relay price for these ones:
    Narva Relay 12V 4pin 70A Resistor | eBay

Matching socket is 68082

I would leave the existing wires for ground, trigger and outfeed to fans, but bring in two new wires off the engine bay fuse that feeds the fans. The 40A rated cable from Jaycar is plenty, and two of them will fit inside 10mm corrugated tubing. Use an Anderson connector or similar high current rated joiner so the panel can still be removed from the car without grief.
    Torqued-Nut likes this.

Tadpole

Sounds easy Thanks Addo

do u have a wiring diagram or know which wires to cut and join? i haven't removed the fan yet but have removed the grill to access the 3 relays on the fan housing, atm i cant see behind the radiator support to see the wiring i will have to remove the radiator

thanks for the links much appreciated

I do have a schematic, but the book is with my air con mate in Castle Hill!

In a nutshell, you need to remove the blinkers, the little wheelarch splash guards, then pull back or remove the main wheelarch liners from the front edge, then remove the bumper and headlight panel together - there are on each side, a T-20 screw and washer pointing up, a 10mm hex head bolt into the trailing corner of the bumper, and a 13mm headed bolt passing through the front bodywork pressing (there are two 13mm head bolts, about 100mm apart, the one which is in an oversized round hole you just leave). You will need to unbolt the washer bottle first (three 10mm head bolts). Then on the top, unhook the bonnet release, undo the two 13mm head bolts either side for the headlight support panel and unplug the headlights. The front panel plus bumper pretty much fall off on you, then.

You then need to lift up together the radiator and condenser, keeping them locked together, and free them from the bottom lip of the plastic fan shroud - which you can then pull forward. The round plug will be evident.
    Torqued-Nut likes this.

Tadpole

Thanks mate, the large left hand side fuse in the engine bay (facing the front of the car) was blown, it looks like someone has tried to bodge it up they wired in a relay in the engine compartment with a earth to a bolt and the positive to the battery now they ran the positive strait down to one of the original 3 relays and just soldered the + to number 85 pin

i will tear it all out and do it your way

Tadpole

Hey Addo

i was unsure if u wanted me to cut and bypass all standard 3 fan relays plus remove and add the new wiring u mentioned or just to add the additional relays and just wire up the new wiring?

i was thinking of buying 3 of these relays CAR Truck Auto 12V 40A SPDT Relay Socket Plug 5pin 5 Wire Waterproof Sales | eBay and bypassing the original 3 relays inside of the little black box and adding in the new beefed wiring as u mentioned

this way i would be running 3 brand new relays and relay sockets with the beefed 40A cable's

Those are only 40A and have the smaller terminals. You get heat from the resistance in terminal connections, while 40A relays are OK in theory, I reckon better safe than sorry. I got one bit wrong, you only need to replace two relays and sockets - not three. Here's a butchered wiring diagram of the three relays:

Citroen Berlingo Thermo Fan Replacement-cit_cooling_generic.jpg

You only need to bring in two new wires to the "box" on the fan shroud (terminal #3, circled, you can identify the two relays to replace by the fact they only have four wires into them, not five), the other wires should be OK, of course if they are a bit short you need to lengthen them...

The head work is already a $200+ exercise with gasket and bolts, plus it will probably need a skim.

Tadpole

Thanks again Addo priceless info mate

I'm with u now, i just took a look at my relay sockets and i can see the two to the middle and right only have 4 pins but both relays have 5 pin's which is what i was going by

i don't know how im going to house the new aftermarket relay's with sockets as the originals are round and aftermarket are square, also i cannot find over 40A waterproof relays how would u protect standard relays? i dont think they would fit in the original box

one more question, my passengers side fan blade is missing as is the clip am i best of buying a complete second hand fan with shroud and relays or looking for a new fan blade?

forgot to add i have priced all the parts for the head gasket to be done i will be changing the timing belt, tensioner, water pump along with it

The original mounting box is quite deep, I reckon they can be fitted in there. Don't sweat the waterproof bit if you mount them elsewhere, just position them so the relay is aligned upwards, out of driving rain or splashes and any odd water spray falls out the base.
    Torqued-Nut likes this.

Thread Information