• 1 Post By ajaxvte
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By Don B. Cilly
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: D special battery warning light

Fellow Frogger!

Default D special battery warning light

Hello
    What are possible causes for battery warning light showing at start up, and then going out again after a few minutes / kilometers? Battery appears fine. All leads to alternator, regulator etc have clean connections.
    AM

Advertisement

UFO

Is there actually about 13.5 volts getting to the battery at a good idle speed? Check with a voltage meter.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Hello
    What are possible causes for battery warning light showing at start up, and then going out again after a few minutes / kilometers? Battery appears fine. All leads to alternator, regulator etc have clean connections.
    AM
    Are you running the original regulator? I would definitely be taking Craig's suggestion as a first step. We can go from there.
    UFO likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Yet another lesson. Never trust the water level indicator in a battery. A proper check of the levels revealed the need for a top up of demineralised.... Now seems all good (I replaced the regulator around a year ago. And the voltage is 13.5).

The car had been to Canberra from Melbourne (660km) on Friday. 36 degrees Celsius. Engine got hot just short of Yass, so took a breather and topped up the radiator. Battery light started showing yesterday whilst in Canberra.

Topped up battery water in Jugiong this morning whilst on the way back to Melbourne. 36 degrees again today. All good. Surprised that a quite new battery had lost quite a bit of water.

Now at Chiltern in NE Victoria for a rest stop lunch.

Other than mild overheating through the south west slopes, the car has run very well. Just a bit hot (no a/c, black roof and black targa interior) in anything over high twenties... The heat soak through the firewall is something else.

AM
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Might be worth getting a sparky to check the regulator, possibly overcharging at revs and boiling your new battery. . . certainly shouldn't be dropping levels even in those conditions.

I tossed mine and fitted a bigger modern (in relative terms) alternator with internal regulator, the original regulators have become troublesome after 40 years.

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO and JohnW like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

you're very intrepid driving a D in the heat! sweat puddling in the footwells? I sympathize emphatically. Old cars and high temps are an unnerving combination. Especially in gridlock... I'm always glancing at the STOP light too frequently patiently waiting for it to glow

I suggest getting one of these.
    At the price, AUD 2.40, free shipping, you might as well get 3 or 4 and give some away as presents.
    They take a while, but you usually get them in 2-3 weeks.

addo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Might be worth getting a sparky to check the regulator, possibly overcharging at revs and boiling your new battery. . . certainly shouldn't be dropping levels even in those conditions.

I tossed mine and fitted a bigger modern (in relative terms) alternator with internal regulator, the original regulators have become troublesome after 40 years.

Cheers
    Chris
    hmmm, well famous last words...car overheated again later this afternoon. Well, the warning light came on and as I don't have a temperature gauge I was conservative and stopped at a friend's place for dinner. Now the engine has cooled but the battery warning light has come back on - briefly - on restarting. Looks like a sparkey check will be in order. Battery and regulator are less than a year old, and alternator was rebuilt at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    hmmm, well famous last words...car overheated again later this afternoon. Well, the warning light came on and as I don't have a temperature gauge I was conservative and stopped at a friend's place for dinner. Now the engine has cooled but the battery warning light has come back on - briefly - on restarting. Looks like a sparkey check will be in order. Battery and regulator are less than a year old, and alternator was rebuilt at the same time.
    Have you checked belt tension waterpump to alternator. Your two symptoms can be related if there is slippage in these belts.

Cheers
    Chris
    daffyduck likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post

Cheers
    Chris
    What brand alternator did you use Chris?
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasya View Post
    What brand alternator did you use Chris?
    I did the same works great and no maintenance for years. Not sure of brand but bought from atelier at reasonable cost and cones with all the right brackets

Fellow Frogger!

Beware water pump seizing !

Richard

Fellow Frogger!

After all that I drove the final 200km once the car (and weather) had well and truly cooled off, with no problems. I will check all of the above once I find some time, probably this (long) weekend. Until then, I'm kind of over it for a bit!

At any rate, your voltage regulator is running too hot. It shouldn't be cooking the water out of the battery. I would have that looked at.

Thread Information