• 3 Post By Andrew D
  • 1 Post By Andrew D
  • 1 Post By Andrew D

Thread: CX25 starter reconditioning

Fellow Frogger!

Default CX25 starter reconditioning

Hi all,

Advertisement

Not a frequent poster here, but do lurk about fairly regularly.

I have the dreaded click click and no turn over on the starter on the CX. It's a 1985 GTi with the 2.5L f ing enginge.

Anyone know of a repairer in Sydney that could recondition this for me? I've tried Dapco, EAI and Continetals with no success on a new one, so was hoping someone may have a contact in Sydney that could overhaul it.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Andrew

UFO

They're a reasonably standard unit. Any decent auto sparky should be able to sort it for you. Just don't tell them what it's for or prepare for the anti-French whining noise.
    jaahn likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Very sound advise - any decent auto-electrician should do; Citroen should not come into the equation.

However, you must ensure that it is the starter motor that is faulty; the click, click, click has many symptoms.

I have no idea of what the CX is like but is it possible to by pass all electrics and short circuit the starter motor by supplying 12 volts direct to the solenoid from the power cable from the battery attached to the starter motor?

We assume you have a healthy battery with clean, very clean battery terminals posts (male and female).

Regards,

JAJEA

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    They're a reasonably standard unit. Any decent auto sparky should be able to sort it for you. Just don't tell them what it's for or prepare for the anti-French whining noise.
    UFO likes this.

UFO

And think yourself lucky you're not trying to get the starter in and out of an XM, BX or DS. The one time I swapped the starter on our ex CX I could not believe how easy it was in comparison. I think it took longer to jack and stand the car (from flat) than it did to change the starter.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    Very sound advise - any decent auto-electrician should do; Citroen should not come into the equation.

However, you must ensure that it is the starter motor that is faulty; the click, click, click has many symptoms.

I have no idea of what the CX is like but is it possible to by pass all electrics and short circuit the starter motor by supplying 12 volts direct to the solenoid from the power cable from the battery attached to the starter motor?

We assume you have a healthy battery with clean, very clean battery terminals posts (male and female).

Regards,

JAJEA
    It should. I don't know why not. Solenoid driven starters are all pretty standard in operation.

Just don't tell them what it's for or prepare for the anti-French whining noise.
    There's a filter available for that.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks GUys. I found a sparky close to home.

I walked up to him and he said "Mitsubishi?". I fessed up and said Citroen. It didn't seem to phase him either way. He also seemed pretty confident it would be easy to sort.

Battery is healthy. I decided to just do it anyway and replace the starter cable whilst I'm there.

Thanks again for the advice and assistance. Greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Andrew
    UFO and Hotrodelectric like this.

That will be a good outcome. Most good sparkeys don't mind what car the starter is from particularly if you have taken it out. I was wondering how long the starter was going to last every time I heard your car crank over.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

A happy ending to this story. The auto sparky sorted the starter. The brushes were rusty along with a dead armature.

Fitted this morning and she fired up almost instantly. A wonderful sound!

Thanks again for the input. Now to sort out a few things before Cit-In.

Cheers
    Andrew

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
    A happy ending to this story. The auto sparky sorted the starter. The brushes were rusty along with a dead armature.

Fitted this morning and she fired up almost instantly. A wonderful sound!

Thanks again for the input. Now to sort out a few things before Cit-In.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Good news. How much?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

$160+gst. I paid cash so received a discount.
    UFO likes this.

You have done well - I'd reckon that's as good as a new one. Starter motors are pretty basic and rugged automatic components. No reason not to get many, many years of starter motor free problems!

JBN

I had mine go on the 2CV. Kept the handle for a trolley jack in the boot to encourage the bastard to work when it didn't.

Took it around the corner to George the Greek. He said it should be $120 cash. Found out that it also needed a new solenoid so it ended up being $140 cash. 'Cash' means discount in ancient Greek in the days before paper was invented, so no receipt.

The original starter on a 1986 2CV is twice the size and weight of a new replacement one. They also differ in that the small wire has a ring connector on the original and a spade connector on the new one. I made a bodgy connector for the interim whilst using the newer starter.

George uses the term Mitsubishi a lot when he talks to me. I think Mitsubishi is at the opposite extreme to Citroen when it comes to car electrics.

John

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

You scored. A new starter- assuming you could find one- should have cost you 3x that. Any idea where the new armature came from and what he had to do making it fit?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,

I was quoted $350 from Dapco. When I drove over there, I asked him to open it before I committed to the purchase. I am glad I did as they were quite different. The listing on his catalogue indicated it was the same for all CX Petrol. I suspect the 2500 uses bits from the diesels.

My next stop was Con Cars at Punchbowl. I was quoted $450. Matt took a photo to confirm that it was right, but I am yet to hear back....

But a good result nonetheless.

I have no idea where he sournced the Armature. It did take him 3 days to sort it out. The auto sparky was South Strathfield Auto Electrical. He was very helpful and communicative. They have been there for quite a few years. I dealt with George.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Thread Information