Special Tool D Steering measurments
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Frog

Thread: Special Tool D Steering measurments

Default Special Tool D Steering measurments

Hi
    Don't have this special tool (below) to align the steering for my reconditioned rack for the D Special.
    Are there measurements to knock one up? or a simple 2D version?
    What are the other work a rounds? I'm guessing the objective is to have the shaft perpendicular to the rack

Steve

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frog View Post
    Hi
    Don't have this special tool (below) to align the steering for my reconditioned rack for the D Special.
    Are there measurements to knock one up? or a simple 2D version?
    What are the other work a rounds? I'm guessing the objective is to have the shaft perpendicular to the rack

Steve

Steve,
    You can make a suitable version of the tool in timber and bolts

Refer to the manual for set-up - DS Manual 814 Vol1 PDF. Op 440-0 Page 1, I believe?

The above tool sets the alignment of the rack to the steering column, you also need left and right alignment -the manual give measurements to assist.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thanks Chris

Ah ha found this thread
    DS23 Steering rack removal and fitting
    with dimensions
    Special Tool D Steering measurments-outil-direction.jpg
    GreenBlood likes this.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frog View Post
    Thanks Chris

Ah ha found this thread
    DS23 Steering rack removal and fitting
    with dimensions
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outil-direction.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	81241
    Yes and what a great thread that was. I learnt so much from others and am glad it's still available for posterity.

Unbelievably, that was 5 years ago already!
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

This is the alignment tool I made to that drawing:

A couple of notes:

Where in the drawing it says ∼100 mm... that does not take the center eccentric into account.
    If you have it, it's much better to do 130 mm. or you'll have to recalculate the 81.5 to account for it.
    130 should go well past it and touch the actual tube, as meant to do.

Having changed a few steering boxes by now, I find this tool, well, pretty useless.
    On later models with the battery on the driver's side and a lot of stuff in the way, actually counterproductive.
    Even on the first one I changed, which was easier as it had the battery on the other side, I triple-checked by having someone turn the wheel and holding a bit of wood under it.

On later ones, I just do the latter.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Steve,
    You can make a suitable version of the tool in timber and bolts

Refer to the manual for set-up - DS Manual 814 Vol1 PDF. Op 440-0 Page 1, I believe?

The above tool sets the alignment of the rack to the steering column, you also need left and right alignment -the manual give measurements to assist.

Cheers
    Chris
    What is absolutely critical for the D's steering is that the center line drawn through the RU is in exact alignment with the CL of the steering column. The reason is quite simple. As the RU is rotated by the steering column/wheel you cannot have any movement (up or down) of the little control pistons inside the RU. If you do the steering will 'fight' you as you turn the steering wheel. The side to side movement is not quite as critical, but still needs to be set correctly.

In addition to the tool one can also set this alignment visually - but takes two people and with the front of the car suspended on stands so the front wheels are free and fender removed. Helper turns the steering (no hydraulic pressure in system) right to left and back as fast as possible. The other person then looks carefully at the juncture or connection point between the RU and steering column. If one cannot see any visible up/down movement then all should be well. A visual inspection, if ones eyes are in decent shape, can spot out of roundness in the area of +/- 0.003". The other way is to use a dial micrometer that rides in the first groove of the splined control fork that transmits steering input to the control pistons in the body of the RU.

As an aside have had to, over the years, redo that rotational alignment that was initially set up with the actual factory tool. These days I just use a dial micrometer if and when I have to replace a rack on one of my cars.

Steve
    Last edited by Citroenfan; 4th March 2016 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    This is the alignment tool I made to that drawing:

A couple of notes:

Where in the drawing it says ∼100 mm... that does not take the center eccentric into account.
    If you have it, it's much better to do 130 mm. or you'll have to recalculate the 81.5 to account for it.
    130 should go well past it and touch the actual tube, as meant to do.

Having changed a few steering boxes by now, I find this tool, well, pretty useless.
    On later models with the battery on the driver's side and a lot of stuff in the way, actually counterproductive.
    Even on the first one I changed, which was easier as it had the battery on the other side, I triple-checked by having someone turn the wheel and holding a bit of wood under it.

On later ones, I just do the latter.

Because the tool is parallel at 90mm off the axis of the steering column, any point along the also parallel column will be 70mm from the tool........... thus there is no need to recalculate the 81.5, and making the 100 longer improves the accuracy of the tool.

I've found the tool VERY good..... but I made a mod... I fitted a small clamp to the top end which I clamp onto the steering column, so I don't need to hold the tool while setting the rack to it.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

A few years ago, when I was reinstalling the steering rack in my DS19, Carter Willey generously lent me his factory tool. He sent it all the way from the USA. It did not fit. I can't remember why, whether it was to do with difference between early and late cars or left and right hand drive. I suspect a bit of both. Probably not differences between Slough and French production. So now I do it by eye or with a dial gauge.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    A few years ago, when I was reinstalling the steering rack in my DS19, Carter Willey generously lent me his factory tool. He sent it all the way from the USA. It did not fit. I can't remember why, whether it was to do with difference between early and late cars or left and right hand drive. I suspect a bit of both. Probably not differences between Slough and French production. So now I do it by eye or with a dial gauge.

Roger
    A quick spray with some visible spray paint over the critical mountings atop the relay housings to mark exact locations will ensure the correct positioning for future disassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    A quick spray with some visible spray paint over the critical mountings atop the relay housings to mark exact locations will ensure the correct positioning for future disassembly.
    Not always possible if the rack has been reconditioned and painted, or you are replacing a different rack. It also presumes the removed rack was correctly aligned.

I have to go through this process soon (again) and will be using a dial gauge (magnetic base).

With regard to the factory tool it has been mentioned here that removing the centering cam makes the tool easier to use and more accurate.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Chris is on the money. I suspected the rack had not been properly aligned. Otherwise I would have used some dobs of paint.

And in early cars the cam is way up the steering column. Between the instrument panel and the firewall in the earliest versions, which is why the spring compressor is designed to fit through the hole in the firewall for the steering column.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Because the tool is parallel at 90mm off the axis of the steering column, any point along the also parallel column will be 70mm from the tool........... thus there is no need to recalculate the 81.5, and making the 100 longer improves the accuracy of the tool.
    What I mean is, I made mine 100 mm. between those points. Then I tried it, it could not touch the column because it touched on the center cam instead.
    It does that on both my cars ('68 and '72).
    Instead of remaking it longer (130 would do) I measured the cam thickness (I think it was around 16 mm.) and took that off the center screw.
    That's also why I triple-checked visually on the first one I changed, then eventually I worked out that if I always ended up checking the accuracy of the tool in other ways... I might as well use the other ways directly

Thread Information