New engine mount adjustment on D Special
  • Register
  • Help

Default New engine mount adjustment on D Special

Hi
    My engine is now married to all it's auxiliaries and ready to drop back in.
    I know there are measurements etc in the manual for setting the height of the engine mounts, however an experienced 'D' man, advised to just set them to the highest point as they will only settle.
    Any negative experiences in following this advise? Will the bonnet smash into the air cleaner etc?

Steve

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

It was standard practice here to go as high as possible with a thread or two left on the big centre stud. That did allow extra drop via age/gravity, however it tends to have some fuel injected cars with little wriggle room above the engine assembly. It is a tight fit with the extra manifold and pipework. On a carburettor car that is not an issue. There is not a great amount of clearance between the bracket on the block and the top of the pressed angine mount. Age causes the mounts to sag and then the two metal surfaces touch and grumble under power....not braking. When you get it all up and running drive a short distance without the bonnet on and you'll see the upwards "cranking" as the car brakes and the downwards sagging as it transfers starting torque. I am with your D man.. the most "travel" the better.

Fellow Frogger!

PS in the early 70s a local D man had some molds made and experimented with poly mount inners rather than the factory rubber ones. It took several experiments with the "toughness" formula as the tougher ones were harsh and grumbly. The process was abandoned.
    I have known some replacement mounts ( back in the 80s ) ... original factory supplied ones that did not have a long service life, so who knows how the modern rubber "mix" is faring. My last DS was a 23 injection with air and a B/w auto box. It cooked right side front spheres AND engine mounts regularly.

Thanks for the reply and confirmation of the 'D" man's thinking.Will be lifting the engine / gbox combo in this weekend. I am always shocked at the load placed on the lifting point attached to the water pump casting provided. Cheers
    Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frog View Post
    Thanks for the reply and confirmation of the 'D" man's thinking.Will be lifting the engine / gbox combo in this weekend. I am always shocked at the load placed on the lifting point attached to the water pump casting provided. Cheers
    Steve
    You will be amazed at how perfectly balanced the engine/gearbox assembly is when using that lifting point.

Thread Information