• 3 Post By JBN
  • 2 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 1 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 4 Post By Boydie

Thread: CX rally car for sale

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default CX rally car for sale

David Hastie—0‎ to Rusty Wrecks- Old Cars,Trucks and Motorbikes Buy Swap and Sell
    13 mins ·
    Citroen cx 2400 gti ex rally car.
    $10,000 — Brisbane, Australia
    THIS IS THE CAR THAT DID THE 1979 REPCO RELIABILITY TRIAL AROUND AUSTRALIA DRIVEN BY JIM REDDIEX (australian world rally champ )AND (SCOTSMAN ANDREW COWAN WHO WAS A 2 TIME WORLD RALLY CHAMP )IF YOU GOOGLE THE RALLY THE WHOLE STORY IS ON THERE, IF YOUR WANTING A BIT OF RALLY HISTORY AND A CAR THAT'S BEEN WRITTEN ABOUT IN BOOKS HERE'S YOUR CHANCE.SORRY I FORGOT TO PUT PICTURES UP IF YOU'RE INTERESTED I CAN SEND THEM TO YOU .CHEERS ☺
    Didn't the aussie cars fail in rallying because they didn't upgrade the driveshaft snap ring ( as they were known for "popping" when the car got airborn).

Fingers crossed they post some piccies. I'll post them here for everyone to enjoy/admire

Advertisement

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Yep, that'll be one of them right ? (not that I'd know, I was only about 4years old at the time ).

Who's up for buying some Aussie motoring history ?

I know nothing about them sadly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX rally car for sale-cxrally.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

where did you pick up the ad Shane????????
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

And a Prestige at Tara on Gumtree - don't ask me, I know nothing more than the ad.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

JBN

I have seen photos of a Jim Reddiex CX that had the front spheres on extensions so that they protruded through the bonnet. This was an attempt to cool them a bit as the pounding on the rough roads heated them up.

I would have thought there were better ways to cool the LHM.

John

If you look at youtube you will see lots of different details between the car in the above pic and that in the rally.
    Spheres on the rally car are showing above bonnet 29.35 into youtube she is resting her elbow on the right sphere.
    4X4 driving at 32.18.
    Kris Kristofferson 55.54.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

There was probably several cars entered. I honestly don't know. I wouldn't be brave enough to say this isn't one of them

it's an earlier narrow arch cars, so is the correct era

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX rally car for sale-cxrally2.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I have seen photos of a Jim Reddiex CX that had the front spheres on extensions so that they protruded through the bonnet. This was an attempt to cool them a bit as the pounding on the rough roads heated them up.

John
    The problem is, if your suspension cylinder seals are good, there is very little exchange of fluid with the system.... so the fluid in the cylinders and spheres is captive, and heated by friction through the damper valve.

If the extensions were finned and cooled by an air duct, that would be better than trying to lose the heat through the top of the sphere.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

JBN

From memory of the photos, I think it was only the actual spheres that protruded through the bonnet. I presumed that they used extensions to raise their height, but they were not visible in the photo.

Maybe they were just to show the other drivers that the CX had balls?

John

There was only 1 Citroen in the repco and it was driven by Reddiex/Cowan. It did have the spheres through the bonnet so I don't why this one doesn't.

In my opinion they were the real winners of the Repco. It was called the Repco Reliability trial and yet the 3 winning Commodores were being rebuild at every service point, Holden bragged they did the event without doing an oil change but that was because the sump guard got squashed against the sump and they couldn't get to it but they changed diffs and drivelines every chance they had. The CX on the other hand were total privateers and were running 3rd behind the HDT cars and catching them all the way to Darwin with only the spares and tools they could carry and a fraction of Holdens budget. At Darwin the driveshaft broke and put them out but they were true winners in my book.
    Last edited by David Cavanagh; 2nd March 2016 at 11:44 AM.
    alhantos and Vincenzo like this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

maybe it has another bonnet!!! ah spare me.

JBN

No wonder the driveshaft broke if the rut they hit put the two front spheres through the bonnet.

John

Interesting story, apparently by one of the volunteer support team members for Jim Reddex - http://www.mgccq.org.au/13%20The%201...0Adventure.pdf

Edit:- Entry list - http://repcoroundaustralia.blogspot..../entrants.html

http://autopics.com.au/79515-andrew-...ability-trial/
    Cowan/Reddix/Beaumont
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reddix car.jpg 
Views:	1393 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	81200

http://autopics.com.au/79555-george-...ability-trial/
    Harris/Ross/Boyd
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harris car.jpg 
Views:	1220 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	81201

Both cars appear to have protrusions coming through holes in the bonnet
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 2nd March 2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added stuff
    addo and Vincenzo like this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

That's interesting. I have no memory of the other CX and I followed the event fairly closely. Doesn't look like they did very well that's probably why.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

A great read there (the PDF).

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    That's interesting. I have no memory of the other CX and I followed the event fairly closely. Doesn't look like they did very well that's probably why.
    Wasn't there one Citroen, which was involved in head on accident?
    dee see likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Wasn't there one Citroen, which was involved in head on accident?
    Possibly thinking of the 1968 London to Sydney DS driven by Bianchi and Ogier

Quote Originally Posted by citroenet
    And then, disaster...

The race was all but won by Bianchi and Ogier. Not far from the Nowra control point, 156 km (98 miles) from Sydney, with Ogier at the wheel and Bianchi dozing in the front seat, the DS 21 hit a Mini head on in a section of road that was supposed to be closed to the public.
    The DS 21 was wrecked and Bianchi was badly injured.
    Paddy Hopkirk arrived on the scene and promptly threw up any chance of winning the rally by turning round and going for help.
    It was rumoured that the occupants of the Mini were a pair of off-duty policemen who were both `drunk as skunks'.
    Andrew Cowan went on to win the Marathon in his Hillman Hunter.
    Daily Express London to Sydney Marathon 1968

Cheers
    Chris
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I was in the "other" Citroen with Bruce Ross and George Harris (Harris Farm Markets fame), the car was an ex-works car having done the Academos and another, I can't remember the name of. The car had 80,000 klms of HARD rallying before the start of the event and was pretty tired. George rolled it outside of Woomera, we spent 3 days at Broken Hill (mostly at the Pig and Whistle Pub!)waiting for a windscreen to drive back to Sydney.The rally was a nightmare, with no time for sleep if you were "back in the pack", I doubt the Citroen would have made the distance, it was a bundle of Fatigued stresses......

VIP Sponsor

I was in the Repco in a 404 wagon, we retired at Darwin due to running out of late time, largely due to the points closing up and we being too tired to work out what was wrong.
    We stayed in Darwin for the following week with a 404 owner, Terry Howard and his family. The whole week we were there the Cowan, Reddiex, Beaumont Citroen sat abandoned in the middle of a roundabout in the centre of Darwin with a tow rope hanging off the front of it. Jim Reddiex was surprised to hear this when I told him a couple of years ago.

VIP Sponsor

There was a huge crack in the top of the LHS windscreen pillar when I looked at the car in Perth. There should be evidence of a repair around there or it isn't genuine.
    Is this still for sale, I couldn't find it in the site that advertised it. I would be interested if genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Yep, that'll be one of them right ? (not that I'd know, I was only about 4years old at the time ).

Who's up for buying some Aussie motoring history ?

I know nothing about them sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post

John
    Second London-Sydney Marathon CX in Adelaide en route......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX rally car for sale-london-sydney-cx-1.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

In your valued opinion

What was the best reliable car after all said and done ( replaced )

Thank You

VIP Sponsor

What, in the 1979 Rally?
    The Commodores of course. The reason being that the team was properly prepared. The Citroen team withdrew leaving a low key entry with Andrew Cowan driving which was a plus, together with Jim Reddiex an expert in Citroen, but the service crew was just Jim's brother. The official Peugeot team withdrew leaving the low key diesel effort with Bob Watson and Garry Harrowfield. If they had run a Ti they probably would have placed in the top 6. The Volvo team wasn't well organised and they had terrible trouble with the Bilstein Shocks on the rear, but with Ross Dunkerton driving managed 4th outright. The Ford team had a great car in the Cortina but no time to sort it out. The Cortinas won all but one of the divisions, trouble was they were different cars ! (Bond and Carr). The Audis didn't have the rally experience behind them but maybe their effort gave them a lot of information which they then used in the Quattros a year or two later? For what its worth the only car of the top group which didn't have body cracks at Perth was the Portman Datsun Stanza.
    Personally speaking our 404 wagon effort was hampered by using a rusty shell and compounding that by fitting a hypoid diff from a later car. The shells were entirely different and the time taken to sort these two issues meant that the car wasn't sorted. The wagon wasn't a failure in the end as it competed in club motorsport for many years after the Repco and finished up doing a few Variety Club bashes sponsored by Mars, the first being with Steve Monaghetti as a crew member.

VIP Sponsor

Anyone know what happened with this sale? Jeff Beaumont is trying to locate it, 40th Anniversary events coming up.

Thread Information