C5 X7 spare
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shanadoo

Thread: C5 X7 spare

1000+ Posts

Default C5 X7 spare

While it's fresh from annoying me, does anyone have a simple solution to the spare tyre in a C5 X7 banging about in the boot? Don't say screw it down, because there isn't one (Cits are quirky). I'm about to cut some timber wedges.

There is a strap which only holds the foam tool tray, and cannot be got really tight. I think it was designed by the same "engineer" that put a leaf trap on the air intake around the wipers.

Advertisement

The strap in my tourer comes up around the tyre and over the top where the tool holder sits in the basin of the tyre. I sometimes have more success getting it tighter than at other times, but I don't think I have ever heard it banging around. Maybe you need to get your spheres checked??? hahaha.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

That buckle can't be got tight enough, and isn't all that easy to undo. Because the tyre comes to the underside of the boot floor you can't put something under the strap to tension it either. I have thought of changing it for a truck tie-down. There's a blanked off hole in the well where somebody thought there should be a stud.

Don't they have speed humps every few metres up your way? You need a Cit here to preserve your teeth.

I'd go harvesting at a DIY wrecker and find a through the centre hold down system.

Or grab some M12 allthead and some hefty washers. If you are lucky the wheel brace will fit the nut. (19mm ?)
    Last edited by robmac; 27th February 2016 at 08:29 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

try cutting 4 large squares from one of those $3 foam groundsheet thingies, use a dollop of contact on each corner and glue them under the wheel. The wheel will sit firm and eventually make a nest for itself. Works for me.
    UFO likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    (19mm ?)
    17mm head
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information