• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New frog

Tadpole

Default New frog

Hi all,

I'm an older franco-phile when it comes to motor cars. Currently have a 2.7HDI C5 exclusive 2009 I think it is.
    This vehicle replaced a 2010 Renault Laguna. Going back I bought a 2.0HDI 2003 C5 wagon new, my first ever Citroen was a 1220 GS Club that I owned in the UK as a backpacker way back in the 80's.

Advertisement

I've just become unemployed and was looking to do an oil and filter change on my 2.7HDI C5. I have bought a filter through Sparesbox. I intended to use Penrite 5W30 fully synthetic oil.

I've kind of scared myself away from this due to not even being able to locate the filter......
    Any clues?

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Welcome back to the dark side.

Sorry, but I can't help you on the oil filter on your C5. Our last factory export was in 1973, you see......
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David290361 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm an older franco-phile when it comes to motor cars. Currently have a 2.7HDI C5 exclusive 2009 I think it is.
    This vehicle replaced a 2010 Renault Laguna. Going back I bought a 2.0HDI 2003 C5 wagon new, my first ever Citroen was a 1220 GS Club that I owned in the UK as a backpacker way back in the 80's.

I've just become unemployed and was looking to do an oil and filter change on my 2.7HDI C5. I have bought a filter through Sparesbox. I intended to use Penrite 5W30 fully synthetic oil.

I've kind of scared myself away from this due to not even being able to locate the filter......
    Any clues?
    Did you get the correct low ash oil .... You need to make sure you get the right oil with modern diesels.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Hi Hotrodelectric I see now you're in the US. Ignore below!

Simca is it then? My Grandmother had a P60 way back........................

Hi David

Its on the fuel tank this was answered last year if you care to search the site. Same as the 3.0 liter engine.

Cheers Andrew

Tadpole

The oil filter is on the fuel tank? I know the battery is in the boot............

Tadpole

Thanks DS/ID
    The oil filter is on the fuel tank? I know the battery is in the boot............
    I read that you needed an absolutely enormous 3/4" drive socket to get the cover off the oil filter!

1000+ Posts

The Penrite oil is called ENVIRO+ DL-1. SAE 5W-30 low SAPS. There are a small number of other brands if you look up the oil threads on this forum. The wrong oil can be very expensive in the long run.

Location? Here New frog-2.7-hdi-oil-filter.png
    addo and Hotrodelectric like this.

Tadpole

Thanks seasink,

Thats the stuff I got.......... $70.00 odd at Supacheap..

I also found the same diagram using a google image search but only noticed now that it in the vee between cylinder banks.
    Would you agree?

1000+ Posts

In the V. A better view here New frog-2.7hdi.jpg

It sticks out more in this pic than it does in real life. Be careful undoing it, don't break it. The resistance comes from the O ring seal. Use a spanner, preferably 6 point hex.

Tadpole

Thanks again Seasink. Much clearer now. I'll pull the top off and have a look. I had thought that it was underneath from my first look at the diagram I found.

I'm gonna do the same for my daughter's Alfa 159 2.4 diesel as well.

Thanks all!

1000+ Posts

Do not be tempted to use a strap wrench or other compression type on the housing!!!

Tadpole

I won't seasink. I have a good selection of 1/2" drive sockets. I'll get the one I need if I haven't got the correct size!
    Thanks again.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Hi David ,

Not much fun being made redundant, and I know every dollar counts. But maybe next time you do the oil change, go for the real stuff:

Total Ineo ECS 5W-30 which is really the oil you should put in a HDI turbo. Don't know about Perth but I guess you should find it for $80-$90.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Tadpole

Hey Harrisson- Citroen,

I was trying to get some Total Quartz oil, can't now remember what grade it was, the same as was used in a Peugeot 304 I also owned a few years back, but couldn't even find any here in the Great Western Sandpit.

Even when I could afford to pay the blatant rip-off prices that the dealers here charge, they didn't put Total brand oil in it.

Total was my first choice, but no-one has it. I chanced on a garage near Eucla in the middle of the Null-a-boring that had Total oils, but sadly didn't get any while I could.

Thanks for the advice.

1000+ Posts

We get it here in Brisbane through " Onshore Oils" the local importers. Am pretty sure it was $85 last time, maybe more now.

Plus freight but maybe still worth looking at if you want to save the turbo. (from what I hear).....

http://www.onshoreoils.com.au/

Tadpole

Yeah in Maddington. Miles away, I'll ring 'em now...........
    Thanks.

Tadpole

Golden West have 5l containers of the Total Ineo ECS 5W-30 for $32.00 each.........
    Guess where I'm going now?

1000+ Posts

Standard warning - never get under the car unless the body is supported. I change mine on ramps with jack stands for backup safety. You must never trust the suspension not to lower onto you. You may need a hex key for the sump plug.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The Penrite oil is called ENVIRO+ DL-1. SAE 5W-30 low SAPS. There are a small number of other brands if you look up the oil threads on this forum. The wrong oil can be very expensive in the long run.

Location? Here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.7-HDi-oil-filter.png 
Views:	276 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	81001
    Holy geeze. Basically the same location as a GS. I wonder if removing it makes the same mess.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Standard warning - never get under the car unless the body is supported. I change mine on ramps with jack stands for backup safety. You must never trust the suspension not to lower onto you. You may need a hex key for the sump plug.
    It can't be stressed enough. I lost a friend when his D came down and suffocated him. He was just going to have a quick look underneath for an oil leak. Please- be careful.

$32 for 5litres....... UNREAL!

You sure they didn't say....1litre?

1000+ Posts

I'll bet there's a 5 bottle minimum purchase (a carton). Since there's more than 5L he needs two at least.

Hotrod, these new PSA filters drain back when you ease off the cap with the cartridge in it, so when you lift off there's only a little glop dripping off the cartridge. A rag around it is enough. The bad bit is that they have to be treated as fragile or you are in trouble - they are sold as an assembly.

I'll bet there's a 5 bottle minimum purchase (a carton). Since there's more than 5L he needs two at least.

Hotrod, these new PSA filters drain back when you ease off the cap with the cartridge in it, so when you lift off there's only a little glop dripping off the cartridge. A rag around it is enough. The bad bit is that they have to be treated as fragile or you are in trouble - they are sold as an assembly.
    What, just really thin metal? I can't see that as plastic. Ridiculous that it's an assembly only.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information