• 2 Post By addo
  • 4 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By FedGrapes
  • 1 Post By Danny Robins
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By Grey_Lover

Thread: Facebook BX Club UK - Be-careful/Don't

Default Facebook BX Club UK - Be-careful/Don't

Couple nights go i came across a post inviting more Australians to join the Facebook BX Club UK (No fault of Frog he would not have seen this coming) so i went and joined it. 20 mins after sending my request to join i was accepted and posted a couple of quick posts. 6 mins after joining i was flagged by the facebook BX Club UK as having a false name and locked out/banned from my profile until i sent facebook 2 photo id's that flipper man"" is my birth name. I had been on facebook for more than a decade and only had contact with my cousins interstate and in Canada using it and a couple pinball groups, let alone my family and photo updates of my 5 and 1 year old nieces. I can't believe a person would do this because of the name flipper let alone someone trying to assist and get involved in the magic of BXing. Checking facebook new policy an example is anyone called Stanley using Stan as a first name and is flagged, is locked out till the 2 photo id's are provided and Stan is then updated by FB to be Stanley - no choice. Owing to a personal issue involving the words sexual assault and stalker i won't be giving FB any form of id as the animal involved knows my name and could set up a fake account with fake info to access my friends list and locate her. NO WAY. So thanks facebook BK Club UK you just wreaked a decade of enjoyment.

Advertisement

So if you are as old as me and joined FB all those years ago with a user name you now have to use your real name, however you can continue as is till someone or some group flags you. Look out Jim, Bill, Fred etc etc.

Not sure how Elton John and SIA etc have not been flagged as they are not their real names.
    pug206gti and FedGrapes like this.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz

Faceache has a grossly inflated idea of its own righteousness. An entity which allows racists and trolls to post their bile, yet in multiple instances someone who puts up (say) a screenshot of hateful ranting posted on their page, gets banned - not the offender!
    CarNut and UFO like this.

Guess thats another reason (of many) why I never succumbed to FB
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Spot on

They say "never say never" but I too will never succumb to it. But I could be a politician?!

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    Guess thats another reason (of many) why I never succumbed to FB

Default Facebook BX Club UK - Be-careful/Don't

Sorry flipperman! That is crazy indeed. My Facebook name is false. I also have a few friends (military / Police) that for work reasons have purposely incorrect names for privacy. Hope you can get your flipperman name back somehow!
    Last edited by frog; 25th February 2016 at 12:27 AM.

Fellow Frogger

That's a crazy situation. You are a 'good' user for years and the mere act of joining a new group has this result. Being such a rapid response, it's possibly some checking algorithm responding to specific user actions rather than a real BX-owning human dobbing you in. Were you able to check with the UK BX 'responsible' person(s)???

Yet a near faceless organisation like the PCA can create a new page using a supposedly catchy name other than it's own real and registered identity and spread their disinformation:
    https://www.facebook.com/Dont-Play-W...1207176918017/

It's poor on all fronts. Avoid or use with care and don't reveal too much. Especially, since the changes to what they refer to as 'privacy'.

With luck, Rupert will buy it too and send it to wherever MySpace has gone.
    Last edited by David S; 25th February 2016 at 09:43 AM.

My FB "usage" consists of occasionally reading over my dearest person's shoulder.

The impression is one of mostly codswallop. Fluffy, time-sucking distractions abound - they swamp meaningful content. It results in a lack of normality, as all the dross takes the place of real minutiae; serious events require over-hyping to get noticed.

1000+ Posts

Facebook is blocked at my gateway, so no machine here can go there (despite endless references from the newspapers - monitor your connection attempts). What irks me though is that bushfire and flood up-to-date messages are posted there instead of on the proper websites. And why on earth do police stations use it?

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    That's a crazy situation. You are a 'good' user for years and the mere act of joining a new group has this result. Being such a rapid response, it's possibly some checking algorithm responding to specific user actions rather than a real BX-owning human dobbing you in. Were you able to check with the UK BX 'responsible' person(s)???
    Checking with Facebook a user must flag your account for having a user name and not a real name. I've also read a number of articles in relation to this issue and Facebook are having hundreds and thousands of "former users" not providing Id's to re activate your account.

As the user can not flag you unless they accept your request, you can now see the timeline. Joined - request accepted - username is not real - Bang & Banned.

What does upset me is they could have just asked what the flipper was all about & I would have told them.

Though I saw the name of the person who accepted me, I can't remember it and can't access the account to find out.

Even if someone from that user group (why is it FB now not called "Name Groups" I would not think they could reverse the lock/ban.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    My FB "usage" consists of occasionally reading over my dearest person's shoulder.

The impression is one of mostly codswallop. Fluffy, time-sucking distractions abound - they swamp meaningful content. It results in a lack of normality, as all the dross takes the place of real minutiae; serious events require over-hyping to get noticed.
    It's a tool that can be used or misused. Onus is on the user to extract a meaningful experience.

Most don't.

My daughter has on odd occasions shown me the sort of things that can be seen on Facebook.

I would consider being unable to access it as Life Enhancement.
    CarNut likes this.

UFO

I am a long time user of FB and use my proper name. I only use UFO on here as that is the name of my D Special.

What does amaze/stun me is what some people will write using their own name and the words they will use. Next time I am doing a recruitment process I will be looking at FB and other sites for each applicants name.
    FedGrapes likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO, you will a lot of employers (me included) have been doing that for a while.

Fellow Frogger!

I agree with you, UFO. I also amazes me what some people will put on Facebook using their own name. I think it shows a basic lack of awareness and/or impulse control in some instances.
    Looking at "friends" of "friends", I am often left wondering if some people have any idea how ridiculous they come across. Particularly when I see young caucasian australian males messaging each other publicly, trying to come across as if they're hip hop gangster types from "da ghetto". If I was looking to employ somebody, read their Facebook profile and found THAT crap, I think I'd be looking elsewhere. Seriously.......call me judgemental or driscriminatory or whatever you like, but I'm afraid I don't have a lot of time for dickheads that wander around with their trousers so far down over their arses that their jocks are hangin' out or blokes in their 30's or 40's riding BMX bikes. That might sound ridiculous but believe me, they're out there. Wandering down the street with skateboards under their arms.
    Probably getting a bit off topic here but there ya have it....there's my rant for the day

You have no idea how much I want to ride my BMX bike again.

Quote Originally Posted by CarNut View Post
    I agree with you, UFO. I also amazes me what some people will put on Facebook using their own name. I think it shows a basic lack of awareness and/or impulse control in some instances.
    Looking at "friends" of "friends", I am often left wondering if some people have any idea how ridiculous they come across. Particularly when I see young caucasian australian males messaging each other publicly, trying to come across as if they're hip hop gangster types from "da ghetto". If I was looking to employ somebody, read their Facebook profile and found THAT crap, I think I'd be looking elsewhere. Seriously.......call me judgemental or driscriminatory or whatever you like, but I'm afraid I don't have a lot of time for dickheads that wander around with their trousers so far down over their arses that their jocks are hangin' out or blokes in their 30's or 40's riding BMX bikes. That might sound ridiculous but believe me, they're out there. Wandering down the street with skateboards under their arms.
    Probably getting a bit off topic here but there ya have it....there's my rant for the day
    I used to have the same types come into my shop, slack fart trousers at half mast, never been outside of London, white, yet speaking a Jamaican patois. It was no wonder they were always arguing and mouthing off at each other, neither could understand what the other was saying. They certainly had a total vocabulary of less than 100 words.

Sorry, my rant over now

I came off Facebook when my ex wife wanted to be 'friends'.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    You have no idea how much I want to ride my BMX bike again.
    i still ride mine : ) good exercise . i got kicked off fb for having an alias name . they wanted photo id to see if my name was
    grey_racer .. i couldnt prove it .. so i never replied . i signed up with my real name .. how boring
    frog likes this.
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6
    fx holden historic race car

Thread Information