Throttle body/air doser (doseur)
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By Ken W

Thread: Throttle body/air doser (doseur)

Default Throttle body/air doser (doseur)

Anyone know if these perform the same function?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

The doseur isn't a throttle. Diesels accelerate by increasing fuelling, unlike traditional petrol engines which control air supply (and the fuel carried in it) .

The double valve aids warm up by enabling bypass of the turbo aftercooler. The restriction can also provide a small depression in the manifold plenum space to aid input of recycled exhaust gas, which enters through a distributer behind the doseur, which is vacuum operated, subject to computer control.

The plenum space has a row of ports in the base (basically holes in the floor) that lead to one set of inlet valves and then the space terminates in separate passages which lead to the other inlet valves. The two inlet passages in the head (vertical and horizontal) are arranged to provide air swirl in the cylinder.

PS I dug up a French motor text book - my translation
    A doseur is used to restrict or prevent the passage of gases through the heat exchanger in regeneration phase of the particle filter and adjusts the pressure difference between the inlet and outlet to control the flow of EGR gas. The butterflies also serve to modify pressure irregularities due to the inertia of the turbocharger.
    Last edited by seasink; 24th February 2016 at 12:01 PM.
    addo and ScotFrog like this.

Thanks seasink. I have been advised that I should replace the double doseur on the C5 in order to clear an engine fault code. The price quoted for a genuine ( Valeo) part was astronomical. The engine runs fine. The annoying part is the warning on start up and the engine light and service light displayed. Do you know of a reasonable source for this part. Or of any other alternative I may have.
    Allan.

1000+ Posts

It isn't hard to find a source for the previous model at about 75 euros, but one for the RHH engine is hard to find. Perhaps email one of Addo's eastern Europeans.

Haha, yes the Latvians and Poles often seem to have OEM bits... Getting anything out of the Russia or the Ukraine is fraught, $100-upwards just for postage and it may not even make their borders before disappearing mysteriously. From personal experience (limited) Bulgaria, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Czech Republic and Poland all seem to be fairly OK with Fleabay style trading and expectations. Just make sure anything is 100% new and either genuine OEM or a genuine marque branded part. OEM quality is a rubbery term.

1000+ Posts

torquis? or collare?

Would L'Orient or equivalent be worth contacting? These aren't complicated things.

Possibly so, if it's made by Bosch or MM it shouldn't be too marque specific either.

1000+ Posts

Mine is by Valeo - 24 quid gets the earlier RHR model.

PS Found this Pug RHH - you'd have to check the part number - they must be made of something precious - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3018129317...610&rmvSB=true
    Last edited by seasink; 24th February 2016 at 07:10 PM.

Folks, KORA Trade were OK for me. I just bought a air con compressor from them for a Xantia. It was fun watching it come from Latvia via Germany, and then the USA.

Cheers, Ken
    addo likes this.

1000+ Posts

They appear to be located in Kaunas, Lithuania. Soviet era building. Neither Kora nor their neighbours have any signage.
    Last edited by seasink; 24th February 2016 at 10:21 PM.

They have a Lithuanian fellow in the UK who handles some of their sales.

Saw the Peugeot doser but following the link it said that it was not compatible with the Citroen motor.
    Looking at the pictures, there seems to be a sensor missing on the out feed of the doser.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep looking as well as trying to resolve the problem without changing the unit.
    The pictures were great for the detail of the O ring size.

1000+ Posts

That exact same part and picture shows up on Ebay sites all over Europe. Poland, Italy, etc etc. The euro prices vary.

Problem has not been resolved. I am unable to leave the car with the dealer for any length of time for them to resolve the fault. So on my way back from Launceston, on cruise, it suddenly dropped out to PAUSE. Would not re set. Also the turbo stopped working. Stopped for a coffee and all was well again until a slight rise in the road caused the turbo and cruise to stop working again. I continued on with neither working.
    It will be a while until I can leave I with the dealer.
    The OEM part price for the doser is $2500.( unbelievable).
    Called Martin Bray in Adelaide (name supplied by the service coordinator)and he is able to supply a part for around $660.(The dealer had diagnosed the engine fault to the Doser.)
    So. I decided, when I got home,Throttle body/air doser (doseur)-img_1142.jpg to do my first delve into mechanics on the car (after nearly 6 years). I unbolted the Doser and the pipes running into it. All I saw was a thin Oring between the Doser and the manifold and there are 2 valves with actuators (Pneumatic) for each. The Oring was damaged, with a fairly large piece hanging off it as though it had been trapped when installing. The Doser is a very tight fit and must slide into place because of the fitting brackets. The Oring is rather strange, it is much thinner than the groove it fits in, but there are small nodules spaced around it to keep it central in the groove. Not having a replacement part I put the Oring back.
    The 2 valves operated when I manually pushed the actuator levers. The left valve has no electrical connections. The valve looks as though it had never been opened. There was no pneumatic connection to the valve actuator. ( so I assumed it had never operated).
    The right valve had electrical and pneumatic connections.
    Question. Why have 2 valves when only one operates??
    Before re assembly, I wiped up into the manifold the Doser is connected to ( looks as though it comes from the rocker cover) and it had lots of very black oily crap in it. Is this normal I wonder (re breathing rocker cover fumes?).
    The engine behind the Doser has a film of oil on the parts. This may be due to the damaged Oring?.
    One of the reasons the dealer suggested I replace the Doser was the damaged Oring, this part is not on the parts list and the whole Doser assembly must be replaced (how ridiculous, for the price of an Oring).

Martin in Adelaide called the Doser the throttle body. He commented that this part has caused problems before.
    I assume this complicated system is all part of the new anti pollution regulations.
    I can't see why a standard Oring could not be fitted. (Any thoughts on this?).
    Why have 2 valves when only one appears to be working?
    There is a rubber pipe hanging below the front of the motor that is not connected to anything, I wonder if this is off the left valve actuator. I am reluctant to try to connect it as it may be some kind of drain.

What does this part ( the Doser) have to do with the turbo and the cruise control.
    The part is a Valeo make. Valeo parts have been the only parts that my Citroens have had trouble with in the past13 years.
    Last edited by tasie C5; 3rd March 2016 at 10:10 PM.

Just found a post on a UK peugeot rcz forum that shows the exact same doseur. aka will be following th

1000+ Posts

"Throttle body" is re-using a term from petrol engines. As I posted above it isn't really. It is very much concerned with the turbo, EGR, and air intake system. Did you download the DW10C engine pdf I referred to in another thread?

The valves are in the head, at the bottom of the inlet tubes. The oil source is likely to be the turbo or EGR.
    Throttle body/air doser (doseur)-doseur.jpg

Some Australian C5s only have the main inlet. The bypass one is blanked off.

Where does the rubber pipe connect to ? I only have a DW10BTED4 but there is a rubber pipe that drains the surround to the fuel filter housing so that you can drain away the fuel with pollutants rejected by the filter and left in the bowl at regular intervals if you want. It can also be fitted to the top to expel all the air from the bowl after fitting a new filter.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

The DW10C has a different filter, but with a transparent plastic water drain tube at the back that drops down under the doseur. You should put a jar under it when draining. The bleed operating screw is at the front.

The pipe must be a drain.
    Bart Ebben have a doser for E150 ($224) it has done 87,000km. I'me a bit reluctant to go for it as it is almost as old as mine. I noticed the pneumatic actuator rod is worn on mine, the hole in the end of the rod has been made oval with use operating the butterfly valve.
    The fault is more frustrating than anything else.
    So I may have to wait until I can leave the car with the dealer.
    Could anyone say if the cruise is controlled electronically or with pneumatics. It seems that the turbo system is linked in some way to the cruise.
    Seasink. I did download the engine detail wonderful illustrations can it be got in English.

Allan.

Thread Information