Oh dear, starter motor DSuper5
  • Register
  • Help

Default Oh dear, starter motor DSuper5

So, I've taken off the Ducellier starter motor type 6225A.

Advertisement

The feeble cable to the solenoid wanted to fall off, which it did, leaving the ring terminal behind.

I tried a bit of heat, then a bit more heat, then the bastard stud on the solenoid snapped off.

How do I get the solenoid off?

The plate at the brush end is held on with a bolt which is prevented from rotating by pressings in the washer underneath it. The yoke end won't come off because the starter pinion hits a stop. I've tried removing the stop with no luck.

I expect I'll buy that new type of starter but I can't let this one beat me!
    Last edited by badabec; 24th February 2016 at 06:16 AM.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    So, I've taken off the Ducellier starter motor type 6225A.

The feeble cable to the solenoid wanted to fall off, which it did, leaving the ring terminal behind.

I tried a bit of heat, then a bit more heat, then the bastard stud on the solenoid snapped off.

How do I get the solenoid off?

The plate at the brush end is held on with a bolt which is prevented from rotating by pressings in the washer underneath it. The yoke end won't come off because the starter pinion hits a stop. I've tried removing the stop with no luck.

I expect I'll buy that new type of starter but I can't let this one beat me!
    IIRC, those are brass studs. I've never heard of that before. Someone must have used a trained gorilla to tighten that down.

You'll have to remove the starter to get the solenoid off. Just above the nose cone (where the pinion is) is the mount for the solenoid. Release the 4 nuts and you should be able to get the solenoid off. Remember that there is an actuating fork in there against the armature, you'll need to disassemble that out of the solenoid by withdrawing the long center bolt. Don't lose the insulator.

For reference, this is out of parts book 648, pg 217, and service book 814-2, op D533-2.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger

I'd guess it's much the same as a 6200A. I found this helpful page a while ago:
    Google Translate
    You might get just the solenoid body off without doing more as it's the plunger that is connected to the fork. Changing the fork is more involved, but if you are able to take the starter out easily, overhaul it while you have the chance.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I'd guess it's much the same as a 6200A. I found this helpful page a while ago:
    Google Translate
    You might get just the solenoid body off without doing more as it's the plunger that is connected to the fork. Changing the fork is more involved, but if you are able to take the starter out easily, overhaul it while you have the chance.
    That's a great site. I've got that (HD19) bookmarked, and it leads to a massive amount of tech bulletins at: Documentations CitroŽn DS ID

You can set Google if that's your browser to translate the pages automatically. Unfortunately, the bulletins are JPEGS, so they're treated as pics.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Hello, thanks for the link, bloody marvellous

Peter

Thread Information