Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 2 Post By Motorgnome
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: BX front stuck... One for the knowlegable

Default BX front stuck... One for the knowlegable

Hi guys.

I have finally made my BX mobile again...it's finally off the hoist. One problem I have is that the front suspension does not rise & fall. Now, a bit of history (recent) on work that I have recently completed.
    1./ All spheres regassed, Accumulator sphere replaced.
    2./ HP pump re-sealed by Pleiades (was leaking)
    3./ power steering control valve resealed by Pleiades (was leaking)
    4./various return hoses replaced/repaired.
    5./LHM tank removed, cleaned, filters cleaned etc.
    6./ New LHM
    7./New front sway bar drop links

Advertisement

A whole heap of other work was also done, but would have no relationship to the problem.

The suspension worked correctly before I worked on it.

When first started, I had the height set on "high". It rose to the full height, front & rear. I then moved it to low, & only the rear went down. I thought something might have happened with the front height corrector, so I hoisted it again ..Pulled a little on the linkage ..It went "shhhhhhhh" & down it went. (after I dropped it back on the ground). I played with the height adjuster, up & down, but only the rear reacts. The front is not right down, as I was able to take the legs of the hoist out from underneath it, but it is not reactive to the height adjuster. My first thoughts are some shit has become stuck in the front height corrector...but you guru's out there would have a better idea than me.

Thanks

Has the dogbone become unhooked from your height corrector?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That' linkage you pulled off .............................. Put it back on DO NOT GET UNDER THE CAR UNLESS THE HOIST IS SUPPORTING IT
    UFO likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Motorgnome View Post
    The suspension worked correctly before I worked on it.
    Plenty have experience with that outcome!

If all the linkages are connected, then you might look at whether you disturbed the relationship of the corrector linkage to the roll bar or whether there is debris inside the corrector. The two sides of the corrector are connected via a small orifice with a damper and debris will prevent fluid moving either way, which prevents the valve moving as it should. That is a very common cause of the sort of problem you have encountered.

I would echo Shane's comment. Don't ever be under the car or pull on any height control linkage unless it is supported so it absolutely cannot fall on you!
    frog likes this.

When the anti-roll bar moves sideways, the height corrector linkage ball can get out of position with respect to the cup link on the height corrector. You need to make sure this is a snug fit and then lock the antiroll bar with some clamps against the bushes so it cannot move again. If this ain't the problem then refer to explanations about blockages some of the orifices that can make the height correctors get very lazy or stop working.

Ken

Fellow Frogger

Yes, I had this sort of issue on a DS23. After changing the front roll bar bushes, the correct lateral position was set and the car would mysteriously cycle up and down at the front. The explanation was simply that the relocation had caused a new lateral loading on the corrector spindle and it would bind and then let go repeated, so it overshot in both directions. After some head scratching and swapping one serviced corrector for another, moving the linkage along the roll bar a fraction resolved the fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    When the anti-roll bar moves sideways, the height corrector linkage ball can get out of position with respect to the cup link on the height corrector. You need to make sure this is a snug fit and then lock the antiroll bar with some clamps against the bushes so it cannot move again. If this ain't the problem then refer to explanations about blockages some of the orifices that can make the height correctors get very lazy or stop working.

Ken
    Ahhh... I bet that is it Ken. As you remember, the anti roll bar had moved over & was chewing on the bottom radiator hose, amongst other things. I have moved the bar back to a central position & clamped it as you have suggested.. So that is quite likely what has happened.

Thanks for the warnings about the car being supported whilst working on the hydraulics.. Rest assured, I'm not going to have any damn car take me!

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

All good now. Thanks everyone, for your knowledgeable replies. The ball on the height corrector was still in the socket on the dogbone, but is was forced over to one side & not pushing squarely on the height corrector. Quickly sorted. I haven't got the front ride height correct (a little bit high) but that should be an easy fix...I bet I go the wrong way first!

Cheers again everyone.
    UFO and JohnW like this.

1000+ Posts

Not quite your car (BX 16) but I thought you might like the strut section BX front stuck... One for the knowlegable-strut.jpg
    Motorgnome likes this.

Thread Information