Video Showing Tailgate Strut Replacement in 2006 C5 Wagon.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Video Showing Tailgate Strut Replacement in 2006 C5 Wagon.

I just uploaded this.
    Thought some might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDxS2NoQaYo

Advertisement

Excellent, thanks for making it 456eec, or can I call you 45 for short?

All the more relevant to me as I have a red 2006 wagon the same, and yes, the struts are getting weaker.

I've sourced a set of second hand units with the aim of having them re-gassed before swapping them over.

I'm curious to hear opinions as to why they have that circlip there in the first place. Logically it seems to me that all four of the struts are in a constant state of compression whether the tailgate is up, down or in between. This being the case, it seems superfluous to hold the tapered ends into the holes.

Knowing Mr Citroen as I do, however, I'm pretty sure there's a reason, but it's not obvious.

The only thing I can think of is to prevent them pulling out of the locating holes is the tailgate (or glass) is lifted further than the nominal height, but, given the weight of the tailgate at least, this seems unlikely.

I'd welcome thoughts on this.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Hi Pottsy
    I read on the British forum that they can't be regassed but cant confirm that. Have you checked?
    If they could you could have had mine but they have been binned now.

I drove around for a couple of months without the clips no problem. I guess it's just a general engineering principle to affix both ends.
    They may fit the struts to the body on the assembly line at the factory and do the interior trim before the tailgate is ever fitted. Then it would just be a matter of fitting the gate, connect the harnesses and click the struts on.
    Also the tailgate may be taken off for crash repairs and the struts will be retained in place.

Just my thoughts!
    Other Citroenisms I've had to deal with in the 3 1/2 years I've had the car is replacing the swirl valve actuator in my 2.2 HDI (on this site) and replacing Eolys. Let me know if you need any advice about those!

Regards

Justin

Thanks Justin.

I suspect your surmise about assembly line ease may be on the money. As much as I tend to dislike second guessing Mr Citroen's Engineering Team, I'm prepared to branch out a little in the name of expediency. I'm inclined to actually try to shortcut the process a little by attempting to pull the old ones out from the hinge end, hoping the old circlips pop off. If that was the case, then refitting and/or changing would not involve disturbing the roof lining.

A bit 'brute force and ignorance' I know, but I may give it a crack. Nothing to lose if it works I reckon.

I haven't sought out any regassers yet. Been busy on a couple of other projects. I suspect the window struts should be regassable as they're not a lot different to most other struts. The main ones are a bit of a mystery though, since they seem to have a firmly attached shroud which may get in the way of any re-pressurising equipment.

Once I find a place to approach, I'll find out more.

In the meantime, thanks, and keep up the good work.

Oh, and Mephistopheles is a 2 litre, not a 2,2 so doesn't have that pesky swirly thing. As for the Eolys, according to the Lexia, it's still got plenty so fingers crossed I won't have to cross that bridge for a wee while yet.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

I doubt as to whether the circlips will drop off to allow you to remove the struts nevertheless, whether the struts can be "re-gassed" simply depends on the type of seals used - one way seals will not allow regassing. All struts will eventually lose compression and if the manufacturer has adopted the throw away principal; so be it, there will be little that strut re-gassers can do. If double acting seals have been used, I do not believe that the protecting shroud would be the key, not withstanding that it could no doubt be disposed off.

Regards,

John

PS: I too will be attending to these struts when my shoulder recovers from surgery and when I do remove them, they'll be taken to Gas Strut Engineering in Fawkner (Victoria) to see what they can do with them. More than one way to skin a cat by the way (poor cat), possible to cut off existing ends and reweld to conventional struts if length and pressures are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Thanks Justin.

I suspect your surmise about assembly line ease may be on the money. As much as I tend to dislike second guessing Mr Citroen's Engineering Team, I'm prepared to branch out a little in the name of expediency. I'm inclined to actually try to shortcut the process a little by attempting to pull the old ones out from the hinge end, hoping the old circlips pop off. If that was the case, then refitting and/or changing would not involve disturbing the roof lining.

A bit 'brute force and ignorance' I know, but I may give it a crack. Nothing to lose if it works I reckon.

I haven't sought out any regassers yet. Been busy on a couple of other projects. I suspect the window struts should be regassable as they're not a lot different to most other struts. The main ones are a bit of a mystery though, since they seem to have a firmly attached shroud which may get in the way of any re-pressurising equipment.

Once I find a place to approach, I'll find out more.

In the meantime, thanks, and keep up the good work.

Oh, and Mephistopheles is a 2 litre, not a 2,2 so doesn't have that pesky swirly thing. As for the Eolys, according to the Lexia, it's still got plenty so fingers crossed I won't have to cross that bridge for a wee while yet.

Cheers, Pottsy

Just a quick update on this,

I've chatted with David at Gas Strut Engineering and as long as I can dismantle, he's confident he can either regas or substitute for new units.

The dismantling is not super simple, but I've achieved it and I'm now in the process of creating a tool to dismantle and reassemble the units. (mainly a fancy spring compressor)

The actual strut assemblies appear to be standard items with M8 studs at each end.

Further news (and piccies) once I've (a) completed the fancy tool and (b) been back to see David.

Could take a week or two, got a lot on at present.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

There's a newish video on Youtube showing a guy who buys stiffer generic struts for the glass then unscrews the end of new and original ones. One is 6mm and the original 8mm I think. He just fills it up with glue. Wouldnt be hard to get some adapters machined up assuming the main struts are the same. I still have one old one so I will have a look. I have a mini lathe so might look at doing the project in case anyone needs to do it in the future.

You wont get the struts out without removing the clips. I thought it was scary lowing the headlining but it was very easy and I didn't break anything. You wouldn't know it's been done.

Justin

Just another quick update.

The struts CAN be re-gassed. I visited David today and he's done his voodoo on 3 of the four (I left one at home like a nong!)

My strut disassembly/reassembly tool is progressing nicely and once completed will be the subject of a "Pottsy Treatise".

More news as it comes to hand, and the time becomes available.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Thread Information