• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By Ken W

Thread: 2005 C4 - Starting issue question

Tadpole

Default 2005 C4 - Starting issue question

Hey, so the wife's C4 (the gift that keeps on giving) is now playing up when starting. Am about 90% sure it's the starter motor, but wanted to see if anyone could think of another area before I go throwing wads of cash at this thing again!
    Scenario is, Fired up fine and I drove to work. About 20mins later, went to start it up and nothing. Lights/radio etc work, but no turning over. "Ok, flat battery" I thought. A friend hooked up jumper cables and we tried again... nothing. Gave it a push in 2nd gear, jump started it ok and drove home.
    2 days later, again it started fine, drove for a while and parked. Went to start 10mins later and nothing.

To note: recently had a gearbox rebuild and new clutch. Not sure if this could have caused an issue. Was driving fine afterwards for months. Tried charging the battery till full and tried using jumper cables, neither got the car started.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Petrol 1.6??? If the battery is fine (say, under 4yo and load tested OK), you have eliminated the starter and poor connections, then possibly the engine slave / relay/fuse box is suspect. You could try swapping one from another car/wreck of the same type. It is not VIN coded, but you want to make sure it is the correct unit.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Have you tried the old trick of giving the solonoid a hit with a long stick or bar, then trying again or even when trying to crank . If that works then the starter needs an overhaul or at least a new solonoid probably. Common type of failure on any brand.
    Jaahn
    FiveSoFar likes this.

I presume you are getting a click from the starter solenoid, but nothing further? If so, then it will be starter brushes too worn. This is pretty typical way starters fail - with everything cold and contracted, there is enough brush contact to start the motor part turning but with everything hot and expanded, brushes lift just enough off the armature to open circuit the motor part.

Either get a cheap chinese version off ebay or get yours rebrushed at greater expense.

Cheers, Ken
    FiveSoFar likes this.

Tadpole

Sorry for delay... been stuck working.
    Yes, petrol 1.6 Manual.
    Engine bay fuse box was replaced 12 months ago.
    Battery is 2yrs old, but may be suspect. I haven't tested it other than putting it on to charge till the light turned Green.

Key in, turn and get a "click" but that's it. Connecting a "jump pack" or leads from my Ford result in the same single "click", no crank. Pushing the car in 2nd gear and popping the clutch does start the car.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Yah- the starter is very suspect. Check all connections to the starter and ensure nothing of the cables is broken, all are tight and clean. If that still doesn't do the trick, take the car to your favorite sparky and see if he can perform a cranking test. You might also be having a problem with the starter overheating from exhaust heat transfer- that is, if the motor is on that side of the engine. Components expand, then bind up and won't be free for some time until they cool down.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Was there ever an answer to your situation, Dogue? One of my Xsaras was doing as you describe. Tap, tap on the starter motor would get it to behave for another 'start', but that got old quickly. A new starter motor installed, and she's going like her old self. 240+K on the clock... I love that car!
    Xsaras
    It is definitely an obsession!
    C4
    C5

Thread Information