2cv chassis
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 2cv chassis

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2cv chassis

does anyone know if there any 2cv new chassis available new in australia, a spare stashed away somehwere, origional or galvanised would be fine,

i am looking for someone who has a car falling in half and would like it fixed.

Advertisement

Peter, I would have said that I don't like the chances, except I was offered one (which I accepted) when I started on the rebuild of Gaston.

I suspect they're others out there, but possibly being hung on to against future need.

I will have a rusty one available for anyone who wants it once I complete Gaston, but at present it's still got all the suspension bolted to it and I don't anticipate it becoming available for some time yet.

I believe that 2CViking was putting together a container of miscellaneous stuff for Australia. If it hasn't left France already, perhaps it could contain a new chassis for your friend?

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

1000+ Posts

Default Hmmm some ambiguity ?

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb View Post
    does anyone know if there any 2cv new chassis available new in australia, a spare stashed away somehwere, origional or galvanised would be fine,

i am looking for someone who has a car falling in half and would like it fixed.
    Hi Peter,
    If you are "looking for someone who has a car falling in half and would like it fixed" then look no further Cťst moi !

If you are looking for a new chassie then, sorry Non.
    Could not resist, sorry jaahn

Has John Parsons sold the one he had for sale on the CCCV website recently?

Ken

Hi Peter,

I'm working on getting one shipped out of UK- freight is not that bad - pm me if you are thinking to go that way.

Hi Pottsy,

I would be interested in getting your rusty chassis - I am thinking to try and make one good one out of two rusty ones for my ripple bonnet. Having said this, it would be around 6 months before I could do anything about it.

How are you progressing on Gaston?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Quote Originally Posted by andrewj View Post

Hi Pottsy

How are you progressing on Gaston?
    I think the word 'slowly' is le mot juste.

I've got the replacement chassis blasted and only need to finish welding in a small section to replace the only rust it had in it. I've also got some steel sections to weld on as extra reinforcement.

Once that's done and painted I can sit the old and new chassis side by side and start swapping suspension bits over. (Cleaning, greasing and painting as I go of course)

The body is on its side in my carport awaiting the fabrication of a couple of small sections. I've welded in braces to hold the shape while I change panels over, but have only cut one floor out so far.

I have new floors, sills, toeboard, windscreen panel, quarter panels, boot floor and tail light panel all standing by in the garage. Even got a set of adventure bumpers waiting to be attached. Damn near a complete car in Ikea flat pack or so it seems.

The main thing lacking has been time and welding ability. The latter is being addressed, the former is something over which none of us have control.

Six months should see some progress, I'd like to think.

In the meantime, I need to finish building the new engine for the Mini, maybe create some sphere tools, then, who knows what will pop up next?

An elderly mother and a brand new Grand Daughter are also in the mix. Who said retirement was a time to relax?

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Guess I have to own up to being the guilty party mentioned earlier by Andrew.
    As well as sorting out a chassis for his Dyane (plus offloading some of the Dyane wreckage that I've accumulated over the last 30 years ), there'll also be a chassis on its way to Rob over in Perth.

On a slightly different tack, could I ask if anyone on the forum knows if Robert Shackley in Canberra is OK?
    He'd been in regular email contact with me until a month or so back, then things suddenly went quiet ...

Ken

JBN

If anyone else wants a new 2CV chassis, 2CViking in France is organising his container to leave later this month.

He lists the standard black chassis at 795 euros and the galvanised at 955 euros.

I reckon the standard black is fine in Oz. I still have the original 1986 chassis on one of my 2CVs that has lived in Australia since 1995.

John

That must have been a good one. Back in the early 90s, I was replacing 3 year old original Citroen chassis and the factory replacements sometimes didn't last much longer.
    When we cut them in two for ease of disposal, there was very little paint and any rust-proofing which had been applied to the interior had usually been sprayed from the underside, despite the multitude of access plugs on the topside for that purpose...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/301328...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/301328...posted-public/

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I reckon the standard black is fine in Oz. I still have the original 1986 chassis on one of my 2CVs that has lived in Australia since 1995.
    John

They look like cardboard! Very instructive photos.

JBN

The 1986 car (last of the French built) was owned by a mate of a 2CV mechanic in the UK. He poured sump oil into the chassis on a regular basis.

A 1989 2CV (Portuguese built) had the bottom of the chassis rust, but a new bottom and a couple of litres of fish oil should keep it OK for a long time in Australia.

The new standard chassis are supposedly cataphorically dipped.

John

Fellow Frogger!

I heard Bob Shackley is importing several disc and drum brake galvanised chassis from Uk soon

Thread Information