• Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mberry
  • 1 Post By PeterMol
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 3 Post By WRB

Thread: Weber overhaul

Default Weber overhaul

I wanted to replace the press fit fuel feed line on the carb. I'm glad I did, it came out pretty easily, frightening that there are cars running around that could so easily catch fire.

Advertisement

A timely warning for anyone that hasn't changed the press fit fuel line on their DS.

I know Richo made some kits available a while back, which were/are excellent, but for anyone looking..... Supacheap have plenty of different sized threaded fuel feed pipes in multiple sizes available. Then just pick up a tapping die to suit.

While I was there I decided to use a reco kit I had. Amazing how much dirt had accumulated in the bowl. Certainly the most I had ever seen, surprisingly the car was running pretty well, despite the state of the carbie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weber overhaul-img_3077.jpg   Weber overhaul-img_3079.jpg   Weber overhaul-img_3719.jpg   Weber overhaul-img_3716.jpg  
    ajaxvte likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    I wanted to replace the press fit fuel feed line on the carb. I'm glad I did, it came out pretty easily, frightening that there are cars running around that could so easily catch fire.

A timely warning for anyone that hasn't changed the press fit fuel line on their DS.

I know Richo made some kits available a while back, which were/are excellent, but for anyone looking..... Supacheap have plenty of different sized threaded fuel feed pipes in multiple sizes available. Then just pick up a tapping die to suit.

While I was there I decided to use a reco kit I had. Amazing how much dirt had accumulated in the bowl. Certainly the most I had ever seen, surprisingly the car was running pretty well, despite the state of the carbie.
    Good one Michael, looks like coffee grounds in there. That probably would have freed up with the use the car is getting now and given you some strife. . .

I sold off my stock of the fuel fittings (ex Richo) to Roger at Citroen DS/NZ to help fund his site.
    He still has stock if anyone is yet to fit the 'fire saving' modification. Thanks to Richo and Bob Dirks.
    Scroll down the index page here Citroen DS NZ

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It was buttercup Bob that made up the kit years ago wan't it I think he turned down the barbed fittings in his lathe! It's really easy to to cut the thread off center unfortunately (at least that is what I found) when I threaded the new fitting in

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Need to do the exactly the same with my car.

I had a frightening leak from exactly that spot just a couple of weeks ago. Only reason I noticed was that I was working on the front suspension at the time and therefore had the bonnet up etc.

I redid the press fit but certainly need a better and more permanent solution. I've already been in contact with Roger in NZ!

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Need to do the exactly the same with my car.

I had a frightening leak from exactly that spot just a couple of weeks ago. Only reason I noticed was that I was working on the front suspension at the time and therefore had the bonnet up etc.

I redid the press fit but certainly need a better and more permanent solution. I've already been in contact with Roger in NZ!
    Looks like Roger is out of the 9mm x 1mm bottoming taps, if you have trouble locating one let me know and I'll send mine down as a boomerang

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger!

Alistair
    I have the tapping piece as just did on my car. You are welcome to it

Peter m
    GreenBlood likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    Alistair
    I have the tapping piece as just did on my car. You are welcome to it

Peter m
    FWIW- here in the hinterlands of the USA a fair number of us used a brass barbed fitting with a 1/8" NPT. The small end of the tapper is around 9.3mm and the larger end is 10.3mm. The only thing is that the existing hole must be chased with a "Q" sized tap (0.332" is the decimal equivalent). I have found, typically, that however or what ever way one goes, it is best done on the bench

OTOH, I and some others, have also just cemented the existing brass inlet tube back into the top plate with a HQ 2 part epoxy cement. Once set up one would have to literally destroy that inlet tube to remove it. My 72 has the threaded barb fitting, the 69.5 Break has the cemented version.

Steve
    Last edited by Citroenfan; 19th February 2016 at 05:32 AM.

I noticed Grainger list an M9×1,25 bottoming (plug) tap. Wondered if the slightly coarser pitch as compared to 1.00mm may be better in soft alloy. Dear as poison, though - $55 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I noticed Grainger list an M9×1,25 bottoming (plug) tap. Wondered if the slightly coarser pitch as compared to 1.00mm may be better in soft alloy. Dear as poison, though - $55 USD.
    Not much better, but the correct thread M9 x 1 - $33.00 right here in Aus
    Metric Fine Hand TAP M9 0 X 1 0 HSS Bottoming | eBay

Peter has offered his and mine is available for loan and return

Cheers
    Chris
    addo and mberry like this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I overhauled my Webber on the coffee table in the living room last night. The kids were ropable so I had to remind them who paid the rent. you can hardly smell any fumes this morning...
    GreenBlood, mberry and David S like this.

Thread Information