New Citroen buyers need to ask this question
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New Citroen buyers need to ask this question

Default New Citroen buyers need to ask this question

Just back from checking out a 2015 plate sale Citroen, and having been caught before I thought I'd better ask when the 6 year warranty on the car in question ran from.
    Compliance date 1/15, the warranty ran from 12/14, so a "6 year" warranty becomes 4 3/4 years if I bought the car today.
    Not quite as big a gap as on my current DS3, when Citroen claimed the warranty started 2 months before compliance, but this seems to be their common practice so it pays to check before you sign as you may well be getting less warranty than the salesman suggests.

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

1000+ Posts

Sounds odd. My C5 warranty, 3 years then, ran from purchase/delivery date, not compliance date.

Have you checked what's printed out on any invoices from your dealer as the warranty start date?
    My salesman dated my DS3 logbook the day I bought the car, but Citroen didn't agree that the warranty ran from that point.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger

New car or a demo? If it's a demo, even with delivery kms and not even registered (dealer plates), then it's effectively a used car and you would get the balance of the warranty. Also, the 'plate' date may be the compliance date and it can be well after the build date. Check for both.
    shanadoo likes this.

Regardless of whether it's been driven on dealer plates, I find it strange that Citroen can claim the warranty starts before the car has been complied, as surely it cannot be legally driven on Australian roads before the compliance date?
    Bruce H

If you look at car details on the service Citroen site, there is a warranty start date that the factory set as a default to of about 3 months after manufacture. It would appear that if your car is not purchased brand spanking new, this date sticks but if it goes through a new car pre delivery inspection, then perhaps this date gets reset to the day you signed the papers (along with the odo being reset back close to zero as well). That is what has happened in two different purchases in my family over the last 8 years.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

I've just looked up my particulars. The contract of sale includes build date, compliance date, and the date I signed (by fax). The car was delivered to my home for a cash exchange two days later. That bit might be a little unusual. The entire deal was done over the phone.

The Warranty certificate states that the warranty runs from the "effective date of delivery". It then says that date is on the page - it wasn't filled in (probably because the VIN etc was filled in prior). The certificate is stamped, which the fine print says is the validation.

PS One odd twist was that while owned by the dealer it was driven registered to me. I copped a bluey!!! (It was graciously fixed up).
    Last edited by seasink; 17th February 2016 at 12:15 AM.

Fellow Frogger

I guess it's just another sold unit to the French and maybe even still 'in bond' without a compliance plate. There is probably no effective cross-checking to show that oddness up. Another trap may be that some items, say friction items, within that 6 years might be covered for a shorter period, so could be almost out by the time you take over the car. It's a case of needing to read the terms of the warranty and check dates.

The car I looked at today was built mid 2013, so the 3 month from build formula doesn't work, and it must still have been in bond 12/14 when the warranty started, a month before compliance. The more I think about it the more I wonder if this car was yet another of the many new hail damaged cars that got complianced after the November 2014 storm, and whether the 12/14 warranty was maybe started when the insurance company got control of the vehicle.
    The 3 month from build formula wouldn't work for my DS3 either, but what works better is a warranty start that is the date the vehicle was delivered to the concession holder (when it became the property of their finance company?) but this formula wouldn't make sense for the car I saw today.
    So as I said in my initial post, if you're buying a new/ never-registered Citroen make sure you ask this question, as there seems little reason to how it works.
    Last edited by Bruce H; 17th February 2016 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Correction/ addition
    jaahn likes this.
    Bruce H

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

That's unfortunate you get shorted on the warranty. Here in California at least, it starts the day of first purchase. IOW, it can sit on a dealer's lot for a model year or two- doesn't matter. You still get the full 6 years. IMHO, that's how it should be.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if this car was yet another of the many new hail damaged cars that got complianced after the November 2014 storm, and whether the 12/14 warranty was maybe started when the insurance company got control of the vehicle.

That practice- much more common here with flood damaged new cars- is seriously frowned on. In many states, you are supposed to be told/warned that the car was damaged like that. There are some pretty heavy penalties if you pass off damaged cars as new/not salvaged. This does not include the all too common light shipping damage (bumps, nicks, chips, etcetera).
    shanadoo likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

It's about time Australia adopted a uniform law on new/used car sales instead of this make it up as you go, open slather on the mug punter system we currently employ here. We should at least adopt some part of the more civilized USA consumer protection system, including the lemon hand back or whatever it's called. Including used cars.
    jaahn likes this.

It is important if buying a used car that is claimed to have remaining new car warranty to check what the warranty start date on service citroen is. We had a car that was claimed to have 18 months warranty but when checked only had 3 months remaining despite having less than 10,000 km on the clock.

Cheers Ken.

1000+ Posts

The warranty period commenced on the effective date of delivery for my vehicle. The current Citroen website conditions say
    The warranty start date is shown on the Owner and Vehicle Identification page of this booklet and the warranty period will subject to any exclusions and the terms and conditions in this booklet, extend from that date for a period of 6 years for qualifying CITROňN vehicles or for a period of 3 years or when the vehicle as travelled 100,000 kilometres whichever is the earlier for all other vehicles.
    Presumably one now has to check the booklet page before making the deal. I suspect the cars seen by Bruce H are "demos" or some other form of second-hand cars, perhaps, repaired.

Any statement on a website is unreliable. It only reflects current warranty conditions. In six months time it could be quite different.

Unless you have a copy of the website "conditions" of the warranty at time of purchase you have no real idea of what the ground rules are.

It seems a very poor attitude to me to extend a 6 year warranty and then to quibble about a few months or weeks of warranty.

Enough to make me look at other manufacturers.

Many of whom state Warranty conditions in plain English and on the purchase invoice. Typically warranty starts when the car leaves the showroom or the registration date.

Edit: If it's so difficult to determine the warranty period, I wonder how difficult a claim on a faulty trans would be like in 5 years.time?
    Last edited by robmac; 17th February 2016 at 09:50 AM.
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    It's about time Australia adopted a uniform law on new/used car sales instead of this make it up as you go, open slather on the mug punter system we currently employ here. We should at least adopt some part of the more civilized USA consumer protection system, including the lemon hand back or whatever it's called. Including used cars.
    Yah, they're known simply as "lemon laws". They apply to just about anything with a warranty, but most famously with cars. Typically, the new car has been at the shop for a certain number of days over an accumulation of visits (say, 20 days over 5 visits) for the same or similar problem (I.e. the fuel system is wonky). At that point, you can apply to invoke the lemon law, because it's apparent by then that the car just isn't ever going to be right without some serious intervention. The lemon laws can also be invoked immediately if it's discovered the car suffered some major damage and was repaired, but not disclosed. Not quite so common on used cars, but still applicable if the car was warranteed for that item (even the best used car warranties do not cover like a new car one), or was an undisclosed salvage.

Salvage titles are generally legal if the condition is disclosed and the title is so marked. The cars themselves are legally roadable just so long as they meet some pretty minimal standards. We do have non-repairable salvage, but the car has to be in a rather extreme damaged state for that.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    You know Citroen has such a bad reputation out there in Australia you might think that the dealers who are trying and the new franchise which has experience elsewhere would be bending over backwards to get new customers in to sample the new wares.

But it seems to be business as usual from the past with dodgey sales with dodgey warranties. I would not recommend one to any person I know ! Why do you have to argue about a warranty in 2016.
    Jaahn
    robmac likes this.

The warranty period commenced on the
    effective date of delivery for my vehicle. The current Citroen website conditions say

The warranty start date is shown on the Owner and Vehicle Identification page of this booklet and the warranty period will subject to any exclusions and the terms and conditions in this booklet, extend from that date for a period of 6 years for qualifying CITROňN vehicles or for a period of 3 years or when the vehicle as travelled 100,000 kilometres whichever is the earlier for all other vehicles.

Presumably one now has to check the booklet page before making the deal. I suspect the cars seen by Bruce H are "demos" or some other form of second-hand cars, perhaps, repaired.

That is a possibility. Again, looking at US law (I know- not really useful to you, but the only reference I have), some dealers purchase their demos. Unfortunately for the end buyer, that's where the warranty starts. You are the second owner, so you get the balance. Usually though, to spiff the deal the larger dealers will just add in enough to cover the warranty "deficit". The car will already have gone through it's break-in phase, so this becomes a cheap way to settle the sale.

Fellow Frogger

The warranty is not dodgy. It's a question of what you are actually buying and some of these cars are simply second hand cars. It's really very important to be aware that two cars that are sitting on a lot and apparently identical may not be the same. If one has been treated as a demo (which is a form of 'sale'), even if never registered or driven, maybe not even given the $1,500 PDI car wash (unfair actually - there's more to pre-delivery today), it is no longer new stock and the price will normally reflect that. So, you'd pay full freight, or close to it, for the new car if you want the full warranty. Or you negotiate with a reputable dealer who you consider unlikely to go belly up within 6 years to cover the full warranty, if willing, as part of the sales arrangements. You'd be especially wary of apparently new cars that have turned up through private sellers as they could either be unwanted stock from a closed dealer (maybe OK) or something that has been damaged and repaired.

There is no doubt some owners will find their warranty is not as long as they thought and maybe only right at the end of what they thought was the warranty period. Fair Trading here we come ... .
    Last edited by David S; 17th February 2016 at 10:16 AM.

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    David the warranty is dodgey. If you go to a new car seller and the warranty says 6 years then you expect 6 years no matter what the sales spin is. When I buy a TV or a washing machine the warranty starts on the day I pay for it and I keep the docket to show that. Sales specials off the floor do not get the warranty clipped
    Why is it that cars are different. Dodgey sales practices preying on gullible people. Nothing else to say. The car industry is rotten and French cars have been at the loose end of it forever. Nothing changes !!
    Next there will be justification of new car servicing practices. All those things listed in the 'book' really are just suggestions and not really necessary.
    jaahn

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Just back from checking out a 2015 plate sale Citroen, and having been caught before I thought I'd better ask when the 6 year warranty on the car in question ran from.
    Compliance date 1/15, the warranty ran from 12/14, so a "6 year" warranty becomes 4 3/4 years if I bought the car today.
    Not quite as big a gap as on my current DS3, when Citroen claimed the warranty started 2 months before compliance, but this seems to be their common practice so it pays to check before you sign as you may well be getting less warranty than the salesman suggests.
    You should have told the dealer you will be back to buy the car in 12/2020. Tell him, because it is a Citroen, you want to make sure it will last the warranty period.

John

Makes Kia's 7 year warranty look straightforward.

Warranty Policy Statements - Kia Motors Australia

Citroen must think they sell their vehicles on another planet. Where warranty is running out before you purchase the car and whilst it's in transport. Not to mention that you don't have the benefit of driving it.

I'd think the TPC And Fair Trading would love to tackle this anomaly.

I am collecting a "new" 2015 C4 tomorrow.
    The invoice notes the build date (3 June 2015) and the compliance date (8/15).
    I have been informed that there is a 6 year warranty that will commence tomorrow (first day of registration).
    However it is interesting to read the "small print" as it states the first 3 years (or 100,00km) the warranty is covered by Citroen France with the next 3 years being covered by Citroen Australia ie: SimeDarby.
    If SimeDarby goes bust what happens to the remaining period of the warranty.

Brian W

I hope it turns out to be a great car, and rewards your faith in the marque!

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by slough40 View Post
    However it is interesting to read the "small print" as it states the first 3 years (or 100,00km) the warranty is covered by Citroen France with the next 3 years being covered by Citroen Australia ie: SimeDarby.
    If SimeDarby goes bust what happens to the remaining period of the warranty.

Brian W
    Even worse if Citroen go bust.

John

Brian, the salesman told me the same re first date of registration until I pushed him to confirm with his boss that that was the case. 6 years then suddenly became 4 3/4. How were you informed?
    The only benefit was that, apparently given the car I was looking at's age, it qualified for the fixed price servicing offer valid at the time, but then the salesman couldn't find the cost details for that model on the Citroen site.
    You won't be keeping the C4 that long anyway, will you ? Isn't this your third one?
    Bruce H

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information