• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By TimS
  • 2 Post By netmatelot

Thread: DS23 Safari external door handle removal

Tadpole

Default DS23 Safari external door handle removal

Hi All, can anyone tell me if I need to remove the door glass on a 23DS Safari to take the external door handles off? getting ready for paint and would rather take them off than mask around. cheers.

Advertisement

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by camsmith74 View Post
    Hi All, can anyone tell me if I need to remove the door glass on a 23DS Safari to take the external door handles off? getting ready for paint and would rather take them off than mask around. cheers.
    '73 Safari so I guess a late model with flush door handles?

Yes, it's a bit awkward but can be done - mostly by feel. Wind the glass fully up, you need to release the connecting rod from the handle to the locking catch 8mm socket. Then feel for the two 10mm nuts left and right of the handle - once removed the handle can be removed.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS23 Safari external door handle removal-d-flush-door-handle1.jpg  
    camsmith74 and addo like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Yes, to access the 2 retainers.....
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

Tadpole

Ah good man. thanks Chris.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by camsmith74 View Post
    Ah good man. thanks Chris.
    hahaha, you may not say that when you report back with skinned knuckles

I think if had had 4 to do as you have I'd go the easy option and withdraw the glass, very easy once you've been there a few times. Trickiest part is opening the spring clamp.

I found another use for the steering column spring compressor which made that task so much easier, just slide the tool in place and twist using the lever.

GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Tadpole

ingenious! I shall have a go and report back. thanks again!

A hammer handle also works.

Incidentally, that spring compressor was designed for the early DS19 when the steering column clamp was between the firewall and the dashboard. You had to remove the glove box to reach a tool in to loosen the clamp and you had to reach the compressor tool up through the firewall to recompress the spring. Later cars had a spacer so the clamp was moved into the underbonnet area and there is no real need for the specially shaped compressor tool. When I first undid that clamp on my 1959 DS19 I had to remove the glove box. Then Bob gave me a spacer and now I don't need to bother.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    A hammer handle also works.

Incidentally, that spring compressor was designed for the early DS19 when the steering column clamp was between the firewall and the dashboard. You had to remove the glove box to reach a tool in to loosen the clamp and you had to reach the compressor tool up through the firewall to recompress the spring. Later cars had a spacer so the clamp was moved into the underbonnet area and there is no real need for the specially shaped compressor tool. When I first undid that clamp on my 1959 DS19 I had to remove the glove box. Then Bob gave me a spacer and now I don't need to bother.

Roger
    The right hammer might work, I remember throwing 3 different hammers across the workshop in frustration before spying the steering column spring compressor and giving it a go - when the lever is twisted it locks the clamp in the open position allowing two hands to free the glass.

When the same tool is used as designed, on the late cars you can use one hand to compress the spring and the other to use the correct T-tool to tighten the clamp - not much room with the sphere in place and an aircon compressor, probably not dissimilar to your BVH Safari - unlike the early cars.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

A complete dismantle of a front door:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdF-yvocrw

At 9:15 you find another smart way of opening the clamp holding the glass. I use two plastic ice scrapers letting the glass slide over the clamp when I remove the glass, but I guess these are hard to find in Australia.

Enjoy the wonderfully quirky Dutch! I have absolutely no idea what he says, but the guy shows how things could be done in a very informative way. I recommmend also to check his other videos for more tips.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by TimS View Post
    A complete dismantle of a front door:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdF-yvocrw

At 9:15 you find another smart way of opening the clamp holding the glass. I use two plastic ice scrapers letting the glass slide over the clamp when I remove the glass, but I guess these are hard to find in Australia.

Enjoy the wonderfully quirky Dutch! I have absolutely no idea what he says, but the guy shows how things could be done in a very informative way. I recommmend also to check his other videos for more tips.
    Same principal, he struggles to turn the pipe without the lever but achieves the same result leaving two hands free to remove the glass.

I have all of Egbert's tutorials bookmarked, using the text translator in youtube provides belly laughs

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Hello, I used a pair of pliers, once twisted they opened up the clamp.

Question: my clamps have the remains of a rivet where they touch the glass. Should there be a protective pad between the metal clamp and the glass?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, I used a pair of pliers, once twisted they opened up the clamp.

Question: my clamps have the remains of a rivet where they touch the glass. Should there be a protective pad between the metal clamp and the glass?

Peter
    Should have a felt pad, some of mine have hardened and broken away leaving the rivet - I haven't yet worked out how I'm going to deal with that.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Use my method…get someone else to do it!
    addo and Lasya like this.

Thread Information