• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By simca1100

Thread: C4 radio antenna adaptor

UFO

Default C4 radio antenna adaptor

Early last year I installed a Kenwood sound system into Mrs UFO's 2007 C4. It works fine (bluetooth and all) except for the radio antenna connection.

We were supplied with a variety of Aerpro brand adapators to enable integration of the Kenwood with the C4's CANBUS etc and one of the cables was APA59 which is the antenna adaptor that changes from the Japanese style connector to the Euro type on the C4's cable. A link to an image is here. APA59 Audi 02-up din ant adaptor | Aerpro

I suspect, just a hunch, that the blue wire with the metal clip needs to connect somewhere (ah der!) and am curious as to whether that should be an earth point or a switched 12v supply. The reason I ask is the radio reception in the car is poor and I recall I have not connected this cable.

Advertisement

Your advice would be appreciated please.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Early last year I installed a Kenwood sound system into Mrs UFO's 2007 C4. It works fine (bluetooth and all) except for the radio antenna connection.

We were supplied with a variety of Aerpro brand adapators to enable integration of the Kenwood with the C4's CANBUS etc and one of the cables was APA59 which is the antenna adaptor that changes from the Japanese style connector to the Euro type on the C4's cable. A link to an image is here. APA59 Audi 02-up din ant adaptor | Aerpro

I suspect, just a hunch, that the blue wire with the metal clip needs to connect somewhere (ah der!) and am curious as to whether that should be an earth point or a switched 12v supply. The reason I ask is the radio reception in the car is poor and I recall I have not connected this cable.

Your advice would be appreciated please.
    Did you read the manual

In other applications I have seen, the blue wire is to the motor for a power driven antenna, for a fixed antenna not required

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Did you read the manual

In other applications I have seen, the blue wire is to the motor for a power driven antenna, for a fixed antenna not required

Cheers
    Chris
    RTFM!! I work in IT - we NEVER read the manual.

Actually there was no manual.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon11

RTFM!! I work in IT - we NEVER read the manual.

Actually there was no manual.
    I like the last statement, they must get the same style of inquiry you do in IT

Quote Originally Posted by Kenwood
    Kenwood blue wire connection issue

Over the past few years, we have found an issue with the BLUE wire on Kenwood head units.

The BLUE wire is usually used to connect a power antenna. The function of this wire is to provide power to the antenna relay and make it expand, and when power is cut off, the antenna would retract.

Most modern cars no longer have a power antenna. However, there are vehicles which have an amplified antenna system, which requires power in order to receive AM/FM signals.

The issue comes up when the BLUE wire is used as the trigger for a power amplifier. Although the manual clearly states that the BLUE wire is for power antennae, many installers use the wire as the power trigger for an external amplifier.

The trigger wire on Kenwood units is the BLUE/WHITE wire. They should not be used alternatevly for a few reasons:

First, even though in essence they "do the same", they actually do not. The BLUE wire will not trigger the amp when the TUNER is not selected on the head unit, for example using the head unit in CD or USB source. The idea is that the BLUE wire would retract the antenna when the head unit is changed to any other source that is not TUNER. Therefore, the amp will only turn on when the head unit is in TUNER source, but not on other sources. Please note that newer Kenwood head units will now keep power to the BLUE wire in other sources, nevertheless, the wire should not be used as a trigger for an external amplifier.

Second, for some odd reason, the BLUE wire will cause "power feedback" (we came up with this term) to the unit and will cause it to malfunction. The issues could be anything from no sound in some sources, to no lights or no USB. The issues are countless but can all be attributed by the wrong wire being used.

Lesson learned: Read your manual and use the wires the way they are intended. And feel free to ask questions, we are always here to help.

Salectronics
    Tech Support Team
    Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

UFO

Ah, but the wire of which I speak is connected to the antenna adaptor, not the Kenwood head unit.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Ah, but the wire of which I speak is connected to the antenna adaptor, not the Kenwood head unit.
    Well it is, but via the DIN connector - just isolate and tape it off.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

If it is a late model Citroen (my only experience is with the C5), you should have an antenna in your rear window and there is a separate antenna booster. If you look carefully, it'll be a couple of stand alone elements that look like the rear window demister but aren't. The blue wire it to trigger the antenna booster for the window antenna.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by dcc236 View Post
    If it is a late model Citroen (my only experience is with the C5), you should have an antenna in your rear window and there is a separate antenna booster. If you look carefully, it'll be a couple of stand alone elements that look like the rear window demister but aren't. The blue wire it to trigger the antenna booster for the window antenna.
    Thanks - you may be onto something. The C4 does not have the internal to window antenna - it is on the rear of the roof, but I will search for the booster anyway.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

The blue wire goes to switched 12v+. It is indeed a power supply for the antenna booster. The booster is built in to the base of the antenna.

The original factory radio feeds a voltage back up the antenna wire to feed the booster which is a small circuit built in to the black plastic antenna base. Because the new radio doesn't have the inbuilt power feed to the antenna socket, the booster isn't getting power and that explains the poor radio reception. The adaptor includes the blue wire to inject power to the booster along the antenna wire. A common situation when fitting a Japanese / Chinese radio in a European car.

I have a Pug 307 with a buggered booster - rain water got inside the antenna base and shorted the booster. But my radio no longer feeds 12 volts to the antenna, I suspect the shorted booster has damaged the supply inside the radio. I bypassed the booster circuit and connected the antenna wire directly to the antenna. (I'm handy with soldering iron.) - reception is reasonable though I live in a bad reception area so it is pretty crap near home.
    UFO likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by simca1100 View Post
    The blue wire goes to switched 12v+. It is indeed a power supply for the antenna booster. The booster is built in to the base of the antenna.

The original factory radio feeds a voltage back up the antenna wire to feed the booster which is a small circuit built in to the black plastic antenna base. Because the new radio doesn't have the inbuilt power feed to the antenna socket, the booster isn't getting power and that explains the poor radio reception. The adaptor includes the blue wire to inject power to the booster along the antenna wire. A common situation when fitting a Japanese / Chinese radio in a European car.

I have a Pug 307 with a buggered booster - rain water got inside the antenna base and shorted the booster. But my radio no longer feeds 12 volts to the antenna, I suspect the shorted booster has damaged the supply inside the radio. I bypassed the booster circuit and connected the antenna wire directly to the antenna. (I'm handy with soldering iron.) - reception is reasonable though I live in a bad reception area so it is pretty crap near home.
    Thanks for the informative reply. Looks like I have a little job to do on the C4 on the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes, and may even take pics.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks for the informative reply. Looks like I have a little job to do on the C4 on the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes, and may even take pics.
    The Fakra has it's own built in booster and needs a +12v switched power supply (blue wire), the booster fitted in the OEM antenna will already have switched power.

<snip>Installation Tips

Blue wire needs to be connected to the back of you new radio wire labelled (ANT) Electric Car Antenna or (REM) Car Amplifier point</snip>
    CITROEN C4 Car Stereo Radio Amplified Booster Fakra Aerial Antenna Lead | eBay

<snip>Easy to install - Connect it inline with your antenna and connect the blue wire to your power antenna lead or another keyed 12V source - Work with AM and FM Radio Stations </snip>
    https://www.cheaper-stuff.com/ebpr/n.../361272534380/

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information