• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By WRB

Thread: "Found it" (I think)

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default "Found it" (I think)

The emulsion tube that was completely undone in my carb is related to the first barrel and it is easy to see how this would let more petrol through. The first barrel is completely covered in black loose soot. The second barrel however, looks brand new and, there is a reason for that - the butterfly was jammed shut - I have fixed it so, who knows, I may have much better acceleration.

Advertisement

Just waiting for the rebuild kit and I will know for certain that it is fixed.
    pug206gti and Armidillo like this.

1000+ Posts

We had an "L" series Subaru wagon with a twin-throat carbie. Power felt fine on small throttle openings - fine for pottering around town at low revs - but it just had no "oomph" at higher speeds. Climbing hills was embarassing! Plenty of compression (good low rev performance showed that), spark checked out OK, carbie appeared to be clean with no blocked jets.

Problem was eventually found to be a blockage in the vacuum tube that operated butterfly in the 2nd throat of the carbie! Once that was cleared the ol' girl went like a bird .

Amazing how often "serious" problems have simple solutions - hope you really are on top of this one!

Cheers

Alec

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

it might pay to strip it down and check it. The blue ID19 here had what was obviously an expert rebuild its carby. He/she did a lovely job, rheemed out and fitted a new throttle spindle etc.... And it ran like a pile of merde.... I eventually pulled the carby back down and found the throttle butterfly had been fitted backwards. It's slightly offset, this meant the idle was no good, and it would stick in the bore when the throttle closed.

It's always the simple things that catch you out

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

Similar story with a D Special I spent some time with. The basic adjustment of the linkages on the carby was all wrong. A different car after eliminating the bend on the base and simply following the factory instructions on setting it up.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Just got a can of cleaner so, it is all coming apart and getting brought back to new. i have done a lot of these - mostly on Hillmans and BMW bikes.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Webbers on CX - the internal plugs go walkies and you can't set the idle properly. Killed 2 so far.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

The internal plugs are tiny!

Thread Information