2 dead Citroens in under 2 weeks.....
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By WRB
  • 6 Post By WRB

Thread: 2 dead Citroens in under 2 weeks.....

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 2 dead Citroens in under 2 weeks.....

Advertisement

This must be some kind of record!!

The CX engine is cooked - blowing lots of blue smoke, missing on all cylinders 1 or 2 at a time and, more petrol in the crankcase than the tank

I don't think I am meant to have a car at the moment. I am not going to change the motor or rebuild it. I just cannot afford to throw more money at this car and, as I have said many times, I am in to much pain to lie around on the floor (need an operation on my upper spine)

Offers.....

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've got a motor here you can have for free .................... You have to remove it though (I don't have time).................
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

If the float valve was stuck open, then it may well have filled the sump with petrol. Is it overfilled now? That could account for the blue smoke and you will sometimes see it at startup if excess petrol washes oil off the bores. You might also have oil inside the exhaust and that will take a while to burn off, becoming more obvious once it has heated up.

Why don't you eliminate the sump petrol by changing the oil with an inexpensive 20W50 mineral oil to begin with. Clean out or replace the in-line filter and clear out the carby, then reset the float level. Drop out the needle in the float and see if it is badly worn. It might just be dirty. Then try it again.
    addo likes this.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I have been thinking about that - it started without the choke so, it may well be just too much petrol getting through.... I tend to panic before thinking things through.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I have pulled the carby apart and found the floats are set a little high but, not enough to cause any problems. They may have got jammed down. The thing that really stood out is that one of the emulsion tubes was completely undone! Not sure what they do but, I imagine that it would have been causing some sort of problem. I will put it back together later this week when the rebuild kit arrives.
    David M likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

pull the dipstick and see if the oil looks like oil. Don't run a car that has a sump full of petrol! Is it bublbing in the header tank I would have assumed you'd trash the headgasket and maybe the head if you cooked it... but not damaged the bottom end unless you drove it until it seized!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I have checked the oil and it is translucent brown so, okay. I only drove it for 5 minutes to get to Peters house so, I don't see how that could have caused all of the hesitation. There is a small pool of petrol in the intake manifold so, it has to be too much fuel getting in. Needle and seat work but, I will have a new one to put in. I think that possibly the emulsion tube just chose that moment to come completely loose causing an overflow into the float chamber but, really have no idea.....

1000+ Posts

Me thinks that the level in the float chamber should be just below the top of the emulsion tube, if the tube has come loose the float chamber would be dumping straight down the inlet manifold ,thinning out the oil allowing it past the rings ,thus lots of smoke ,try re positioning the tube with some locktight change the oil and filter ,and see how you go ,if petrol is pooling in the inlet its going to be running way rich ,if its running at all, pugs

Fellow Frogger!

Many years ago I had a 203 and the diaphram in the fuel pump developed a crack and pumped fuel into the sump .It sprayed petrol all over the trailer and filled the sump. I drained the sump and found a diaphram (not Pug) at a servo that could be made to fit ,put new oil in the sump and proceeded on to Melbourne to my Motocross meeting and back home to Sydney with no further probs.Good Luck
    Regards Dennis.

Loads of great advice in this thread......I've had those emulsion tubes loosen also one of the main jets for no obvious reason but ok once tightened.....loctite aviation gasket probably ok or just carefully tighten (not too tight) with the thickest flat screwdriver you have to avoid twisting the slot too much.

Sounds like a good idea to change the oil as soon as you can....if a load of fuel has dumped in and mixed with the oil it will look clean but won't lubricate like it should wearing things out really fast.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi Andy,

Did the loosened emulsion tube cause any problems for you?

cheers

Warren

Icon9

So you are saying the vendor of this CX sold the car with the bulb holders for warning lights, physically removed from the cluster?

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Along with cut front brake pad wires......

That's not uncommon if you mean pad wear triggers, they can be bloody frustrating - but to leave the engine warning lights out is harder to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Hi Andy,

Did the loosened emulsion tube cause any problems for you?

cheers

Warren
    I don't think it was quite as dramatic as what you've experienced Warren. I've had a couple of CX's that had a persistent problem of blocked jets and I recall I pulled over to blow crud out of the jets and found one to be loose.

If an emulsion tube is loose it would seem likely to cause fuel to seep past so hopefully this fixes your problem. Tighten it up, change the oil and let us know how it runs.

If you remove the jets it's worth blasting compressed air through and if you take the whole carby out blast some air through as many passage ways as possible. The gasket tears through the cutouts going over the jets and bits of gasket can hide in the passage between the float bowls, getting sucked up to the bottom of a jet and then settling down when you stop and unscrew to find nothing blocking.

Oh....there's always something else....ummm ...clean the airfilter housing and tube that connects to the carby, and the crankcase breather hose that connects up into the main inlet hose. If there has been a bit of blow-by this tube may be full of oily gunk. Bits of this oily dusty gunk can dislodge and block the jets, as well as charcoal from the fuel vapour recirculating canister others mention.

1000+ Posts

Another good reason not to have petrol in the sump is so it dousnt blow up ,pugs

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Well, rebuilt the carb and she runs sweetly

That's good news Warren. Well done.
    Cheers.. George 1/8th

Fellow Frogger

Good save. I guess the for sale advert will be amended again!

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

No longer for sale David - I will make an every day driver out of it or, die trying...

It will be wonderful as an every day car Warren, but perhaps some after market window tinting to keep the UV off the door trims?
    I am so glad that you now have it running well and that you are keeping it. Did the XM go to a person who wants to repair it?
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Just did the shopping in it - should get it registered within the next 3 weeks (thats when the 28 day pass expires)

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

The XM went to Peter but, he got an offer of $1000 so, he passed it on....

Thread Information