Citroen Xsara engine swap, 1.6 twin cam, what's happening?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Citroen Xsara engine swap, 1.6 twin cam, what's happening?

2002 Citroen Xsara 1.6 twin cam engine, engine replaced with a Peugeot engine of the same type using the Citroen flywheel.

Starter won't engage to turn the engine?

I have tried another starter motor, just clicks against the flywheel.

Replace the cable between the battery and the starter motor , added a jumper lead to engine to earth the battery to the engine , earth seems good.
    Under the car i was able to bridge the solenoid to by-pass the ignition switch and it still does the same thing.
    I then thought the flywheel protrusion might be different, then made a spacer so the bendix gear would throw out fully ......perhaps this was the problem. Same deal again.

It's not the battery!
    The engine turns and was a running concern.

Advertisement

Anyone been down this path or got an idea?

Check some parts diagrams to see if this combination of parts is present in relevant citroen or peugeot models???

Is the engine gearbox combo installed in the car? Maybe you need to do some comparitive measurements of the two ring gears?

Just some ideas - Ken

Fellow Frogger!

I was thinking the same thing , the ring-gear is in the wrong position now , relatively speaking.
    The gear box bolts exactly to the Peugeot engine and is the same as used in 206 1.4 cable clutch.

The flywheel must be different between the Peugeot and Citroen.
    I don't have a spare 206 flywheel to compare.

.......you wonder what goes on in the Peugeot /Citroen factories when they change stuff when it should all fit. Makes no sense.
    Last edited by Berridale; 12th February 2016 at 01:10 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

i am thinking to get a 206 flywheel.
    Maybe then the car will think it is a 206?
    If that doesn't work i will put a 206 box in it......don't need to completely re-assemble just starter and box in and if it goes that's all that matters.

You will also need a 206 clutch that hopefully will come with the flywheel and check that the clutch release mechanism is compatible with the Xsara clutch cable. The other biggy is to find out if the Xsara driveshafts will fit in the gearbox and if the diff is in the same place laterally so the driveshaft lengths are compatible.

You might be better to try to stick with the Xsara gearbox and clutch on a 206 flywheel. So do some research to see if that will fit or can be made to fit. At least this only involves getting a 206 flywheel and not the gearbox in the first instance.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

The Peugeot and Citroen gearbox's are the same , Citroen has a taller final drive.
    Your last para is right.

I will try to get a P206 flywheel......other happenings at the moment .

Thread Information