Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 3 Post By Ken W

Thread: CX problems (already...)

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon6 CX problems (already...)

I got myself a 28 day unregistered car permit yesterday and drove over to Peter dekkers place which is just 5 minutes away from me. Car ran sweetly but, on the way back it started hesitating and cutting out. Every time I had to re-start, heaps of black smoke came pouring out of the exhaust pipe. I got it home, opened the bonnet and it was really hot. The bonnet stay was burning hot to touch! Turns out the main cooling fan is not working. Just tried starting it and, it would catch, blow blue smoke from the exhaust and die. The engine turns over okay so, I am hoping I have a stuck needle valve in the carby. The blue smoke is a bit of a worry though. I will pull off the tappet cover an try and get my compression tester into the spark plug holes to make sure nothing is stuffed in the engine. There is an electrovalve on the carby and I have no idea what it's for so, an insight would be good.
    Work will have to wait as I have some jobs on at the moment that I have to finish.

Any ideas.

Advertisement

I am starting to think I just have to look at a car and it will break down......

You poor bugger. The better the intentions, the greater your risk of something going wrong.

I am starting to think I just have to look at a car and it will break down......
    I could put you to work on my professional rivals.

Oil and water levels OK? Did the temperature climb much on the gauge?

Is this the Renault type carby (32DARA)?

Sigh. Second attempt as the first disappeared.

It sounds like accumulated neglect in several areas.

I once had a worrying smoke problem that, to keep repeat typing short, was a small leak from the base plate of the Diravi unit somehow getting to the flexible joint on the exhaust. Never a drip on the floor, but serious blue smoke on start up, the amount in proportion to the time the car had been resting. I worked it out by elimination but my friendly Citroen man (skp) actually found and fixed the leak and the smoke has not returned.

I thought the solenoid was a cut out, allowing fuel through only when the ignition was on. May be wrong though.

Good luck.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

We had the electrovalve replaced on the carby CX2400 when motor would run on after the ignition was switched off. It could have something to do with cutting off fuel to carby.

The electro valve cuts off fuel supply once the ignition is turned off and prevents running on. Most have had the armature removed from them as they are a constant source of inexplicable stopping of the engine at idle, particularly with the C-Matic once the voltage gets low at idle speed.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I am hoping that the problem is oversupply of petrol as that should be an easy fix - I will take the carby apart after I checked compression

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I"ve never seen a CX blow blue smoke. Sounds like you have broken the oil rings. black smoke with be a stuck needle/seat. Do you think it was cooked ?

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I asked my son what colour the smoke was and he told me black so, no problem there. I am going to check the fuel tank breather to see if it is blocked as that would force petrol through the carb under pressure on a hot day. I will also check the water pump and thermostat to ensure they are okay - the radiator core has been replaced recently and I will reconnect the bloody fan..... I think that the carb is most likely to be the problem so, I will clean it, put in a new needle and seat and reset the float level.

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    I asked my son what colour the smoke was and he told me black so, no problem there. I am going to check the fuel tank breather to see if it is blocked as that would force petrol through the carb under pressure on a hot day. I will also check the water pump and thermostat to ensure they are okay - the radiator core has been replaced recently and I will reconnect the bloody fan..... I think that the carb is most likely to be the problem so, I will clean it, put in a new needle and seat and reset the float level.
    needle and seat. you can't force fuel through as the needle and seat should stop it.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Got a carb rebuild set on the way....

THe choke is pushed in ?? ......................................
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Yep, and I checked it at the carb end. The problem started after I did a faster than safe U-turn (you want to try that with manual steering!!) - might have unseated the float....

it probably just needs the fuel filters replaced. The factory filter is at the back, underneath, infront of the fuel tank. It'll be breaking up internally and sending crap forward as it will never have been replaced (as no-one knows the are there).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I will check it out. The car is 40 years old so the carb bowl is probably filled with crap

Fellow Frogger!

Have you checked that the air cleaner didn't get saturated with oil through the breather when you did that U- turn ?
    Just a thought !

Richard

fellow CX driver here except mine is a Diesel, and blows black smoke on purpose......good luck in your endeavors

Any progress?

Hi, Warren.
    To go back to the start of all the drama which was the fan(s) not working. You should have two. I'm still not sure how experienced a CX person you are, but all of us who have owned them have had to come to grips with the fan relays. They and some mates live under the left hand headlight. There are 3 fan relays and I have forgotten their precise relationship, but faulty ones account for most misbehaving fans. Fortunately an easy fix once you have a known good one. Next stop would be the temperature sensors which trigger the fans. The low speed one is in the bottom tank and the high speed one mounted behind the radiator at the top. These are generally reliable but a faulty connection or broken wire would stop them dead. Good luck.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

Fellow Frogger

Some early cars, maybe up to 1977 ?? had one fan only apparently. I can only recall seeing one like that, but the twin fans are apparently a later and no doubt better system. Certainly, in AC cars, it's interlinked. This car is early, manual steering and I think no A/C. Maybe, the fan failed to work because the air temp sensor has failed. It's a small capsule on a small bracket behind the radiator.

It is only Grande Exportation cars that had the 2 fans with the 3 relays so Warrens car will be different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

If it has a carbon cannister for the fuel vapour containment, the foam holding them in will have by now degraded and there will be lots of little carbon granules making their way into various nooks and cannies of the carby and causing all sorts of mischief to jets and fuel and air passages. Be on the lookout for this issue.

Cheers, Ken
    addo, Jinandfonic and JohnW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I"ve never seen a CX blow blue smoke.
    Wish I could say the same long time ago though

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    It has two fans (and air conditioning) and I have been studying the wiring diagrams. I will clean the carby today so I can start it, raise it up and drain the cooling system. I will start by checking the fuses thermal switches - it has 2 on the radiator but, only one is on any of the wiring diagrams. I will also check the fan motor and all of the connectors (all the connectors under the bonnet need cleaning). I will check the relays last.... Process of elimination. While the coolant is out, I will also check the thermostat. The car had the radiator re-cored a few years ago.

Jeez the wiring is a bitch in these cars....

cheers

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

PS - no carbon canister but, shane mentioned an inline filter in front of the fuel tank so, I will change it as well. The filter just before the carb has been changed recently

WRB,this will be of no notice to you but KEN W is on the money about the carbon canister breakdown blocking the carby.
    took me a while to figure out why i was getting blocked jets on one of my old cx's,it was the cause of it.

Thread Information