• 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By daffyduck

Thread: D special front suspension

Fellow Frogger!

Default D special front suspension

Dear all

I would really appreciate your advice.

Advertisement

In removing, cleaning and rebuilding the front height corrector (HC) I also removed the return line assembly - the metal piping section that returns LHM from the rear side exhaust port. This is part 12 on p3-394/6 of catalogue 648 D parts.

The section of the pipe assembly that runs from the HC to a junction is completely blocked. I cannot get compressed air through it, even after soaking in chemtech one night and petrol another night.

i can see the embedded wire in the section, and a careful probe with a paper clip meets resistance after only a cm or two. The pipe is brazed onto the junction, so it is not a simple matter of having access at both ends of a section of pipe.

With the benefit of hindsight, debris - including possibly from a blown sphere membrane a couple of years ago - has built up to the point of now blocking the pipe completely.

Does anyone have suggestions on clearing the pipe? One suggestion has been to soak further in acetone. Man other has been to heat the section. Should I simply have the assembly rebuilt?

regards

Alistair

D special front suspension-image.jpgD special front suspension-image.jpgD special front suspension-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D special front suspension-image.jpg  

Try a wire wound guitar string of about 0.060" in a drill chuck, like a tiny electric eel.
    Don B. Cilly likes this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Dear all

I would really appreciate your advice.

In removing, cleaning and rebuilding the front height corrector (HC) I also removed the return line assembly - the metal piping section that returns LHM from the rear side exhaust port. This is part 12 on p3-394/6 of catalogue 648 D parts.

The section of the pipe assembly that runs from the HC to a junction is completely blocked. I cannot get compressed air through it, even after soaking in chemtech one night and petrol another night.

i can see the embedded wire in the section, and a careful probe with a paper clip meets resistance after only a cm or two. The pipe is brazed onto the junction, so it is not a simple matter of having access at both ends of a section of pipe.

With the benefit of hindsight, debris - including possibly from a blown sphere membrane a couple of years ago - has built up to the point of now blocking the pipe completely.

Does anyone have suggestions on clearing the pipe? One suggestion has been to soak further in acetone. Man other has been to heat the section. Should I simply have the assembly rebuilt?

regards

Alistair

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	80557Click image for larger version. 

Views:	169 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	80558Click image for larger version. 

Views:	174 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	80560
    Steve (Citroenfan) will know better than I do, but it seems to me that there was supposedly one of the exhaust lines from the HC that has a calibrated, specifically sized wire inserted to slow the fluid release from the system. I think that's what you've run into. Don't go poking or prodding, you don't want to bend that.

Unfortunately, all that hydraulic pressure + compressed air likely jammed whatever piece of crud well into the line. I honestly don't know what to do to get it out.
    Last edited by Hotrodelectric; 10th February 2016 at 10:52 AM.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Steve (Citroenfan) will know better than I do, but it seems to me that there was supposedly one of the exhaust lines from the HC that has a calibrated, specifically sized wire inserted to slow the fluid release from the system. I think that's what you've run into. Don't go poking or prodding, you don't want to bend that.

Unfortunately, all that hydraulic pressure + compressed air likely jammed whatever piece of crud well into the line. I honestly don't know what to do to get it out.
    I made sure that the compressed air was from the junction end I.e. trying to blow the debris back rather than up the line...

But yes, you are right, I suspect the crud is well and truly jammed.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    I made sure that the compressed air was from the junction end I.e. trying to blow the debris back rather than up the line...

But yes, you are right, I suspect the crud is well and truly jammed.
    Yah, sorry about that. If Steve replies, he might have a usable suggestion on clearing the line. You can try PMing him- can't hurt.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

gentle heat....... up to smokin' but not near red.

the crud will be almost certainly seal elastomer.... it will burn to a powder... which can be blown out with air.

The critical temp for the steel pipe and internal wire is about 750 C (just starting to show red) so if you stay below that you will not affect it adversely
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

the crud will be almost certainly seal elastomer.... it will burn to a powder... which can be blown out with air.

The critical temp for the steel pipe and internal wire is about 750 C (just starting to show red) so if you stay below that you will not affect it adversely
    Bob's suggestion is about the only way to clean out that bloody line Have never tired it but submersing the lower end of the line in boiling water for a while and then blowing with compressed air may also due the trick. The heat from the boiling water may well soften the rubber crud sufficiently to allow the compressed air to dislodge it. Interestingly an SM owner on the Yahoo list seems to be suffering from the same problem.

Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

i have a small gas bottle with a torch if you want to borrow it, should do the job

Fellow Frogger!

Many thanks to all. Will set about it shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Bob's suggestion is about the only way to clean out that bloody line Have never tired it but submersing the lower end of the line in boiling water for a while and then blowing with compressed air may also due the trick. The heat from the boiling water may well soften the rubber crud sufficiently to allow the compressed air to dislodge it. Interestingly an SM owner on the Yahoo list seems to be suffering from the same problem.

Steve
    Thanks, Steve. I'm hoping to see you for the Nethercutt.

UFO

Thanks, Steve. I'm hoping to see you for the Nethercutt.
    Home of an excellent Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Home of an excellent Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ.
    You've seen it? Wonderful! I hope you were able to hear it in action. Did you perchance get called over to do some work on it?

Fellow Frogger!

Back on topic, success! Persistence paid off, viz:

Soaked in chemtech degreaser and tried to blow out with compressed air. No success. Soaked in petrol and tried to blow out with compressed air. No success. Heated pipe, witnessed smoke etc, and tried to blow out with compressed air. No success.

REALLY heated pipe and tried compressed air. Puff of grey dust and line cleared!

Reinstalled pipe assembly. Also drained LHM and cleaned tanks and filter. Spheres re-gassed. The car rises and falls on demand like it never has in my ownership. And an initial drive tonight was sublime.

Delighted, and all due to the advice and assistance of colleagues on this forum. Many thanks to all...

AM
    Last edited by ajaxvte; 13th February 2016 at 12:16 AM.
    GreenBlood, mnm and Hotrodelectric like this.

Excellent result..... well done.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

UFO

You've seen it? Wonderful! I hope you were able to hear it in action. Did you perchance get called over to do some work on it?
    No, I've never been to Nethercutt, but hope to next time an ATOS convention is on the west coast. There is an album being recorded on it at present by our good friend, Nathan Avakian. Should be a cracker. We are now officially off topic!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon11

No, I've never been to Nethercutt, but hope to next time an ATOS convention is on the west coast. There is an album being recorded on it at present by our good friend, Nathan Avakian. Should be a cracker. We are now officially off topic!
    Not if you play a D Flat Major on the Wurlitzer - brings things right back on topic

Nice going Alistair. . . and the team

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

D flat is always minor as you don't need a jack.
    UFO likes this.

I hope you get to go. You will be amazed. Unique cars, furniture, musical devices, bric-a-brac, sculptures.....

I'm kinda thinking by now, Ajaxvte won't mind. He got his result, so off-topic away!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    D flat is always minor as you don't need a jack.
    Wally,

That was just plain bad...............

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Wally,

That was just plain bad...............

Steve
    So just how do you get D-flat out of a tuba-less tire?

Fellow Frogger!

So just how do you get D-flat out of a tuba-less tire?
    Soooo - are we now vying on who can come up with the worse pun ????? Know this is completely off topic, but come on Bill.....

Also off topic. Took my son to the LA International Airport yesterday morn (early). First time I had been on the LA freeways in a non hydraulic Cit in ages. Good grief how the roads have deteriorated..............

S

Thread Information