• 2 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By Armidillo
  • 4 Post By Buttercup
  • 1 Post By mberry
  • 1 Post By Buttercup
  • 1 Post By Buttercup

Thread: Hydraulic flush fluid

Default Hydraulic flush fluid

I need to flush the hydraulics, has anyone found a carrier of such a fluid? Or is there a recipe for mixing ones own flush. I have heard of some using a mix of diesel and LHM?

Advertisement

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    I need to flush the hydraulics, has anyone found a carrier of such a fluid? Or is there a recipe for mixing ones own flush. I have heard of some using a mix of diesel and LHM?
    Hi Michael,

I've not seen Hydraurincage stocked anywhere here in Aus - Darrin carries Total Hydraurincage but there may be problems with frieght?
    Hydraurincage flushing fluid for LHM hydraulic systems

I have heard of the LHM/Diesel mix but have no idea of the ratio.

I would be more inclined to drain the system, including brake lines, clean the tank filter and re-fill with fresh LHM. Hydraurincage has detergent properties that worry me, when we are warned about cleanliness when dealing with hydraulic components, freeing up even minuscule particles goes against the grain. . .

I know it is a recommendation by Citroen, but as a routine maintenance, perhaps not so good for a car that has been sitting for many years. Interested in others thoughts on this

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I think flushes are a waste of time really. All they do is move everything to the lowest point ............. Which means you will be pulling the height correcter out to clean them in the very near future

I've used plain old ATF in the past when I was stuck somewhere ..... It's full of detergents so flushed a lot of crap around the system. Which means it took several flushes to get it clean afterwards...... as well as me pulling the height correcters as well obviously.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

You will never wash out the debris in the back end of items like the safety valve and the height correctors without dismantling them, so always keep that in mind.

Reading about hydraulic flush, the process is quite exhaustive. No doubt an attempt to remedy the situation you highlight, David. I will do some more research, I like the idea of running a solvent like Diesel, even in a very small quantity and then draining the fluid and filling up with LHM run for a while and drain and clean and do a final LHM fill, at least there is no detergent. Not about to rush into it tonight.

I have a 5l container of Hydraucinage. I am never inclined to use it though. I am going to install a reconditioned Steering Control Unit on the CX soon. While the system is apart, both height correctors will be pulled apart and cleaned, LHM replaced, filter cleaned etc. Then new fluid bled out to all callipers. That should give me a system that is a lot cleaner than at present and it will work like one that is clean. If there is some dirt in the priority valve etc it has probably been there for a while and will probably stay put.

My argument against any detergent in the LHM system is you will never get it all out. If you are having issues, work out which components need cleaning and pull apart and do it. When I first got the CX, after it was parked in the garage, you locked and as you you walked away a lovely hiss was heard and the car would lower to the correct height. One of those highlights of owning a Citroen but it doesn't happen now, takes a lot longer to correct after you get out. Hence cleaning the height correctors.
    GreenBlood and mberry like this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

A warning about diesel fuel as a cleaning agent - I have heard that it can be very tough on seals, and has been blamed for the development of new leaks. If you are determined to try it - even mixed with LHM or ATF - I would not leave it in for very long!

Others with more knowledge of the risk involved might like to advise on what constitutes "not very long"

Cheers

Alec
    mberry likes this.

That was my experience exactly, post diesel addition several hoses failed quite specially.

Fellow Frogger!

A recommendation I had was to drain a liter of LHM, replace with an equivalent of diesel, and then drive the car for 100km or so, before repeating the process (replacing with LHM and cleaning the filter each time) three or four times over the next 100km. The detergents in the diesel are apparently enough to flush the system. Haven't tried it yet...

the crud is still going to jam up the height correctors! take em out and clean them! any stuck pipes tighten slightly first to crack the jam.

I remember on the 2004 Raid..... when LHM cars were allowed... a couple of CX a couple of Dees and several GS, two or three of the owners were persuaded (by a certain Cit service mechanic, who was with us) to flush the system, I think with Diesel, while on Raid.
    I advised against it, suggesting that we were not in a suitable situation to deal with random breakdowns, and that it just mobilises contaminants..... to somewhere else.

Suddenly we had a couple of very lame cars with all sorts of height, steering and leakage issues.
    I don't think there is anything in diesel that will attack seals, its just that the lower viscosity finds the clearances in spool valves, and gives greatly increased internal leakage into boots and really tests the return system with excess flow.

You still need to clean the tank, height correctors, brake bleeds and any dead end parts of the system.

My work in industrial hydraulics shows that if you start with a clean system and avoid adding crap, you continue to have a clean system. Industrial hydraulic systems filter the oil as it is returned to the tank, the idea is that the tank remains clean.
    In our cars we don't do this, and the tank becomes the depository for the system crud.

So, I advocate simply draining the system, thoroughly cleaning the tank (probably remove it to do it properly), refilling with LHM, and bleeding the brakes. If everything else is working, leave it well alone.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

That's pretty clear, diesel is a no go, thanks all.
    ajaxvte likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Don't forget there are different types of 'diesel'. Biodiesel may have a different effect on some materials versus dino-diesel.

Wasn't there a discussion about Canola somewhere.... didn't someone run a DS19 on it for a while.... about 50,000km if I remember correctly....
    Boyracer likes this.
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

My work in industrial hydraulics shows that if you start with a clean system and avoid adding crap, you continue to have a clean system. Industrial hydraulic systems filter the oil as it is returned to the tank, the idea is that the tank remains clean.
    In our cars we don't do this, and the tank becomes the depository for the system crud.

So Bob, do you know of anyone who has modified a Citroen so that the fluid is filtered before being returned to the tank? Or would the gains (in system cleanliness) not really be worth the trouble?

Cheers

Alec

No I don't.........
    The nearest, I guess, is fitting a bladder (a tube to an inner tube stowed in a front wing) to the top of the tank and sealing the vented tank cap. This prevents moisture (and possibly dust) ingress with each volume change.
    This was done by a few early red fluid DS owners specially in humid tropical climates, after reports of mayonnaise in the system.

As for filtering return flow... difficult because it comes back from so many parts of the system.
    You could arrange it by combining all the returns before a suitably selected filter, and then to tank.
    You would need to provide a low pressure bypass for the filter so it couldn't develop back pressure if it got (partially) blocked.
    Armidillo likes this.
    Bob

JBN

The filters are IN the tank. The returning LHM is filtered before being pumped back around the system.

I have recently used half diesel and half ATF (both good sources of detergent) for a few weeks (say 2000 kms) in my Xantia. It didn't make much difference. When I can be bothered, I will clean the spare rear height corrector and swap it with the existing one. I might buy a spare front one, clean it and then swap it around.

Basically the car is too busy at the moment. It is my wife's. I get to use it on long trips on hot days as it has aircon. It doesn't get to see the mechanic who lives on the other side of Sydney. First things first. Have to glue the rear high level brake light. Although the Xantia has better quality plastic than the BX, its not good plastic for Australia. Being parked out all day in the sun (with the temperature gauge showing 50 degrees) has resulted in the plastic cracking and breaking off. I have to get it passed for rego this next week so that's my first priority.

Next thing is to worry about the ride. It's crap at the moment. The hydractive spheres are not working (can't hear the buzz of the solenoids). The arse drops on a big bump. Anyhow its my wife's car. She dawdles around in it. I doubt she can tell the difference between a hydraulic Citroen and a billycart. At least the aircon works. One day it will be replaced by a Toyota where everything works.

John

I know that Pleiades in the UK produce their own version of Hydraflush, I don't know whether Pleiades in Australia also do it? Worth asking.
    Regards,

George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    The filters are IN the tank. The returning LHM is filtered before being pumped back around the system.

John
    John, that's not a filter.... it catches big stuff like gravel and leaves

Filters catch little stuff like sand and stray flies.

That's OK if the suction strainer gets cleaned.... say 25,000km (annual). And the tank gets a clean say 100,000km (5 years).
    Bob

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    So Bob, do you know of anyone who has modified a Citroen so that the fluid is filtered before being returned to the tank? Or would the gains (in system cleanliness) not really be worth the trouble?

Cheers

Alec
    This young fellow thinks it's a great idea. . .

No idea where it runs from/to but to me it's overkill, keep the system maintained and any add ons are surplus. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic flush fluid-dfig133.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information