xantia series 1 regulator return hoses
  • Register
  • Help

Default xantia series 1 regulator return hoses

The xantia has split another return hose this time off the regulator on the bend where it is initially clamped on in a 90 degree bend. This car having smac also has the return from that joining further up on a three way union. Before I do the surgery was wondering if anyone knew the inside dimensions of the regulator return hose?
    I guess I'll have to chop into the three way and try and keep it as putting a new fitting into the hose further up will equal disaster. Also the join on the regulator has a conical sleeve around it, no sure if this is for protection or actually part of the joiner design. Any info appreciated!
    Damn I wish Citroen still had these looms available, they really are the achilles heel of the model.
    Cheers
    steven

Advertisement

Can't do the usual "skinning" trick?

Thats my only option at present Adam. But just wondering about the hose dimensions before I don the gloves! Scalpel.

I am aware there is quite a pulse of high pressure LHM going into the return pipe every time the regulator clicks off feed to the accumulator. I think the conical section of the tube is designed to absorb this pulse and extend the life of the tube.

I think the hose assemblies are still available for the LHD Xantias. Perhaps one could work out whether it is feasible to fit a LHD system to an RHD car. Mackay EFV hose seems to work well as substitute LHM return hose.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken, I have some spare high pressure hose off the D for pump, hoping this fits! Have to psych myself up for the operation...
    the lhd rhd thing is complicated by the steering hose, those are a berstad to fit back on too. Plus it has the ABS and smac so even harder to find. Ideally I would pull the whole lot out and start over with some enzed friendly shopping but don't have time at moment and need the car for work. Borrowing she who must be occasionally listened to auto! : )

Fellow Frogger!

Reinforced oil resistant pipe is readily available from hydraulic hose suppliers as above, I think it is higher quality fuel hose. Far better quality than the original hoses. They should also have brass tees & elbows for branches, also they have joiners to change pipe diameters. Make sure you put good hose clamps over each end. It is impossible to follow the route of the original pipes, obviously put in before the engine, the oil returns under low pressure so it will flow "up hill" where necessary, as long as the pipes can't chafe or get caught anywhere you should be fine. Cable ties are really useful to tidy things up when you have finished. I agree that these are really fine cars made to fail early by poor hoses. I suggest you buy a few metres of each size they have & you will then be able to tackle each failing one as you go.

Having said that the easiest way to renew all the pipes is to take out the engine so you have room, bit drastic I admit. However I intend to do exactly that when I convert 2 Xantias to electric in the near future. I will write a thread on it when I get to start it.

Regards

agd123

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    The xantia has split another return hose this time off the regulator on the bend where it is initially clamped on in a 90 degree bend. This car having smac also has the return from that joining further up on a three way union. Before I do the surgery was wondering if anyone knew the inside dimensions of the regulator return hose?
    I guess I'll have to chop into the three way and try and keep it as putting a new fitting into the hose further up will equal disaster. Also the join on the regulator has a conical sleeve around it, no sure if this is for protection or actually part of the joiner design. Any info appreciated!
    Damn I wish Citroen still had these looms available, they really are the achilles heel of the model.
    Cheers
    steven
    There's a thread somewhere with these photos. I have new ones (one each, my spares I'm sorry to say) and we photographed them and measured the big one carefully, for which thank Jaahn.

The other one is hiding away and I can measure it for you but I think it is this horror that you are talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xantia series 1 regulator return hoses-xantia-5270-n4-sml-2.jpg   xantia series 1 regulator return hoses-xantia-octopus-main-txt.jpg   xantia series 1 regulator return hoses-p9072070.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

Thanks, John. I asked you to take those photos as I remade that harness. Biggest problem I had was sourcing metric fuel hose, as Repco is fixated with imperial.

One thing that I did do was simplify the HP pump to LHM container hose to go directly across, rather than the tortuous route down past the accumulator/pressure regulator and up underneath the battery. Since I only had a metric hose of about that length, it made sense.

John

Thread Information