C5 2003 won't start, one click. Won't jump.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: C5 2003 won't start, one click. Won't jump.

Tadpole

Default C5 2003 won't start, one click. Won't jump.

Hi team.

I need some help.

My 2003 citroen c5 auto v6 is not starting, and won't jump with a 1200 charger pack. There is an audible "Click" but no start. Is in economy mode (which obviously isn't the problem stopping the start). I have replaced the Cranksharft Sensor myself but still no luck.

These are the events leading up to the issue.

so Christmas Eve I was driving down to meet family for the holidays, when I came across two cars doing 50km/h in a 110 zone. I was one car behind another driver. When he went to over take in his 2013 Mitzabishi Triton, they accelerated together and forced him up. He is a turbo so he wasnt phased. But I was. Expecting the same treatment, I waited for a clear section of road and went to accelerate to overtake. Again the pair of them accelerated forcing me up. Next thing I knew I was on the wrong side of the road, with no where to slot back in. So I put my foot down to get around before I was killed in a head on. I had to get over 130km/h to get past. Seconds before an oncoming car (who felt prudent to flash me).

After that, my C5 didn't quite feel right. All of a sudden I wasn't able to get proper acceleration or over 5'000 rpm. It was in limp mode.

as I was 400km from home, I kept driving best I could Untill we found somewhere to pull over. The engin bay steamed . But after letting it cool, it wouldn't start. Just a loud click. Only one click, not a series of clicks. The battery is now dead after trying to start on the side of the road at 1am Christmas Day sooo many times. So we left her and got a lift the last 300k to family. Came back three days later (it's Christmas naturally) and towed her to the house. Still not starting.

Help. I have had a horrible Christmas and New Years and am ready to get this sorted.

Advertisement

I'll leave the high horses to others.

Worst case you may have stressed the engine and done a head gasket. Compression testing would reveal this. I suggest this possibility as you cannot physically turn over the motor even with a jump. Was it losing coolant before this infamous day?

I think Addo is on the right money. But your description of the cause and being flashed by another driver sounds a bit scary. Whenever I overtake, and I have told this to both kids I taught to drive, FLOOR IT. To hell with the speed limit, you want to spend the least time you have to on the wrong side of the road. With a C5 V6 you would have dealt with these idiots much quicker and safer in these conditions.
    robmac and JohnW like this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    Sorry about the bad Christmas, however diagnosing the problem by internet is not easy. I would suggest calling your NRMA or whatever, or a local mechanic to have a look and see what the most likely problem is. It may be a starter problem or the engine is tight or perhaps something else. Some basic looking and testing on the car will give some pointers. When you get some opinions then get back to us and see what happens then.
    Jaahn
    GreenBlood likes this.

Administrator

As above. It's possibly siezed. It may have run a bearing and then overheated as a result and siezed. Get a socket on the crank pulley and see if you can turn the engine

If you pull all the spark plugs first, it should spin quite easily.

If it doesn't spin, then you probably have a nice alloy boat anchor...or a coffee table...

It all sounds pretty odd to me. I'd start as suggested by seeing how easily the crank can turn. I'd also try a different battery from a different car, see if that can turn it. It could be just co-incidental that your battery has failed. Make sure your accessory belt hasn't come off. Could be your cam belt slipped a tooth or broke... but less likely. Good luck.
    I've seen V6 C5 engines selling complete, online for about $800.00.
    Cheers..

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    It all sounds pretty odd to me. I'd start as suggested by seeing how easily the crank can turn. I'd also try a different battery from a different car, see if that can turn it. It could be just co-incidental that your battery has failed. Make sure your accessory belt hasn't come off. Could be your cam belt slipped a tooth or broke... but less likely. Good luck.
    I've seen V6 C5 engines selling complete, online for about $800.00.
    Cheers..

Thanks for for your reply. I will let the family know to try these. As it's now 800km away I have to try everything via correspondence . It's awfully frustrating but appreciate your reply greatly.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I'll leave the high horses to others.

Worst case you may have stressed the engine and done a head gasket. Compression testing would reveal this. I suggest this possibility as you cannot physically turn over the motor even with a jump. Was it losing coolant before this infamous day?
    High horses? Think they may move faster than my stalled car. Soo I think I'll take them. Lol

Tadpole

No coolant leaking prior . Have called and asked, and none leaking now. In fact nothing is leaking. Except a little oil like it has done (like all cars)

In that case I suggest removal of the spark plugs and try cranking it again.

Hey Elise Eternity,
    if your car has blown a headgasket or broken a cambelt, a workmate and I have a complete C5 V6 with a perfect engine, about 150.000 ks and running perfectly. The owner wants about $600.00. It could be trucked to anywhere in Australia for about $500.00. Engine swap over, job done.
    Send me a pm if you want more details.
    Cheers..

Thread Information