DS water pump housing variation
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS water pump housing variation

DS water pump housing variation-image.jpg
    Hi all
    Hope I can learn the difference in the water pump housings shown here. I'm holding one next to another mounted on an engine. The lower one has an extra lobe to the left of the outlet pipe, it seems to be a mounting hole?
    What is it for?
    Also the lower one has the thermostat mounted in the cast body, whereas the other has the thermostat in the top hose.
    Can some one advise about this change of design, when it changed and any pros and cons?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

The housings with the thermostat inside and secured by a circlip are for the DS engines, whereas the ID and Specials had a thermostat inside the top hose. I think you will find the diameter of the hose connection is slightly different as the hoses are not the same. The lobe is for the clutch engagement regulator unit on a Hydraulique gearshift (BVH) car. You will often see this part on manuals and autos although the lobe is present and does nothing.

Thanks for the prompt and clear reply.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

In the photo you have a late DS BVH water pump housing and an early ID/DS BVM water pump housing.

The two water pump housings have two unrelated differences. The extra mounting boss is for BVH cars. That is where the centrifugal regulator mounts. The "wide neck" housings with the thermostat held by a clip are fitted to later cars (and require a different upper radiator hose). I believe at some point the spare parts department supplied only the BVH water pump housing regardless of the vehicle it was being fitted to, so you will see quite a few BVM (or even autobox) cars with the vestigial centrifugal regulator mounting boss.

Cheers,
    John T.

Thread Information