2007 C5 2L diesel, Strange Noises after being rear ended
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Balki

Thread: 2007 C5 2L diesel, Strange Noises after being rear ended

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2007 C5 2L diesel, Strange Noises after being rear ended

We got rear ended on the Centenary Hwy about a week ago. Since the accident, we have been getting a really strange set of noises coming from the engine. It is there from idle, gets worse when the engine is under load but the noise does not vary with increased RPM. Initially it feels like a vibration but then it sound/feels like rapid gunfire and vibration. It is almost as though it gets louder as there is more torque being generated. Repairer hasn't had a chance to put it up on the hoist yet. Any ideas what it might be and rough cost to repair.

I am hoping its as simple as an engine mount or two. But have been told it could be header or turbo related. All possible to be damaged if the exhaust system was pushed from the rear.

We were also told yesterday all the parts for the rear repair are coming from France and will not be here until end of Feb/early March. We can't be without a 2nd car for that long, so hoping to agree a financial settlement with the insurer this week, get another and then dispose of the damaged one.

Anyone looking for parts from a 2007 RHR engined 2L diesel 6 speed auto hatch with 200,000kms, let me know what you need. Would be happy to sell it whole or as parts.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Check the exhaust pipe,could be pushed up into the turbo/exhaust manifold ,pugs

sounds like a kink in the exhaust pipe somewhere
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Turned out to be two broken engine mounts. Who would have guessed?
    Insurance company have deemed the car an economic write-off after there were over $7,000 in repairs quoted.
    I understand the car is currently on its way to Pickles to be auctioned.

Quote Originally Posted by dcc236 View Post
    Turned out to be two broken engine mounts. Who would have guessed?
    Insurance company have deemed the car an economic write-off after there were over $7,000 in repairs quoted.
    I understand the car is currently on its way to Pickles to be auctioned.
    Exhaust pipe stronger than engine mounts eh? Who would have guessed, indeed!

I wonder whether more folk ought to consider third party property damage insurance for cars where the value is dropping below basic accident repair costs. You carry a bit of risk but can make the call about repairs, i.e. fix some things but not others. That ought to be a different thread perhaps.

I'd have put money on the exhaust being kinked/blocked by the accident, but of course hadn't heard or felt the noise!

Hope you are OK with the outcome. Plenty of cheap secondhand Citroens around I guess.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

So the love affair with French cars continues.
    I bought a 2008 Pug 407 with the same 2L diesel engine and 6 speed auto that was in the written-off C5.
    Got to say I prefer the traditional "more sporty" suspension setup of the 407, (have only driven 70 kms since buying it late yesterday).
    Beaut car in excellent condition, full pug service history from Toowoomba with just over 100,000kms and only $6,500 including transfer costs and rego to 11/2016.
    The only things it doesn't have that the C5 did is a sunroof (first car I've ever owned without a sunroof) and front parking sensors.

Thread Information