C5 Comfort 2011 Water pump
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 Comfort 2011 Water pump

A friend who has an identical 2011 C5 HDi to mine has just told me that the Citroen agents in Perth (Allpike) have told him his car is due for a timing belt replacement (probably correct - not sure how far he has gone, probably about 70k) and that they recommend that the water pump be replaced at the same time. Does anyone know whether there is a water pump problem with 5 year old C5s and whether a replacement is a wise
    precaution and how much it costs? Can't see anything about it in these pages.

Advertisement

It's considered good practice to renew a water pump at the time of a cam belt change with many series of PSA engines including the family you describe.

Note that timing belt failure on these diesel motors results in relatively little cost and work to rectify, so don't believe horror stories up in the thousands about a broken belt.

1000+ Posts

If that's the 16 valve 2.0 litre DW10C engine (RHH in the VIN) it would be prudent. But if your friend isn't a Rinehart or Packer I'd recommend pricing both the job and the parts from an independent workshop. Places like EAI or Dapco will have the bits.

Thanks for both replies. Yes it is the 16v 2.0 Li DWC10 engine. Will check out my options. My C5 has just reached 60,000 so I was not thinking of having the cam belt done for another 10,000 anyway. While Citroen consider Australia "a harsh climate" and have a different service pattern to Europe, I doubt that Margaret River in WA could be described as "harsh" . Probably one of the most benign climates anywhere!

It might be more to do with the age of the belt than the mileage at that mileage.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

1000+ Posts

About the time the importer changed some DW10C engines were issued with the Ateco book - do belt at at 4 yrs/100,000 km, while a month or two later Sime Darby's book said do it at 9 yrs/180,000 km. I suspect it reflects different approaches to "arduous conditions".

This car is only 5 years old. Has it done the 180,000 km? I doubt it. The belts are quite wide apparently and have a reputation of lasting well. I have a 2008 model with 126,000 km on the odo and am leaving it to next year to replace the belt. By that stage I will replace water pump and tensioners and maybe crank pulley as well.

Cheers, Ken W

Thread Information