Beautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By caparobertsan
  • 1 Post By 63-1092
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 2 Post By Andrew Watkins
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: Beautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!

Default Beautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!

Beautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160131_075644.jpgBeautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160131_075815_hdr.jpgBeautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160131_075844_hdr.jpgBeautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160131_075920_hdr.jpgBeautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160131_075932_hdr.jpgI saw nice Silver CX GTI parked on the road on Sunday. Looked so nice. I wonder if it is belong to anyone here?!Beautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160131_075741_hdr.jpgBeautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160131_075906_hdr.jpgBeautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160131_080004_hdr.jpg

Advertisement
    Last edited by caparobertsan; 2nd February 2016 at 02:39 PM.
    GreenBlood and CXVingtCinq like this.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Thanks for that.

Not bad for a 40 year-old shape is it? I must take ours out and see if someone photographs it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Dammit thats my dream Citroen! right colour wheels badges interior. Wish I owned it.

JBN

I had a nice Gris Perle CX25IE with TRX rims and tyres in the UK. Just like that one except for the rear window louvre.

I had a rear window louvre on my CX2400 in Australia for a short while (1 week) but it drove me silly, so I gave it away. An undocumented feature of the louvre is that at night, the cars lights of the car behind you go off and on, off and on, as the louvre interferes with the passage of light. Far too distracting for me. Good for keeping out some of the sun and heat, but a garage, carport or underground parking do that job far better.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I had a nice Gris Perle CX25IE with TRX rims and tyres in the UK. Just like that one except for the rear window louvre.

I had a rear window louvre on my CX2400 in Australia for a short while (1 week) but it drove me silly, so I gave it away. An undocumented feature of the louvre is that at night, the cars lights of the car behind you go off and on, off and on, as the louvre interferes with the passage of light. Far too distracting for me. Good for keeping out some of the sun and heat, but a garage, carport or underground parking do that job far better.

John
    What a lucky owner...even got a parking space. Maybe Maxwell Smart has dumped the Sunbeam and bought a CX.

Wonder which shoe black he uses on the rear spoiler. Such things died in the Queensland sun and went a "lighter shade of pale".

Mmmmm so I guess, this is belong to non Citron club member hidden enthusiast!
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Certainly it must be a loved car ... You can tell easily as it appears to still wear TRX wheels. The 14" wheels look the same but you can get tires for $100 each rather than the ~$800 each of TRX tires

If someone cares enough to spend that much on rubber, I imagine the rest of the car would be amazing

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Certainly it must be a loved car ... You can tell easily as it appears to still wear TRX wheels. The 14" wheels look the same but you can get tires for $100 each rather than the ~$800 each of TRX tires

If someone cares enough to spend that much on rubber, I imagine the rest of the car would be amazing

seeya,
    Shane L.
    800$ for a tire each!? My ID tires sound cheap now!

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

That's parked outside the wife's shop, chocolates anyone, just don't mention aussiefrogs she'll probably charge you more.
    addo likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Those are the same wheels as on mine and yes, I'm not looking forward to getting the next set of tyres. The wheel nuts are also like mine and rusted. Can anyone suggest the best way to clean them up without spending a fortune.? I had thought of putting her up on stands to take all wheels off and have the nuts plated or similar but not sure where to start in rural NW NSW. Will be talking to local engineering bloke next week about it hopefully, but any suggestions welcomed.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    Those are the same wheels as on mine and yes, I'm not looking forward to getting the next set of tyres. The wheel nuts are also like mine and rusted. Can anyone suggest the best way to clean them up without spending a fortune.? I had thought of putting her up on stands to take all wheels off and have the nuts plated or similar but not sure where to start in rural NW NSW. Will be talking to local engineering bloke next week about it hopefully, but any suggestions welcomed.
    Try the old trick of soaking the nuts in Coca Cola. Just enough acidity and phosphorus that it does work if the rust isn't heavy. You can also try some steel wool (that's what grandma used to knit herself a new oven once).
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Hah.! Thanks Hotrod. I can't knit so the steel wool may be out, but I'll try the Coke idea. I once cleaned up an old brass bed with Coke. Amazing how it ate away the gunk and corrosion. Didn't drink Coke again for years. Thanks.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

If the Coke does not work, I got mine electro plated a matt silver that matched what was on the car originally and they look as good as they did 15 years ago.

Very nice looking car, and if mine had the TRX rims (was an option when new) I probably would still have them. Two reasons,One, I have driven one CX, a 2400 5 speed with TRX tires and I felt like a smooth riding go kart. Two I wish you still had the choice of two tyres for the CX from Michelin. You used to get a choice of XZX/MXV-P or MXV3a. The MXV3a was twice the price and worth every penny. It feels good pampering your CX
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    If the Coke does not work, I got mine electro plated a matt silver that matched what was on the car originally and they look as good as they did 15 years ago.

Very nice looking car, and if mine had the TRX rims (was an option when new) I probably would still have them. Two reasons,One, I have driven one CX, a 2400 5 speed with TRX tires and I felt like a smooth riding go kart. Two I wish you still had the choice of two tyres for the CX from Michelin. You used to get a choice of XZX/MXV-P or MXV3a. The MXV3a was twice the price and worth every penny. It feels good pampering your CX
    Ever driven a fuego on TRX tires though ....................... aquaplaning crap they are. Certainly you wouldn't pay more for just one, than you would pay for an entire set of far better tires in 14"

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

I had TRX tyres on both a CX2400 in Australia and 25IE in sunny UK. Compared to the Michelin XVS which were the standard on CXs at the time, I much preferred the TRX. The tight arsed Poms hated to pay 100 GBP per tyre (in 1992), but I didn't mind. The 25IE cost me all of 1100 GBP to buy, plus 400 GBP to re-shoe. After 3 years with the same TRX tyres, I sold the car for 1100 GBP.

The CX 2400 cost $8,500 to buy in 1984. The C-matic leaked. Put in a kit. It still leaked. Bought a new torque convertor ($1100). It worked. Bought TRX rims, repainted them (masochist's delight stripping off the old paint from all the indentations) and bought new TRX tyres (forgotten the price). Wrote the car off in 1992 while trying to sell for $7500 (got $9500 agreed insurance instead). Left most of the TRX tyres on the roadway when the brakes locked. I reckon the TRX was a good tyre in the wet. It had 4 wide grooves to remove water and reduce the chance of aquaplaning. With the Diravi steering, I had no hesitation in hitting standing water as the car maintained the direction dictated by the steering wheel and the TRX tyres cut through the water without aquaplaning.

Even these days when travelling behind expensive cars, one can often see the tyres that a less subject to aquaplaning by the size of the darker black bands denoting the grooves compared with the lighter bands denoting the tread in contact with the road.

Maybe the problem that you had, Shane, with the Fuego shod with TRX in the wet is that fire (fuego) and water don't mix?

John.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I had TRX tyres on both a CX2400 in Australia and 25IE in sunny UK. Compared to the Michelin XVS which were the standard on CXs at the time, I much preferred the TRX. The tight arsed Poms hated to pay 100 GBP per tyre (in 1992), but I didn't mind. The 25IE cost me all of 1100 GBP to buy, plus 400 GBP to re-shoe. After 3 years with the same TRX tyres, I sold the car for 1100 GBP.

The CX 2400 cost $8,500 to buy in 1984. The C-matic leaked. Put in a kit. It still leaked. Bought a new torque convertor ($1100). It worked. Bought TRX rims, repainted them (masochist's delight stripping off the old paint from all the indentations) and bought new TRX tyres (forgotten the price). Wrote the car off in 1992 while trying to sell for $7500 (got $9500 agreed insurance instead). Left most of the TRX tyres on the roadway when the brakes locked. I reckon the TRX was a good tyre in the wet. It had 4 wide grooves to remove water and reduce the chance of aquaplaning. With the Diravi steering, I had no hesitation in hitting standing water as the car maintained the direction dictated by the steering wheel and the TRX tyres cut through the water without aquaplaning.

Even these days when travelling behind expensive cars, one can often see the tyres that a less subject to aquaplaning by the size of the darker black bands denoting the grooves compared with the lighter bands denoting the tread in contact with the road.

Maybe the problem that you had, Shane, with the Fuego shod with TRX in the wet is that fire (fuego) and water don't mix?

John.
    driven a few fuegos on TRX's .... hidious. I used to note EVERY damaged Fuego I saw was smashed in at the front. I'm convinced it was those appalling tires. First wet day and they just understeer plowed straight off the road at the first sniff of a wet road

seeya,
    Shane l.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    Hah.! Thanks Hotrod. I can't knit so the steel wool may be out, but I'll try the Coke idea. I once cleaned up an old brass bed with Coke. Amazing how it ate away the gunk and corrosion. Didn't drink Coke again for years. Thanks.
    Quite right to leave it for cleaning things. Any drink that relies on phosphoric acid for the tang......
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Default Cx

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Try the old trick of soaking the nuts in Coca Cola. Just enough acidity and phosphorus that it does work if the rust isn't heavy. You can also try some steel wool (that's what grandma used to knit herself a new oven once).

Coca Cola was also amazing at getting squashed bugs off headlights and windscreens( dissolved them ). One just had to be careful not to get it on the paint.

Yet another reason not to drink the stuff, but to keep it for useful purposes

Andrew
    okalford and CXVingtCinq like this.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

This looks like a car that was sold at Hekas' a couple of years ago

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    This looks like a car that was sold at Hekas' a couple of years ago
    I saw it at Heka too, can't be too many around with those huge fog light surrounds. Its a bit heavy looking.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    driven a few fuegos on TRX's .... hidious. I used to note EVERY damaged Fuego I saw was smashed in at the front. I'm convinced it was those appalling tires. First wet day and they just understeer plowed straight off the road at the first sniff of a wet road

seeya,
    Shane l.
    My guess is the tires you were riding on were very old rubber. I have noticed on my rear tires which are older in years, the rubber is no longer soft. I have had the back end slid out around a corner. I was taking the corner fast. There was no understeer just oversteer. This suggest to me that the old rubber has lost its grip. Tire pressure was also a contributing factor.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Another one is spotted at Port Melbourne Yesterday. It was not in good condition, eg interior was ripped etc.. But still drives! Belong to Froggy member? And.. Because I was so excited, when I pulled out phone from pocket, Some cash came out with it. Lator on, I realized that I lost some money...Very expensive snap shot indeed!
    Beautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160204_132206_hdr.jpgBeautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160204_132303_hdr.jpgBeautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160204_132339_hdr.jpgBeautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160204_132406_hdr.jpgBeautiful CX spotted in Camberwell on last Sunday!-img_20160204_132437_hdr.jpg
    Last edited by caparobertsan; 5th February 2016 at 03:10 PM.

JBN

When I saw my first CX in South Africa in 1976, I was instantly smitten by the shape. Looking at the photos in this thread has awakened that love affair. Still a great looking car.

When I look back at photos of some of the women I was smitten by circa 1976 and then look at them now, I don't get that same buzz. Damn glad I didn't buy too many of them. Just one, on the never-never ["Through sickness and in health, til death do us part" - not long to go now].

John
    FedGrapes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IE23 View Post
    My guess is the tires you were riding on were very old rubber. I have noticed on my rear tires which are older in years, the rubber is no longer soft. I have had the back end slid out around a corner. I was taking the corner fast. There was no understeer just oversteer. This suggest to me that the old rubber has lost its grip. Tire pressure was also a contributing factor.
    Road was wet wasn't it ?? They aquaplane at the drop of a hat I reckon

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information