2011 C5 engine warning light - pollution sensor
  • Register
  • Help

Default 2011 C5 engine warning light - pollution sensor

Yesterday the C5 (90,000km), when started, came up with an engine check warning dialogue, followed by the orange engine symbol being displayed on the instrument panel. Looking up the hand book it says it indicates a fault with the anti-pollution system and that help should be sought from a dealer!

Today I went to the local mechanic to check, more specifically, what the error message was. After much hunting we found the socket for the diagnostic box to connect to. The error message related to voltage error at a temperature sensor. The diagnostic program didn't have any Citroens in its options nor did it have anything but 3.4 engines in the Peugeot 407 section.

Advertisement

Has anyone else had a similar message? If so where is the sensor located? The other issue is whether it has more than one sensor handling temperature readings for the anti-pollution side of the engine management.

Co-incidentally, on Thursday last, the protective, plastic tray under the engine fell down and due to cracked plastic mounting points I was unable to re-attach it. It was removed. We had rain over the weekend and again this morning. Could it be a wet plug - if the sensor is in a location where it could get very wet?
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Hi Rmac, is it HDI ? If so I know nothing about diesels. The warning means it's logged a misfire for some reason. A lexia would tell you the faut code, which can be pretty specific. Could nail the cause. You replace that part, then clear the fault code.

The cars anti pollution managment system is pretty complex. It monitors air input temperature, and exhaust output temp, 02 levels at the 02 sensors, manifold pressure and things like engine rpm, as well as camshaft rpm. Everything is monitored and any faults get detected and stored in the ECU. Fault codes are to assist diagnosis of problems etc. There is a lot more than one sensor involved.
    Good luck..
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 1st February 2016 at 07:21 PM.

1000+ Posts

If you know the error code, I'll look it up for you. There must be 50 "temperature" codes listed.

The water temperature sensor is in the water outlet box at the near side end of the head, above the transmission. I doubt it's that.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    this may be of use or not.
    I had the anti-pollution warning light come on permanently in my C4 diesel.
    It was an early indicator of my battery failing. After replacing the battery, it cleared. The car ran without issue whilst the warning light was on.
    I see yours is an 2011 model. Perhaps your still on an original battery?

Hope that helps,
    Glenn

Thanks Glenn - yes! it is still on the original battery. Might get that checked before I go any further chasing parts. The car still seems to be running well with no noticeable change in fuel consumption, pulling etc

2.0 HDi engine
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

There are also temperature sensors in the exhaust system around the particulate filter so it can monitor whether how a DPF burn-off event is going. A better code reader would give you more exact information. Anyone over there with a Lexia or Diagbox could help. The elm bluetooth modules paired to phone apps like Torque are getting pretty good now as well.

Cheers, Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

yes, exactly same symptoms I had with the C4. No noticeable difference to driving, performance or fuel economy. The anti-pollution light was on permanently. After about a month the battery literally died overnight, Luckily I managed to eventually start it and got home and made use of the NRMA battery service.
    There we discovered my battery was also original Varta battery from France. My car is 2008 and my battery problem was in 2013.
    No problems since (well not related to the battery anyway !!!)

Glenn

Went to auto electrician this morning and he was able to check the battery. First test seemed to indicate that the battery was OK. However ... the second test revealed that it wasn't up to it. Replaced the battery (an easy job) and started the car. Warning light still on. Plugged in diagnostics to check fault codes again.
    O2 sensor/exhaust gas Bank 1 Sensor 2 shows as faulty
    Other codes that were there - some continuously, others flashing/cycling
    PO791
    PO792
    PO795
    P2031
    P2032
    P2033
    P2084

As the battery had been removed the clock and date display defaulted to the base year. Before I left town this afternoon I took the time to reset the clock. Once done I headed for home. Went a short distance and noticed that the orange engine symbol had gone!
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

1000+ Posts

P07* are the auto box. Intermediate shaft speed sensor and a solenoid. P203* are the fuel pump. The secondary circuit is, low, high and intermittent! Looks like a confused computer, possibly a result of battery voltage.

P2084 is the voltage measured by the upstream exhaust gas temperature sensor at the particle filter, where you started. Tension du capteur tempťrature amont FAP in the manual.

Fellow Frogger!

So, the anti-pollution light has gone?
    If so, that's good. Looks like this warning light can be used as an indicator of a pending battery failure!!!

Thanks to everyone for their advice. It would seem that if you have a warning light on it may be caused by battery issues. Certainly easy to check and if your battery is of known age or unknown it would seem advisable to do that before going down any other route. The Varta in the C5 was 07/10 dated so we've had a reasonable run.

Remember to reset the clock after replacing the battery as this seems to be a key in resetting the dash warning lights.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their advice. It would seem that if you have a warning light on it may be caused by battery issues. Certainly easy to check and if your battery is of known age or unknown it would seem advisable to do that before going down any other route. The Varta in the C5 was 07/10 dated so we've had a reasonable run.

Remember to reset the clock after replacing the battery as this seems to be a key in resetting the dash warning lights.
    This thread is interesting. Shanadoo and I and a few others have experienced consistent errors similar to what you describe and have tried to identify what the cause is. This battery thing may be it. While I never have had a starting issue I have noticed that if the car is not driven for a long weekend for example, the starter is a bit sluggish.
    Did you have to re-enter the radio authorisation codes as well?

Optimistic SF.

Fellow Frogger!

I assume you have cleared all the fault codes after the installation of the new battery? Is the check engine light now off?

The auto electrician attempted to clear the codes - to no avail. After resetting the clock the warning light disappeared. Well! Until the next day. When we went into town I noticed that it was back on again!! :-(
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Fellow Frogger

Load test the battery first and replace it if there is any query about it. It's possibly at the end of its life now as you are lucky to exceed 3 or 4 years in many cases.

If the battery is not at fault, depending on build date, there were some cars with engine slave / fuse / relay boxes that could develop faults with a couple of relays after some mileage. That can throw up all manner of faults, including gearbox faults that are not really the gearbox at all. The odds are if the engine slave was suspect, it would have shown up before 90K, but it is worth considering and asking your dealer to check if there is any diagnostic note against the VIN involving your symptoms and the engine slave.

UFO

FWIW, my sister and her family were here for a couple of weeks in early January in their diesel Toyota Prado. Bruce (BiL) noticed that the battery was seeming lazy and took action to have it checked - then replaced. He commented that evening that it was like a new car and no longer sluggish and that the occasional mystery dash warning light had disappeared.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

So that seems the moral of the story. Any, ANY running issues with a modern car, first check is the battery
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    So that seems the moral of the story. Any, ANY running issues with a modern car, first check is the battery
    Well it is a relatively simple check for a critical consumable. I recall Edward Rowe and Gerry Freed having a bit of a debate at a CCC meeting one night about future car battery voltage and loading. How true it is turning out to be!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The trouble with modern batteries (or the way people perceive them, perhaps) is that if it starts the car, then it must be ok.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    The trouble with modern batteries (or the way people perceive them, perhaps) is that if it starts the car, then it must be ok.
    Too true. The car started perfectly on the old battery!
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Thread Information