• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ilovetoflyfpv

Thread: Citroen Xantia 1.9 litre Turbo Diesel 1997 Hard Cold Start

Default Citroen Xantia 1.9 litre Turbo Diesel 1997 Hard Cold Start

Hi Gang

Advertisement

Finally we've been getting some cooler weather. Unfortunately my Xantia is not so keen. I've noticed the last few cold mornings it's been difficult to start. I've been reading the Haynes manual and it suggests that it could be glow plugs. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Cheers

Jase

1000+ Posts

If your battery is good, then glow plugs might well be contributing.

If it's just very slow to fire, then maybe the fuel system is getting a little air in somewhere, or just losing pressure. Either way it'd require some cranking to bring the pressure up. Does your car have a manual fuel pump - a bulb to squeeze or a button to press?

When it starts, does it run rough and blow smoke for a while? If so that could well be glow plugs. Do you wait until the orange dash lamp with a spiral symbol (a bit like a set of ram's horns) goes out? The colder the weather the longer you'll have to wait for it to extinguish. If you are waiting for the lamp, and still get the rough running at startup, try not actually starting it first time. Wait until lamp extinguishes, then turn off ignition and repeat a couple of times before finally cranking and starting the engine. If this helps then you have weak (but still functioning) glow plugs. If it makes no difference then one or or more plugs may have failed.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

1. Battery is good as it's happy to crank over forever.
    2. There is a bulb that has always been slightly deflated. Never had to touch it.
    3. Once it starts it runs like a dream.
    4. I wait for the glow plug lamp to go out before starting. Will try your suggestion about repeating the start sequence.

Any suggestions where to purchase glow plugs. I've tried a Citroen dealer in Melbourne and they have to order from France which could take a month.

Really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Jase

1000+ Posts

If it runs fine when it starts, I would be looking at low fuel pressure rather than glow plugs.

Before first start in the morning, try squeezing that bulb until it is firm and resists any more squeezing, then try starting as normal. If that works, look very carefully for any fuel weeps, most likely before the fuel pump (if it was after the pump, you would likely have fuel sprayed over everything ). In any case, if squeezing the bulb helps, then you've eliminated the glow plugs.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec

Sorry for the late reply. I did as you suggested and tried squeezing the bulb before starting. Unfortunately it made no difference so I'm back to thinking glow plugs. I'm hoping to get an opportunity over the next few days to remove and inspect them. I'll keep you posted. Really appreciate the help.

Cheers

Jase

The other one is valve clearances tightening up. These engines have shimmed "buckets" and valve seat wear can allow cold clearances to shrink to a point where the engine is not sealing properly at first turning over.

Hi Gang

I changed the glow plugs over the weekend and the car now starts when cold easily. Appreciate all the help.

Cheers

Jase
    Armidillo likes this.

Thread Information