• 1 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By gsmack
  • 1 Post By michaelr
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Ken W

Thread: BX19 Petrol Lower Radiator hose

Default BX19 Petrol Lower Radiator hose

Hi all. I'm chasing a lower radiator hose for a BX19 (petrol), preferably new, but good used would be OK. They are no longer available from Citroen, & I have called stacks of aftermarket places (most of them chuckle when I tell them I have a BX ). There is one on Ebay UK, but it will cost me $180 by the time it lands here..Mine has a big groove worn in it, as the front sway bar has walked across & was rubbing on it.

Any idea's, clues would be appreciated.

Cheers! Jason

Advertisement

Is it like a 405 bottom hose? BakerBM may have same in silicone rubber, if so.
    Motorgnome likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorgnome View Post
    Hi all. I'm chasing a lower radiator hose for a BX19 (petrol), preferably new, but good used would be OK. They are no longer available from Citroen, & I have called stacks of aftermarket places (most of them chuckle when I tell them I have a BX ). There is one on Ebay UK, but it will cost me $180 by the time it lands here..Mine has a big groove worn in it, as the front sway bar has walked across & was rubbing on it.

Any idea's, clues would be appreciated.

Cheers! Jason
    Sounds like a trip to Mackay on-line hose catalog to choose a readily available substitute is in order.

Catalogues | Mackay Consolidated
    Motorgnome likes this.

Gee, I remember pulling a band new one still in a bag out of one of my wrecking candidates recently. Too hot to go down to shed now to have a look - 33 out there today - feels like a furnace. Maybe I will get back in there over the weekend.

Are you interested?

Cheers, Ken W
    Motorgnome likes this.

Ken.W..absolutely I'm interested..Even at half the Ebay price, I'm way in front.

No hurry, just when you get time. I'm still waiting for many parts to arrive, so It's still living on the hoist.

Cheers!

In Perth, I'd go to a nearby motor racing supply shop and see whether I could either (a) cut out the grooved bit and replace it with aluminium or steel tube or (b) replace it with some combination of silicone bends and straight tubing.

You might strike lucky in Supercheap with a combination of a couple of stock hoses - a series 1 Holden Barina hose serves for the upper hose on a Renault 4CV for example.

I reckon the BX model isn't quite old enough yet to be "interesting" to the places like Neoretro in France.

Hopefully Ken's will emerge, but I'll bet there are quite a few around actually. I had one, but it went to the BX Estate's new owner.

Good luck.
    Motorgnome likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi
    what I've done in the past is go to an exhaust place and get a nice piece of stainless tubing with the little ridges for good sealing, which I then use as a joiner.
    go to supercheap and look for hoses that have one end right chop them in half and join them together.
    bodging together the bottom hose is easier than the top, because it's just two right angles and a long bit. The top is a b****!

good luck
    JohnW and Motorgnome like this.

Thanks for the idea's guys. Cutting/joining hoses is always a possibility (last resort), but I would rather have the original part. Looks better, works better. It's hard to believe a car they sold 2.5 million of (world wide) could be so hard to get a radiator hose for..I'm sure I'll get one somewhere.

Cheers!

If you do track down a supplier of new bottom hoses let me know Jason! I might be able to find a second hand one to get you out of trouble if you have no luck.

Another potential point of coolant hose failure are the two short hoses that go between the back of the motor and the heater tap mounted on the firewall. If they get hard they can snap off the plastic ends of the tap.
    Motorgnome likes this.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    If you do track down a supplier of new bottom hoses let me know Jason! I might be able to find a second hand one to get you out of trouble if you have no luck.

Another potential point of coolant hose failure are the two short hoses that go between the back of the motor and the heater tap mounted on the firewall. If they get hard they can snap off the plastic ends of the tap.
    And you need to be super-careful with those plastic heater spigots. They break easily and are hard to obtain. Better to carefully remove and replace the hoses before they get too hard.
    Motorgnome likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Is it like a 405 bottom hose? BakerBM may have same in silicone rubber, if so.
    Baker Bushes & Mountings - Performance Bushes, Mountings and Silicon Hoses
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thanks guy's..This is really helpful. Quite a few newer cars have plastic coolant fittings, that fail over time with heat & age..You have to treat them very carefully. I will cut the hoses off with a sharp blade & peel them off the fittings. This seems to be the safest way. Still, if they break then, they are stuffed & I would rather them break in the workshop, then out on the road.

I got my stuff back from Paleaides (not spelt right, but too hard)..so I can start re-assembling! Yay!

Sorry,

I havn't got down to the shed yet - we are having a heatwave in Brissie at present - 37 degrees forecast for tomorrow. I need to move the SM before I can get into my BX bits storage boxes and she needs a few bolts inserted and found after an escapade fitting an aircon drive belt. Maybe Wed or Thurs will be kinder - bring on the Southerly change I say.

Cheers, Ken W
    GreenBlood likes this.

Thread Information