Pulsating Green Wire
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pulsating Green Wire

Default Pulsating Green Wire

I have a green wire that pulsates quickly. It is connected to the AEI in back of glovebox. Before it goes in it has a white male/female plug. Only pulsates when key turned on and when white plug separated motor turns off. The other end of green wire is hanging loose under the bonnet around battery area. It has no plug just exposed copper wire. Does anyone know where it broke loose from. Remember it has a fast pulse and connects via the white plug on the AEI. Thanks

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

As very little I know about the new cars (AEI?), experience tells me that a 12VDC wire should not be pulsing at all. Insulate the bare copper end, a bit of electrical tape will do. Is the pulsing continual, or does it eventually stop? It might be simple vibration from the motor as it turns down.

Let's narrow this down: model and year of car? Significant options? Engine and transmission type?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Good morning Peterbuc,

I see you are not too far from me! but far enough that I can't just duck over to give you a hand.

So ... as the previous respondent suggested, it would be really helpful if you'd tell us a bit more about the situation.

Do we presume its a car? you mention a glovebox and a key and a motor and a bonnet and a battery...... it sounds dangerous.

A long thin green thing with a pulse, and copper poking out of one end....... sounds very dangerous.

Its hanging loose under the bonnet.......... sounds relaxed, but I wouldn't trust it.

I'd suggest that you keep well away and call WIRES. They might be able to relocate it!

Bob

PS I just looked up the WIRES number for Moree 1300 131 554

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

if everything works ... I'd be happy to leave it alone it sounds like it was tensioned during manufacture and moved around as the engine moved....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    if everything works ... I'd be happy to leave it alone it sounds like it was tensioned during manufacture and moved around as the engine moved....

Yes, but surely it is prudent to insulate the exposed copper wire with electrical tape - in case the wire is, or becomes, live.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Yes, but surely it is prudent to insulate the exposed copper wire with electrical tape - in case the wire is, or becomes, live.

Ian.
    Oh yeah, I'd snip of the exposed copper, fold it's end back onto itself and put some heat shrink on it
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Folks, this is a CX2500 with LE2 Jetronic injection and an AEI ignition computer. The colour of the wire just refers to is size or current carrying capacity. However the white connector is what is referred to in the circuit diagram as Bc for Blanc or white.

Peter, What pin does this wire connect to on the AEI computer?

Looking at the circuit diagram in the Haynes Manual, it looks like pin 1 of the AEI is connected via a Ve - Vert - green wire and plug socket to pin 15 on the LE2 computer and to pin 1 on the relay know as big blue - but you don't have one of those. It also looks like this wire also connects to the ignition coil for plugs 2 and 3 as the main drive wire so it will have 200 volts pulses on it every time cylinders 2 or 3 need a spark.

If it is all working OK and the big blue get around is working OK, I would just insulate it with a label saying where it comes from.

Cheers,

Ken W

Looking back through your posts Peterbuc, it seems there aren't any original wires left in the car.
    it could be anything.... you did say the aircon is where the glovebox used to be... is it aircon fan power feed, direct from the battery without a fuse?

Bob

Fellow Frogger

If it was merely live you might say it was hot, but it must be very excited to be pulsating.

Folks, this is a CX2500 with LE2 Jetronic injection and an AEI ignition computer. The colour of the wire just refers to is size or current carrying capacity. However the white connector is what is referred to in the circuit diagram as Bc for Blanc or white.
    OK, good. This narrows the car down considerably, and now I see what AEI is. I'll go look this up, see what I can find.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Oh, it's a CX ... Post up a photo of what your looking at. I have two 1985 model CX's here, maybe one of them will be close to the same (yes, don't everyone laugh at once ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I'm laughing....

Hope the wire hasn't lost its smoke yet.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'm laughing....

Hope the wire hasn't lost its smoke yet.
    If it's pulsing it would blow smoke rings wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    If it's pulsing it would blow smoke rings wouldn't it?
    I guess it would....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger

Does Lucas replacement harness smoke cross-reference to the Ducellier and Paris-Rhone versions? it is possibly easier to find.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Does Lucas replacement harness smoke cross-reference to the Ducellier and Paris-Rhone versions? it is possibly easier to find.
    I've tried, but no-one seems to make metric smoke.
    David S likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I've tried, but no-one seems to make metric smoke.

...the shortage is all to do with emission control regulations.

Volkswagen may have some old stock tho.
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 29th January 2016 at 05:18 PM.
    Buttercup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    (yes, don't everyone laugh at once ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I'm behind the International Date Line. I'm laughing yesterday.

I'll laugh tomorrow... we're a bit slow in the bush!

Seriously though....Lucas smoke is luminous... is the only way you can see it.

Bob

Thanks
    Last edited by Peterbuc; 1st February 2016 at 02:56 AM.

Most of us joined for, and enjoy, a combination of sensible discussion and banter. By not providing enough background information about the vehicle you pretty much guaranteed you would receive banter rather than sensible advice. And now you have insulted some of the most respected members of this forum you are unlikely to receive much in the way of sensible advice.

Roger
    David S, Buttercup, CarNut and 1 others like this.

Fellow Frogger

These cars are unlike any car with a Lucas wiring system. Aside from the smoke joke, the problem is that probably 1/4 of the wires in a CX are green and you only know what they are once you find either the coloured tag or the connector colour and pin number.

There are two sockets on an AEI unit and my recollection is that many of those wires are green. So, it's very difficult to know what the free wire is supposed to do from the initial description, particularly if the car actually runs with it not connected and there is a good degree of DIY wiring involved. The best thing to do is trace it back to one of the two AEI connector, determine the pin number and go to the wiring diagram.

If you are getting a pulse from it that corresponds to engine speed and it ends up near the back of the battery, it was possibly to supply the tachometric relay (aka Big Blue, although it can be black or orange) with an ignition pulse. You previously said that unit was missing, but it should under the LH headlight from memory. That relay is designed to run the fuel pump, so if it has been rewired in that area in order to delete it, then the fuel pump will not need a signal from the AEI to operate. This is what Ken W was referring to above.
    Last edited by David S; 29th January 2016 at 11:52 PM.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterbuc View Post
    I'm happy that my email is entertaining people but I joined to get sensible advise. If you can't give sensible advise please go take a running leap.
    I'm sorry that you are upset Peterbuc.

Fiddling with old cars can be very trying I know, and yes its good to get useful help if its available.
    However, you should realise that the scenario before you, was not adequately described by your initial message.

Although a few sensible suggestions have been made it just isn't possible to confidently offer advice when there are so many possibilities, and almost no concise or precise clues given by you.

I sincerely wish you good luck with this.

Now leaping......

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Peterbuc View Post
    I'm happy that my email is entertaining people but I joined to get sensible advise. If you can't give sensible advise please go take a running leap.
    I hope Alexander doesn't read this...

Peter (a different one)

I apologise for my outburst and agree I should before mouthing off in anger. But I have a club registered car I paid $8000 dollars for, (told eveything done drive away) only to find problems with electrics after getting it home 1400 kls later. During the drive earth wirs barely hanging on came loose. My mechanic found dodgy wiring everywhere and asked me for wire diagrams. The haynes book said mine had a big blue 20 in the diagrams, only to discover mine had no big blue. I could not find any diagram to match an 85 GTi 2500 without big blue. When we went to sort out wiring there was a spiders web all around the battery. Heaps of short green wires not soldered cross cutting other made it a nightmare. Now after 12 months of work hundreds of dollars spent it's out rego and never used. We finally get it purring only to find it dies when foot goes to peddle. Revs great by air mixture screw but not by accelerator. I started sorting out wiring and found a green pulsating wire comes from AEI computer, a brown earth wire and a black wire wire with male plug. Someone said, (My understanding may be wrong, but this is how I figured out it *possibly* works on my CX (a CX2500 GTi Turbo with two computers and 2 flywheel senders).

--Flywheel senders tell the ignition computer where in the cycle we are.
    --The ignition computer supplies a 'pulsed' tacho line the Big Blue --Pin TD (the tachometric fuel relay). If there is less than 200pulses (ie: 200rpm a minute) the relay will turn itself off. Do you have a fuel pump running when the car starts (after you let the ignition off ??).
    --Big blue pin TD splits then branches up to the injection ECU supplying it with the same pulsed line. ie: the ignition computer supplies both big blue and the injection ECU with the pulsed/tacho line --You can't measure this without a CRO.)

I don't have a big blue so have to go through 15 relays now trying to figure which 2 relays do the big blue job with no diagram to help.
    Told my wife I'm selling my C5 for a CX with nothing to do. 12 months later still in the garage out of rego. Sorry again for my negativity, if you respond feel free to have a joke or 2 and I have a laugh as well. Thanks for your advise have a nice day.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information