2002 C5 petrol Gearbox removal guide (AL4)
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shanadoo
  • 1 Post By George 1/8th

Thread: 2002 C5 petrol Gearbox removal guide (AL4)

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2002 C5 petrol Gearbox removal guide (AL4)

Is there a guide out there somewhere that shows how to remove the gearbox? I want to doubly make sure I've disconnected everything and that I've done it correctly!

Advertisement

Buy yourself a Haynes C5 Owners Workshop Manual. You will end up using it for lots of stuff.

You will probably need to order one online unless you have a really good automotive bookstore down there on the Goldie.

Cheers, Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

Hi garethb
    I take it this is the wrecked estate you;re talking about. Thought you would have it all sold by now. Strange how many want parts until you actually have the parts. All P&W. Anyway just remove the usual things, driveshafts, wiring, the three gearbox-to- rear- mounting bolts. And the three converter bolts on the back of flywheel. Bring converter out with the box and try to keep it straight on the shaft. I use a couple of wooden wedges to locate the converter.
    It wouldn't take much on that thing to take the motor and box out as a unit would it?. Undo the flywheel -converter bolts first. Then out with it and separate on the deck if you need to. Anyway cheers Tony.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Buy yourself a Haynes C5 Owners Workshop Manual. You will end up using it for lots of stuff.

You will probably need to order one online unless you have a really good automotive bookstore down there on the Goldie.

Cheers, Ken W
    Yeah mate, I have one of those, but couldn't find anything about removing the gearbox. Could you point me to the right pages?

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Hi garethb
    I take it this is the wrecked estate you;re talking about. Thought you would have it all sold by now. Strange how many want parts until you actually have the parts. All P&W. Anyway just remove the usual things, driveshafts, wiring, the three gearbox-to- rear- mounting bolts. And the three converter bolts on the back of flywheel. Bring converter out with the box and try to keep it straight on the shaft. I use a couple of wooden wedges to locate the converter.
    It wouldn't take much on that thing to take the motor and box out as a unit would it?. Undo the flywheel -converter bolts first. Then out with it and separate on the deck if you need to. Anyway cheers Tony.
    Thanks Tony, I'm keeping an eye on the parts wanted, a few more bits and bobs gone.
    I was thinking of taking it out as one unit, but my cheap hoist probably won't take the weight so probably safer to take it out on it's own.......

Fellow Frogger!

Quote 'Yeah mate, I have one of those, but couldn't find anything about removing the gearbox. Could you point me to the right pages?'

In the Haynes journal of Inadequacies of Print and Photographic Reproduction on Recycled Bum Paper the author attempts to describe his version of removing the gearbox in the last 2 pages of the Automatic Transmission section.

Normally you would have to remove the lower cross member but I think in your case you can undo the box and bring it forward then down. I've every confidence in your ability 'ol mate. Cheers.
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    I've every confidence in your ability 'ol mate. Cheers.
    That makes one of us ....................

This job is best done by two people working together. My friend and I took one day to remove a C5 auto box. The most difficult part was separating the lower arm from the ball joint. Once you have removed both drive shafts it's pretty straight forward. You need a large hydraulic jack to support the engine while and after the box is removed, and a really large trolley jack to lower and remove the box. Just take your time and don't rush it. But it is a two person job.
    UFO likes this.

Thread Information