Friend has a mint condition BX to sell
  • Register
  • Help

Default Friend has a mint condition BX to sell

Hi guys, I saw my friend Malcolm today. He told me he is now considering selling his BX.
    I've had a very good look at this car. It has spent most of it's short 10 years housed in a garage, and is in showroom condition.
    I didn't check the mileage, but whatever the clock said would be genuine, I know this guy well enough to know it's genuine. There isn't even any dust under the bonnet.
    It's a silver /grey BX 19 TZI...top of the range model, fuel injected.
    It's been regularly serviced , and had the spheres regassed every 3 years since new.
    He's looking for $10,000 for it.
    Would this seem reasonable? The car is as I said ...in showroom condition.
    God...if I had a spare $10,000 to spend....
    It's been used as a second car and as such has not been driven that much...it's pretty low kilometres on the clock.
    If anyone likes the sound of this , send me a PM and I'll send your details on to Malcolm.
    Cheers...George.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th
    Hi guys, I saw my friend Malcolm today. He told me he is now considering selling his BX.
    I've had a very good look at this car. It has spent most of it's short 10 years housed in a garage, and is in showroom condition.
    I didn't check the mileage, but whatever the clock said would be genuine, I know this guy well enough to know it's genuine. There isn't even any dust under the bonnet.
    It's a silver /grey BX 19 TZI...top of the range model, fuel injected.
    It's been regularly serviced , and had the spheres regassed every 3 years since new.
    He's looking for $10,000 for it.
    Would this seem reasonable? The car is as I said ...in showroom condition.
    God...if I had a spare $10,000 to spend....
    It's been used as a second car and as such has not been driven that much...it's pretty low kilometres on the clock.
    If anyone likes the sound of this , send me a PM and I'll send your details on to Malcolm.
    Cheers...George.
    Hey Guys, I posted this one 5 days ago...60 people have read it...not 1 reply or comment.
    Is Malcolm asking too much for this car? I might phone him and get the KS travelled from him just out of interest.
    He paid over $30,000 for it 10 years ago, he's kept it in a garage most of that time, ie. whenever it's not being used.
    This car looks like it is just run in, and that's about all. To me it sounds like $10,000 is a good price, although I've heard of them going for far less, but I guarantee they would look and feel old and used compared to this one.
    What do you guys think?
    If my wife didn't have a company car I'd be getting it for her for sure.
    Cheers....George

Despite condition - I really can't see it being worth $10k. BXs certainly aren't my field, but an absolutely mint last run 16V struggles to get the 10 grand mark in australia, so I can't imagine a TZi getting huge $$$. Not being considered collectable, I can't imagine that it'd be worth that sort of money, maybe $6-8k?

Nick

George,

I suppose it could be said that at $10K that is a scarey price in this day & age; not impossible but to get but highly unlikely.
    A while back a friend of mine was looking for a BX and we found a low mileage TZi auto (85K klms) in Sydney. To my reckoning, it was worth tops $6K - $6.5K but enquiries to dealers who were Cit savvy resulted in them claiming the car having a value of $8500 (dealer sale price.) She eventually bought it for around $7K - $7.5K which was of course plus rego $500 and some paint touch, another $500 so it came in around the price as was suggested.
    There have been a couple for sale in recent times from $6K to $8K, in fact one in Brisbane Trading Post for that price range right now and whilst they aren't going to sell quickly, if the car is good, tidy & mechanically A1 they should eventually go. I would say your friend's car would top out at $8500 as once you get above that price you get into the realms of reasonably good 16Vs which offer more as regards toys & luxuries go. A Xantia of similar price would be rough as guts by comparison so whereas the potential rough Xantia buyer might talk themselves into a nice showroom condition BX, it's highly unlikely that someone wanting a mint car would opt for the rough Xantia.
    A good original car will always sell; one at the upper spectrum of the price scale will just usually take a little longer.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    George,

I suppose it could be said that at $10K that is a scarey price in this day & age; not impossible but to get but highly unlikely.
    A while back a friend of mine was looking for a BX and we found a low mileage TZi auto (85K klms) in Sydney. To my reckoning, it was worth tops $6K - $6.5K but enquiries to dealers who were Cit savvy resulted in them claiming the car having a value of $8500 (dealer sale price.) She eventually bought it for around $7K - $7.5K which was of course plus rego $500 and some paint touch, another $500 so it came in around the price as was suggested.
    There have been a couple for sale in recent times from $6K to $8K, in fact one in Brisbane Trading Post for that price range right now and whilst they aren't going to sell quickly, if the car is good, tidy & mechanically A1 they should eventually go. I would say your friend's car would top out at $8500 as once you get above that price you get into the realms of reasonably good 16Vs which offer more as regards toys & luxuries go. A Xantia of similar price would be rough as guts by comparison so whereas the potential rough Xantia buyer might talk themselves into a nice showroom condition BX, it's highly unlikely that someone wanting a mint car would opt for the rough Xantia.
    A good original car will always sell; one at the upper spectrum of the price scale will just usually take a little longer.

Alan S
    Thanks Alan, and Nick. I guess Malcolm might be waiting for some time to get what he would think was a fair price. He'll probably trade it in on something like a Daewoo at a car dealership...and get about $4000.00 for it.
    Cheers...George.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th
    Thanks Alan, and Nick. I guess Malcolm might be waiting for some time to get what he would think was a fair price. He'll probably trade it in on something like a Daewoo at a car dealership...and get about $4000.00 for it.
    Cheers...George.
    George,

I hope he's not serious about buying a throwaway; the servicing costs would kill him.
    Why would anyone with a low mileage quality car that he would doubtless own, outlay $$$$s on a recycled Datsun/Yugo/Lada and then have to pay megabucks per service to get a warranty only to get themselves tied into a situation where the only thing they can trade on is another throwaway?
    I think your guess at him getting $4000 from a dealer is a bit optimistic too. Second hand cars seem to have no value to dealers these days yet can still pull reasonable prices privately.

Alan S

George,

I hope he's not serious about buying a throwaway; the servicing costs would kill him.
    Why would anyone with a low mileage quality car that he would doubtless own, outlay $$$$s on a recycled Datsun/Yugo/Lada and then have to pay megabucks per service to get a warranty only to get themselves tied into a situation where the only thing they can trade on is another throwaway?
    I think your guess at him getting $4000 from a dealer is a bit optimistic too. Second hand cars seem to have no value to dealers these days yet can still pull reasonable prices privately.

Alan S
    Hi Alan, he did mention he would buy something more conventional...possibly new...probably cheap...like a Daewoo. He says he can no longer afford to run the BX now that he has retired. (servicing costs etc..he won't or can't do it himself ).
    Were you serious when you said $4000.00 from a dealer would be OPTIMISTIC? WOW...the bastards...would $2000.00 be more like it?
    If that's the case he'll probably never sell it.
    Cheers...George.

George,

I have seen cars worth (and asking) $8000 that eventually made $5500 and others that asked $8000 & got it. It depends on the market at the time & the buyers around when it's asked.
    Having said all that, I am serious when I say that he will never stop kicking himself if he sells it for these so called "conventional" cars; no such animal anymore I'm afraid. All he'll do is wear a debt to buy it and then as I said, cop all these horrendous service bills that would frighten Draculas mother all in the name of "extended warranty" that he is paying for time & again and at the end of the day, he owns what he paid for; a pile of $#!+.
    I'd suggest that if the car is costing him money at the low mileage it apparently has got, to piss off the rip off artist that's doing his work & find someone who knows what he's doing.
    His service costs will be less in the long term, he already owns it and at the end of the day he will still have a good car. That car should be right for 400 - 450K before it needs major work according to the ones involved with Citroen who know what they're doing, and inciidentally, it is far closer to a conventional car than the oddball Korean throwaway crap he's looking at.
    4 cylinder OHC east west motor with a 5 speed box and Bosch Efi; it doesn't get any more conventional than that, and as a bonus, you can even buy parts for them at a much lower cost than the throwaways and the routine services are at your discetion not some dealers.
    The devil he knows & all that.

Alan S

George,

I have seen cars worth (and asking) $8000 that eventually made $5500 and others that asked $8000 & got it. It depends on the market at the time & the buyers around when it's asked.
    Having said all that, I am serious when I say that he will never stop kicking himself if he sells it for these so called "conventional" cars; no such animal anymore I'm afraid. All he'll do is wear a debt to buy it and then as I said, cop all these horrendous service bills that would frighten Draculas mother all in the name of "extended warranty" that he is paying for time & again and at the end of the day, he owns what he paid for; a pile of $#!+.
    I'd suggest that if the car is costing him money at the low mileage it apparently has got, to piss off the rip off artist that's doing his work & find someone who knows what he's doing.
    His service costs will be less in the long term, he already owns it and at the end of the day he will still have a good car. That car should be right for 400 - 450K before it needs major work according to the ones involved with Citroen who know what they're doing, and inciidentally, it is far closer to a conventional car than the oddball Korean throwaway crap he's looking at.
    4 cylinder OHC east west motor with a 5 speed box and Bosch Efi; it doesn't get any more conventional than that, and as a bonus, you can even buy parts for them at a much lower cost than the throwaways and the routine services are at your discetion not some dealers.
    The devil he knows & all that.

Alan S
    I'd have to say, you are right again Alan. If I was Malcolm I'd keep it. The car is in absolutely perfect condition. This guy cares for his car like it's a prize posession. I don't know who he has had servicing it, but it's spotless and like showroom quality. As I said, I'd pay good money for it if I was looking for one. No doubt, in a few years I'll want one for my daughter...and I won't be able to get it then.
    Them is the breaks I guess.
    Cheers...George.

Thread Information