• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mitchell
  • 1 Post By Mitchell

Thread: C5 X7 3.0 oil recommendations

Default C5 X7 3.0 oil recommendations

Howdy all,

I've assumed responsibility for servicing my 2011 C5 3.0 Touring, after repeated earlier failures from the local Citroen dealer.

It's due for a transmission oil change - my preference is to use the correct oil. The change is more like a dilution as only 3 litres are drained out of the 7 litre capacity on each occasion.

I read in the Citroen technical literature that the change from the 2.7 to the 3.0 V6 engine, also saw a change in oil specs from the 9980.D4 (3309) fluid - to a AW-1.

The Citroen dealer wants $316 (trade) for 2 litres of AW-1. Given my preference for a couple of oil changes (dilutions).....a heroin habit might be cheaper.

Penrite make their fully synthetic LV ATF which purports to be AW-1 compliant. At $48 (or so) for 4 litres, this solution seems more elegant.

I understand that Ken W is using the Penrite product and happy. Can others comment on their experiences?

Regards,
    Rhys

Advertisement
    Ken W likes this.

Is your gearbox the Aisin AM6, the same as in my 407 Pug? If it is the same box, I used Toyota T-1V with great success. It's a very simple process to change and as you note you only get a bit more than three litres so it needs to be done twice.

Hi AusGrenouille,

Thanks for the response.

It's an Aisin AM6 - but although seeming identical, Citroen documentation stipulates different oils for 2.7 and 3.0 litre cars (perhaps they had different formulation seals?)

When I had assumed I needed 3309, my initial enquiries led me to the local Toyota dealer for the T-1V oil. They offered the only one type of basic ATF (but didn't know what it was called). AW-1 is a different oil.

The cost difference between Penrite and Citroen makes it seem a no-brainer....but the obligatory mixing of the oils, and a fear of being penny wise - but pounds foolish....has me a little cautious.

Regards,
    Rhys

Rhys,

When I did mine, I could only get 2 litres out each of the two times I changed it. That was a very neat fit to a 4 litre container of the Penrite fully synthetic ATF. Gear changes were immediately smoother and have stayed that way. I intend to run another 4 litres through before our trip down to Cit-in if I can leave the SM alone long enough.

Cheers, Ken

Hi Ken,

Given the overwhelming feedback (100% of responses) validating the Penrite LV ATF as a suitable substitute, I shall proceed with gay abandon...if you know what I mean - an change to LV.

Is your C5 a 4 or 2.7/3.0?

(By the way a replacement MAP sensor arrived for my SM from Brodie in the UK yesterday)

Regards,
    Rhys

Rhys,

Mine is a 4 cylinder RHR engine. I just mentioned my 2 litres drain volume so you wouldn't be too surprised if that's all you got too.

If you would like to do an inductance characterisation on the SM Druck sensor to set a baseline for the future, I could send over the hand vacuum pump and LCR 55 meter. PM me your address if you are interested.

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Howdy all,

I've assumed responsibility for servicing my 2011 C5 3.0 Touring, after repeated earlier failures from the local Citroen dealer.Regards,
    Rhys
    No surprise there if it is the one round the corner from you....

Mark Dyson was my choice years back, but of course he closed down in the end. Now it is Corrado for the moderns, apart from the odd oil change that I do on the Xantia or the 306.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Does it have a separate cooler in the radiator for the cooling of transmission oil?
    With obvious oil lines going to the radiator?

1000+ Posts

It doesn't. The AM6 has a cyclindrical water/TF heat exchanger built in, at the front of the case. Hoses from the cooling system are connected.

Mark Dyson was my choice years back, but of course he closed down in the end
    Yea - I liked Mark, he used to exclusively work on my Xantia wagon back in the day (1997-1998?) I'd have been happy to leave the C5 to him and be mercifully free of contemporary Citroen knowledge.

Ken: I have an inductance meter and vacuum pump - so I'll take some readings when I get back in to SM mode.

Regards,
    Rhys
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information