• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: CX running issues

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default CX running issues

Sometimes I feel like tearing my hair out

1985 model fuel injected CX. The first thing you ever do always if you have running issues is check the 30year old wiring plugs. I know I've said the over and over and over and over for years .... But I'll say it again

Advertisement

I swapped the rear spheres on a 1985 twin coil CX the other night. This thing is running like a pig, overfueling to buggery especially when cold and struggling to idle nicely. You can tell it's been to mechanics as they have messed with the crankcase recirculation and replaced hoses etc..... While it was lifting after fitting the new spheres it dropped back to 2cylinders. I gave it a rev and it instantly picked up all 4. This stuff isn't rocket science. You don't mess with the fueling, don't mess with the recirculation ... or the idle. twin coils and dropping 2 cylinders will almost ways be the coils. I wiggled the wiring harness to the coils and it would drop and pickup 2 cylinders as I moved it around.

Like I've said quite a few times in the past ... remove the spare wheel, and any shrowd this is under it. Here you will find wiring connector blocks, several on a GTi Turbo, and couple on N/A engines.

So tonight ... It only takes 15 minutes. I unplugged the coils, unplug the two big wiring connector under the spare wheel. I also unplugged the temp sender on the back of the head ( sender closest to the timing cover beside No4 injector). The connectors on this car were even nice and shiny (Yay!). It's unbelievable how much better the wiring is on this car compared to my GTi Turbo that lived in the UK for 10 years. So I sprayed all the connectors with electrical cleaner ... then WD40 and plugged them all apart and together a few times...... And was rewarded with a car that started instantly on all 4 cylinders, running perfectly with a dead smooth idle and no lumpiness

I switched on the A/C (very hot in the shed), wow that loaded the engine a lot! The idle fell through the floor and was threatening to stall. Always check the electrical connectors first. So I whipped the two spade terminals off the top of the idle bypass solenoid... Spray them with cleaner, then WD40 ... gave them a gentle squeeze with some pliers so they grabbed nice and tight and plugged them back on. The idle instantly increased by about 250rpm

Electrical connectors guys .... Always, always check them first before spending time and money

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I'll second your approach. That's how I rescued the wifes intermittent no go BX. Cleaned the connector to the big relay
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

I had a CX25IE in the UK that had continual running problem. In desperation, I soldered each wire to the multi pin plugs above the front cross member and threw away the plugs. The multi pin plugs are only of use during the assembly process of a CX and in the unlikely need to remove the engine during its lifetime. (Anyone heard of someone needing to remove a CX engine?).

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I had a CX25IE in the UK that had continual running problem. In desperation, I soldered each wire to the multi pin plugs above the front cross member and threw away the plugs. The multi pin plugs are only of use during the assembly process of a CX and in the unlikely need to remove the engine during its lifetime. (Anyone heard of someone needing to remove a CX engine?).

John
    And when all else fail there are wire cutters and esco strip for re-installation.

John
    UK is a different world of hurt and pain .... My GTi Turbo .... it only lived over the until '96. all the connector blocks were green with corrosion, when I snipped them out I found a lot of the wiring was "black" with copper rot. I've unwound several wiring harnesses nearly all the way back to the firewall before I found shiny wire to splice replacement wire into.

This car is easy ... as its only lived in Austalia. The electrical contacts inside the plugs are still clean and uncorroded!

Only people that have owned a pommy car will understand the damage salt does .... Urrrgghhhh....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    UK is a different world of hurt and pain .... My GTi Turbo .... it only lived over the until '96. all the connector blocks were green with corrosion, when I snipped them out I found a lot of the wiring was "black" with copper rot. I've unwound several wiring harnesses nearly all the way back to the firewall before I found shiny wire to splice replacement wire into.

This car is easy ... as its only lived in Austalia. The electrical contacts inside the plugs are still clean and uncorroded!

Only people that have owned a pommy car will understand the damage salt does .... Urrrgghhhh....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    If there is salt, unless you live in the Simpson Desert salty things will never dry out completely, ever. And the liquid is brine and it will wick everywhere, given time...... It's a really bad situation. Exactly as Shane tells us correctly and regularly.

Now, Ballarat isn't the driest part of Oz. I even notice that even fairly hot and dry Perth is humid relative to Adelaide and things corrode here that stayed bright in Adelaide.

The equation is: Salt + Non-desert = Pain.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

I've worn a couple out & had to pull them out to overhaul them.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    I've worn a couple out & had to pull them out to overhaul them.
    You can still unplug the wiring connections from the motor though You don't need those big multi-plugs used on later CX's (there not cheap or difficult to replace rather than bypass though).
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information