c 4 engine rattle
  • Register
  • Help
    don

Default c 4 engine rattle

Hi all my C4 VTR coupe TU5JP4 has a rattle when moving off from a standing start . Its not pinging and it happens when at low revs under load. from idle to 1500rpm
    is there an exhaust bracket or brace that can become loose because thats the type of rattle.

Otherwise @ 135K its running just fine.

Advertisement

Check the condition of the drivers side top engine mount. When these collapse, the engine drops a bit so there is not as much clearance on the exhaust and other places leading to rattles etc.

Cheers, Ken W

don

Ok so its been five years of so called professionals servicing my C4 that I have been expressing my concern of the affore mentioned rattle.
    I have had the flange gasket replaced twice and one new engine mount $500 more or less in labour to fix the so called problem.
    Today I thought I would service the C4 myself after all I am a mechanic.

Under the car on very comfortable concrete problem fixed in less than 10 seconds.
    For those of you in the same boat the rattle is the front most bolt holding the engine pipe bracket to the bell housing and gearbox.
    The bolt was 11 millimeters out of its socket and ready to drop to the road.
    Changed the oil and all filters. NO MORE FU!!!!!! PROFESSIONAL SERVICES FROM HERE ON.

I am at a loss to understand how a service technician of even ordinary ability could miss something so obvious.

They don't care. And wear the wrong hat.

AKA as Arsehat Disease. And it's a very common ailment in the automotive service industry.

I suffered similar incident from a so called "crash repairer" Who returned the car with two new scratches and a metallic Color coat run on the tailgate.

The manager said I was being unreasonable when I said the quality control was appalling.

The car goes back nextWednesday and this time they are paying for the hire car.

1000+ Posts

I once fixed a similar Citroen C4 rattle heard only when starting off. It was the exhaust heat shield. A slight extra bend to the fixing flange did the trick.

Thread Information