Traction eng rumble
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Traction eng rumble

I was presented with a puzzling question recently and wondered if anyone had a feasible suggestion?
    At idle with eng cold the motor is quiet however once hot there is what is best described as a rumble. As revs are increased the rumble disappears.
    Oil press seems good as light extinguishes during cranking. Water pump eliminated by removing the belt. Sound seems to come from right side?
    Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Possibly big end bearings!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

... or the oil pump relief valve is not set correctly or the spring is weak. For the 6 cylinder cars the manual explains how to set it up using using a rig with hot oil in a spare sump, an electric motor at a given rpm and a suitable Solex nozzle and so on. Without looking it up, I'd expect it's the same story in the 4 cylinder's oil pump.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    ... or the oil pump relief valve is not set correctly or the spring is weak. For the 6 cylinder cars the manual explains how to set it up using using a rig with hot oil in a spare sump, an electric motor at a given rpm and a suitable Solex nozzle and so on. Without looking it up, I'd expect it's the same story in the 4 cylinder's oil pump.
    Absolutely! However if the car still has the original babbitted bearings they are most likely fatigued on the rod side they will run for quite a while in this state and then suddenly let go. White metal in the oil draining pan is a sure fire diagnosis. I would at all times recommend the fitment of ID/DS 19 rods with shell bearings.
    Cheers Gerry
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

... and if it's been 'rebuilt', it's very likely the pump relief valve wasn't adjusted properly and oil pressure drops away too much at idle when warm. A proper pressure gauge tapped into the back of the oil gallery plug would also be a good diagnostic method.

Some oldtimers fitted brass shims under the bearing caps and I guess the plan was to remove them at sme time in the future and take the worn bearings up a fraction.

The DS19 conrods were beefed up with a thicker waist (19 to 22mm) after June 1957 according to the 1962 Slough ID parts book. They would be uncommon here, but you'd probably want to avoid those early rods. Anything originally from a later French or Aussie ID should be the later type rod.

Yes I had those early rods in the 6H ( they were the original fitments). One of them failed during the subsequent owners tenure and the car sat for many years with a hole in the side of the block. Thank heavens that John Grieve of Shepparton now has my old car and that it is being returned to its former glory. Much better than when I had it. He is being very thorough and correcting a number of faults that I could neither throw time and or money at. I had rebuilt the engine and those rods would have lasted a long time , but then I did not thrash it, just to so how much power a 6 could produce.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

Something like this from a friend several years ago ...

Traction eng rumble-busted6.jpg

No idea which rods were in that and not from a 6H, but it's certainly broken!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

What is different between a 4 ? You never hear of the 4cylinders throwing engine parts through the block.... I would have thought the 4cylinder would be thrashed a lot harder than a more powerful 6
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Something like this from a friend several years ago ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Busted6.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	79689

No idea which rods were in that and not from a 6H, but it's certainly broken!
    Yes and in exactly the same place. That engine would have babbitted big ends. The 6H engine was he equivalent of an 11D and had the first generation DS rods.
    I have seen a rod through a block on a 4 as well. But some people liked to push a 6 to see how hard it would go. That type of person is the kind that destroyed first gears in the 6 box as well!
    BTW Rob Little and John Grieve organised the original 6H block to be repaired. The job was so good that it is hard to tell it was ever damaged. A 6H block is a rare beast in that it has cast bosses on the left side for the hydraulic pump and the regulator!

Oh dear I would not have hooked the lifting chains around the distributor in that fashion.
    Last edited by gerrypro; 21st January 2016 at 06:36 PM.
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information