• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cactus Review

Default Cactus Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK54ZAO8zo8

Advertisement

I note the selection of phrase to describe the ride quality, 'terribly crashy and skittish' . Obviously most un-Citroen like! I think I will leave it sitting in the show room.
    CXVingtCinq and danielsydney like this.
    Cheers Gerry

It's actually a very objective and complementary review about the Cactus, and the Citroen marque in general. There are a great many reviews of the Cactus on YouTube, and the car has won many awards. It has been a big sales success in Europe.The reviews are almost unanimously complementary about the comfort of the suspension and the seats. Having had a drive in a Cactus, in the motoring environment for which it is designed, I agree with them. It has been a real success overseas, and I am sure it will be in Australia.

RobL

1000+ Posts

There is a problem though. Sime Darby have overpriced it, just as they did scandalously with the updated current C4. Bottom 20s driveaway and the Cactus would walk out the door, as the C4 might if priced like the opposition. Instead the idiots inhabiting the SMH put the C4 in the worst cars of the year. You have to consider the competition when you set a price, instead of relying on rusted-on Citroenistes.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    There is a problem though. Sime Darby have overpriced it, just as they did scandalously with the updated current C4. Bottom 20s driveaway and the Cactus would walk out the door, as the C4 might if priced like the opposition. Instead the idiots inhabiting the SMH put the C4 in the worst cars of the year. You have to consider the competition when you set a price, instead of relying on rusted-on Citroenistes.
    The name is a Marketing nightmare too. Shows a total lack of marketing talent / care factor by Sime Darby.

1000+ Posts

Australian problem. No connotation in Europe.

Australian problem. No connotation in Europe.
    Surely Sime Darby are smart enough to pick up on it ?

And it's not solely an Australian "problem", it's a Citroen problem - they won't sell the bloody vehicle in Australia.

What young person - a major market - wants to drive a "Cactus Vehicle"

The name is marketing disaster material and shows stupidity or arrogance or both.

is cactus in y gens or below vernacular? doubt it. They tend to go wth sepo gibber jabber.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    is cactus in y gens or below vernacular? doubt it. They tend to go wth sepo gibber jabber.
    Urban Dictionary: cactus

1000+ Posts

Could be worse - how about Mazda's Titan Dump?

I believe the slang word 'Cactused' arose in Aussie vernacular as a reference to the infestations of Prickly Pear that laid waste to thousands of acres of arable land in the first part of the 20th century. So is this car a product of wasted resources or will we eventually come to accept it as the new direction for Citroen?
    Pity that they chose that name.
    Cheers Gerry

Could be worse - how about Mazda's Titan Dump?
    The people who drive utes as daily transport may consider the name "a badge of honor".

when you find the word Peugeot stamped into a part ( as I did yesterday on my xantia) it is time to rethink what kind of Citroen you would prefer to drive! I was thinking a muscle car might be the way to go, was always partial to a Valiant VG coupe! No I like pugs, especially if they have 504 on the bonnet.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I believe the slang word 'Cactused' arose in Aussie vernacular as a reference to the infestations of Prickly Pear that laid waste to thousands of acres of arable land in the first part of the 20th century. So is this car a product of wasted resources or will we eventually come to accept it as the new direction for Citroen?
    Pity that they chose that name.
    Interesting.
    I also thought that the term 'Cactus" was an abbreviated version of the Latin term " Cactus F***tus" which needs no translation!

I spotted one in Paris last year and yes, the name had immediate negative connotations.
    I thought Hey, Ive owned a few cars that were "Cactus"

Cheers
    Bob
    almostfrench likes this.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

You can't very well change the name of a world car like the cactus, because a small proportion of a small population in a smaller country (in influence-not size) has taken a bona-fide name and given its own slang meaning.

Who are the types who will laugh at the Cactus anyway ? Losers in clapped out Commodores.
    Well, look at the name of their car:
    "Italian boat captain". Not so flash, methinks....

And furthermore the Aussie meaning for "Cactus" comes from the contraction of "Carked It" and is only local vernacular that is hardly in use anymore. b

But it gets even better: Some supposedly car expert was ranting about how Citroen had "ripped-off" the front look of the new Jeep to create the Cactus. THat's the best one I've heard so far! That look was introduced way back by the Picasso, and hurriedly copied by Jeep..... but the Yanks still found a way to buggerise it and make it look awful.

End of whinge.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 15th January 2016 at 10:14 PM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

1000+ Posts

We must move in diffferent circles - I hear carked almost every day. But I agree it's the derivation. And I'd rather sit in a Cactus than in a Titan Dump.

I like the Cactus (even if it's much too dear) but I feel that the front elevation is quite unsuccessful, the weakest part.

Don't worry about Commodore owners - after all this time in backward cars they still think the DS is weird.

I have owned 3 DS cars and currently drive a VT Calais 5 litre. It is a most practical car. However not a car to become enthused over. It has not let me down, is cheap to service and maintain, rides acceptably well on fully independent suspension, has a reliable 4 speed auto trans and an air con system that actually works unlike that of my CX. So who is being called a loser?
    JohnW and DanielBendigo like this.
    Cheers Gerry

1000+ Posts

Your only loss would appear to be at the bowser, but is it advanced, compared to the earlier DS, or even a CX? I like Defenders, wonderful museum engineering.

Your only loss would appear to be at the bowser, but is it advanced, compared to the earlier DS, or even a CX? I like Defenders, wonderful museum engineering.
    I average around 13.3 litres/100k. A mixture of town and country driving. Not at all bad for a 5 litre motor! My best return on a trip was 9.5 just on the highway cruising!
    No, it is a Holden and cannot be considered advanced. Just practical!
    Cheers Gerry

The Calais is advanced compared with the FJ. It's all relative. I'm not queuing up to criticise. I don't really think the Xantia is particularly advanced, rather a funny hybrid of good Peugeot engineering (405) with a hydropneumatic overprint. It's very satisfying, reliable and, being a large hatchback as well, super-practical.

Regarding the name, there is one memorable example of a global name not acceptable in Oz. The Subaru Legacy, "Liberty" to us. "Legacy" is or was (I presume IS) a voluntary organisation looking after relatives of overseas military casualties - a Japanese car, 20 years back, was not about to succeed with that name here. So they changed it for the Australian market. Supposedly, the R-R Silver Shadow was to be Silver Mist until they discovered what "mist" means in German...

Cheers
    CarNut likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Sadly, Legacy still IS. There is a huge number of disabled servicemen, widows and kids needing help on their books.

Sadly, Legacy still IS. There is a huge number of disabled servicemen, widows and kids needing help on their books.
    Sad that it is needed, good it still operates.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

English language view of the Cactus here, from Germany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe-KdwR7pAo

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    the ride quality, 'terribly crashy and skittish' .
    And yet, in another review...

"Impressively supple suspension"

source - Citroen C4 Cactus Review 2016 | CarsGuide

1000+ Posts

The SA review comment wasn't about a normal road. The new C4 is also a very soft ride around town, but from experience it isn't a Landrover on a bush fire road.

Neither car is meant primarily for ruts.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information