Xantia Blower Fan Dismantling
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By George 1/8th

Thread: Xantia Blower Fan Dismantling

Default Xantia Blower Fan Dismantling

Brains trust - attempting to replace the resistor and not sure how to get the motor out of the plastic fan housing (appears to be a few rubber mounts in there) and I don't want to break anything.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xantia Blower Fan Dismantling-img_4307%5B1%5D.jpg  
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

It's just held in there by gravity and some special shaped rubber blocks. All you need to do is to get a screwdriver and push in some detents in the rubber blocks that stick out over the plastic cover to start the motor coming out. It is likely that the brushes have worn to the limit. I have had to replace the brushes in both my Xantias. New ones are available on ebay for those who are handy with a soldering iron.

Cheers, Ken W.

As Ken said, there 3 square holes where you can see rubber blocks, just get a large flat bladed screwdriver, push blocks
    in and down then motor falls away.
    another fan type only has 2 screws on plastic cover,unscrew and motor fall away.

Spot-on KenW/denxm.

Slipped a little dishwashing liquid down near the rubbers and came out like a dream.

Unfortunately doesn't appear to be the resistor, as the blower is still not working (Series II Xantia). There is a bit info on other threads re this matter so, need to do a bit of research. Probably deal with fan brushes as next step.

Thanks for your response
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Series II - '00 Xantia heater blower issues, attempts to rectify and final solution as follows:

1. Replaced the resistor ($13 job from China) in the fan body

2. With the fan motor pulled out of the body, I have been able to operate the fan, full bore, by connecting to a 12V battery. The fan brushes are down to about 10mm – I have two new ones on order

3. Checked all relevant fuses – all OK (Haynes Manual F21 & F5 – blower, whereas Owners Handbook indicates F20 heater blower power, F2 fan control)

4. Tested relay (Series II has a green blower relay just above accelerator pedal). Even bought a Navara brand and tried it but still no blower fan

5. Checked significant electrical connections (x2) under passenger side carpet (base of A Pillar) – appear OK

6. Pulled the, some call it ECU others ACU (Air Control Unit) which resides just left of the console, next to the pollen filter. It is a cigarette size black plastic box with significant thin wires. This all looked good – no visible corrosion etc

7. The light on the dashboard air conditioning switch is dull. Some blogs suggest this is a wire issue from Fuse 5 to the relay

8. Success - purchased a blower fan off a '00 Exclusive wreck, fitted and problem solved.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break

Hi Sparkey,
    if you pull out the aircon switch from the dash, and dismantle it , you can remove the opaque white block which restricts the switch illuminator brightness. I threw mine out. From then on, I could actually see if the switch was on or off, even in the daytime.
    There was one problem I had with the Xantia which was a chronic issue, and it was blower fan related. I replaced mine with a second hand one from a wreck, and it made little difference. I replaced the brushes too, still made little difference. My fan never stopped working, but I always got the smell of melting plastic whenever I drove for over an hour or so. I did solve the issue eventually, it was a combination of two issues. 1. The ignition switch, not the greatest of designs for carrying such a large Amperage over long periods of time. There was a fix recommended by the manufacturers and their service people, which involved adding a relay so that only a low amp current went through the switch. I did this, but it still didn't solve the problem.
    2. The addition of a very heavy gauge wire on the earth side ( Black wire) of the fan motor to the nearest earth point on the car body.
    That fixed it. Never got the melting plastic smell again after that.
    I never had to change the fan switch or resistor.
    Good luck with it.
    sparkey likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Spot-on KenW/denxm.

Slipped a little dishwashing liquid down near the rubbers and came out like a dream.

Unfortunately doesn't appear to be the resistor, as the blower is still not working (Series II Xantia). There is a bit info on other threads re this matter so, need to do a bit of research. Probably deal with fan brushes as next step.

Thanks for your response
    If it's the climate control unit they aren't resistors they are power transistors cheaply optained anywhere

Thread Information