C4 1.6HDI EGS having some issues
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 1.6HDI EGS having some issues

Hi,
    I hope some one may be able to assist. I'm having some annoying issues recently with my C4. It's still totally driveable and performance doesn't seem to be affected, but I think it's trying to tell me something. Like my CX, it protests when it doesn't want to go out for the day.

1) I have this annoying noise from the front area. I had the discs and pads replaced last year for rego purposes. After that, from time to time they make an annoying noise. It's not brake pad squeal, more a hum. Occurs at different speeds and as soon as I touch the brake pedal it will disappear, only to reoccur later. i haven't looked underneath yet, but have looked and felt the discs through the front wheels, and there doesn't appear to be any abnormal wear. It doesn't sound like a mechanical noise, it's more a hum created by air passing thru a gap.

2) The dreaded "STOP" indicator has started appearing, together with the water temperature indicator flashing. The car will continue to drive normally with no detectable loss of power. The water level is ok in the radiator.
    Then the warning light and indicator will go out and the display is normal without any intervention by me. Sometimes weeks will pass before it reoccurs. I initially thought it only happened on hot days, but yesterday it came on again whilst driving on the M4 in the rain. Perhaps a faulty sensor or loose connector?

At this stage I'm still driving around normally. My next option is probably to take it to Continentals for a look, but then that will involve some $$$.

Advertisement

thanks,
    Glenn

Fellow Frogger!

no suggestions? I'm still having these 2 issues although driving about as normal.

Is the thermo fan working?

Ours got very wobbly and noisy for a week before it stopped working.
    Then intermittent overheating on hot days when in town, or on long uphills.

Bob

Fellow Frogger

1) Maybe the mechanic didn't put adhesive on the back of the pads and they are able to move about a little. Or a backing plate moving about.
    2) The coolant temp sensor could be suspect. If you can get at it, pull the plug off to check it doesn't have any coolant leaking through the pins.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Is the thermo fan working?

Ours got very wobbly and noisy for a week before it stopped working.
    Then intermittent overheating on hot days when in town, or on long uphills.

Bob
    Was that because the fan motor bearings gave out after a very high mileage or did the control module on the radiator support fail?

Definitely the rear bearing of the motor went very wobbly, causing a low rumble as it flopped about and rubbed against the mount frame. Its possible that the final failure, (when it gave up trying to work as the flopping and rubbing got too much for it.) involved the module.

I was unaware of any module..... I was hoping a new fan for $255, was all I'd need. You mean there's more 'puter stuff to do battle with.?

Bob

Fellow Frogger!

thanks for the advice. I will check out these possibilities and advise.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I was unaware of any module..... I was hoping a new fan for $255, was all I'd need. You mean there's more 'puter stuff to do battle with.?

Bob
    Yes. If the fan has failed mechanically, try just the new fan first. There is a control module (black box) in behind the grille for fan switching, but leave it alone unless the new fan doesn't work correctly or keeps on running. I recall there's one of those little disc thermo controllers inside it and not a lot else, so it's not really another 'puter.

Fellow Frogger!

Well the C4 decided to chuck a huge "hissy fit" today on the M4 and go into limp mode with all sorts of warning lights and indicators. The ESP light came on and the display saying something about the gearbox. managed to limp along for a km or so and pull into an emergency bay.
    NRMA arranged a tilt tray. Needless to say, I started the car and all was back to normal and drove the car onto the tilt tray.

Now at Continentals to see what's wrong. Will keep updated.

Glenn

As discussed elsewhere, the state of the battery is a source of various warning lights intermittently appearing and disappearing.
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Thread Information