Citroen C5 X7 2.7 HDI thermo cooling fan module
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen C5 X7 2.7 HDI thermo cooling fan module

One of the two radiator fans stopped working. As new ones are $1200 ! We stripped motor and replaced brushes. Thanks to advice and supply from Ian at Euroserve Brisbane. Fan worked ok on bench wired to battery but now installed it rotates slowly every minute or so. Does anyone have advice ? Assume module is causing this. Fan is made by Johnson Controls and is a Gate model.

Advertisement

Grant,

I think you might be breaking new ground here. I doubt that anyone else here has had to look at how the radiator fans work on this model yet. I will fire up my copy of SEDRE and see if that sheds any light on your issue tomorrow.

Cheers,

Ken W

Tadpole

Hi Ken. Many thanks. Of course all electric motor brushes wear out eventually. Car was just one year old with 42 kms when I got it. One fan gave up at about 80 kms which stranded me in Toowoomba so I had not choice but to have a new fan fitted by Citoren dealer there. Parts and labour was $1850.00 !

At 170 Kim's the (plastic) thermostat blew apart, engine overheated and blew a head gasket. $7000 later, which included replacing the timing belt the engine is running better than ever.

Am determined to get the fan working so many thanks - we may crack this one with your help.

Do you think an email to Jonhson Electrics would be pointless ?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    One of the two radiator fans stopped working. As new ones are $1200 ! We stripped motor and replaced brushes. Thanks to advice and supply from Ian at Euroserve Brisbane. Fan worked ok on bench wired to battery but now installed it rotates slowly every minute or so. Does anyone have advice ? Assume module is causing this. Fan is made by Johnson Controls and is a Gate model.
    Are you sure this isn't working properly? What's the other fan doing? My Xantias & Pugs all switch the fans on to low speed at 80? or 90? degrees, & only switch to high if the temperature reaches 100 C. Under normal conditions they will run at low speed until coolant temp drops a bit, then cut out and do nothing until coolant temp rises again.

Different if air-con is on - in that case fans should always spin at low speed unless 100 C is reached. Paradoxically I seem to recall that my Xantia runs a bit cooler with the aircon switched on because of this!

BTW - well done replacing brushes - have done this for a Xantia and really the hardest bit was acquiring compatible brushes!! Would have assumed that C5 fans would be pretty much the same as Xantia/Pug 406 etc., but the price you've had to pay makes me think they must be different - I believe mine are only half that price!

Cheers

Alec

Tadpole

Have been advised by Euroserve, Citroen experts, that both fans run at the same time at variable speeds which makes sense as the radiator and two oil coolers are wide apart. Wonky fan does a couple of slow turns every 30 seconds and same thing happens on others that Euroserve have fitted new brushes to. They had the brushes made by the way. Oil temp is slightly up but otherwise car performs ok.. Concern is that having v expensive engine work done I don't want to run the risk of overheating again.

Seems odd behaviour, as they are only a DC 12V motor after all....

Agree re cooling importance!

Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Grant,

My SEDRE has gone unactivated again - bother. I think it will probably show that both fans are indivually controlled by some electronic - ECU box.

I'm thinking the slow revs is probably the cooling ECU testing the fan to see if their voltage/current relation ship is correct. Maybe it has stored that the fan was faulty and now needs a software reset to tell it that it has been fixed. I would be getting someone with a Lexia or Diagobx to check out what the ECUs are assuming about the cooling system. What is the system doing when the air conditioning is turned on?

I will go consult my Haynes C5 manual.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

I don't think Haynes have an X7 manual. The fan electronics are mounted near the fans on the 2.0 cars.

Seasink - you are right but early X7 usually have similar wiring. I have managed to reactivate SEDRE for the moment. It is asking for an RPO but only gives a single fan diagram when I use my RPO and engine config. This is what I get for my car.

Grant can you post or PM me a VIN number.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen C5 X7 2.7 HDI thermo cooling fan module-cooling-elec-location.jpg   Citroen C5 X7 2.7 HDI thermo cooling fan module-cooling-elec.jpg  

Tadpole

Hi Ken. I think you are on the right track. Faulty fan does a very regular slow cycle. It never spins up to cooling speed so ECU must be running a test as you say. With ac on still the same but of course the other Fan is flat out. VIN is vf7rwuhzj9L536545

Hi Ken. Just a note to ask if you received ?
    Last edited by GrantM; 21st January 2016 at 08:22 PM.

Thread Information