• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 2 Post By deesse

Thread: C5 gearbox not going into drive

Default C5 gearbox not going into drive

Hi folks,
    I am just about to drive to Sydney from Melbourne tomorrow and all of a sudden the C5's gearbox is playing up. It's a 2 litre petrol 2003 model with auto box.
    The symptom is that it won't click into drive properly, but somehow still engages drive and drives normally, just doesn't feel like it is into drive all the way. It will also not shift sideways into manual triptronic mode. It feels like it is a linkage/cable issue.
    The question is should I risk it and drive to Sydney or get it looked at first in which case my departure would be delayed a few days.
    The next question is does anyone know what might be the problem and is it simple to fix by myself in the driveway/by the side of the Hume freeway.

Advertisement

Any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers Tony

check under the airfilter box where the selector cable attaches and make sure nothing is in the way

Fellow Frogger!

Hi deesse
    My guess would be the gearshift lever lockout plunger disintegrated. Under this situation you may get stuck, being unable to select any gears. Also avoid putting it in park or it may jam altogether. The cable doesn't do anything when in sequential shift mode it's purely electronic. There's plenty of recent posts with pictures describing the fix on the forum. Not a difficult job but I wouldn't drive it until it's fixed.
    See the sticky Threads of Excellent Threads. http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/86380-c5-help-urgent-auto-gearshift.html[/url]
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/120560-c5-park-lock.html[/url]

Cheers Tony.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 2nd January 2016 at 09:19 PM.

You might just have to take the SM to Sydney. What a good excuse.

Cheers, Ken W

Thanks Ken, yes that is an option but the spare wheel will have to stay at home to make way for our luggage.

Thanks Tony for steering me to the sticky thread. I reckon the pin is my problem and I can see what has to be done to fix it. I am hoping that by keeping the car in drive all the way to Sydney (filling up with the engine running by having the spare key to open the filler) I will make it and get it fixed there. Hence my next question.

Can the C5 be started in neutral and then shifted into drive from neutral with the engine running.

I will take the tools as listed in the sticky thread just in case.

cheers Tony

Yes, you can start it in N.

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    Thanks Ken, yes that is an option but the spare wheel will have to stay at home to make way for our luggage.

Thanks Tony for steering me to the sticky thread. I reckon the pin is my problem and I can see what has to be done to fix it. I am hoping that by keeping the car in drive all the way to Sydney (filling up with the engine running by having the spare key to open the filler) I will make it and get it fixed there. Hence my next question.

Can the C5 be started in neutral and then shifted into drive from neutral with the engine running.

I will take the tools as listed in the sticky thread just in case.

cheers Tony
    If your handbrake is good that is an option, or, if it is the detent pin you can simply remove it, the gear shifter will become sloppy but still operate, and it removes the possibility of the detent pin breaking up requiring its removal anyway.

Cheers
    Chris
    shanadoo likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

thanks men, wish me luck

Are you there yet?

Peter
    shanadoo likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Are you there yet?

Peter

Yes, it doesn't look very far on the map.
    He should make it there early this afternoon even if he goes the scenic route via Broken Hill.

Fellow Frogger!

The detente can be bought separately from Citroen
    It's under $20
    But is listed as something completely different on the parts drawing
    It's there on the drawing

Well we made it. Thanks to the dedicated froggers who posted the information about this issue which once read eased my mind and allowed me to proceed with an understanding of the problem and the tools and knowledge of what to do if my gear stick got stuck.
    Well it didn't get stuck. As a precaution I left it in drive all the way to Sydney and back only shifting once into neutral on arrival. It meant filling the tank with the engine running in drive and eating pre-prepared food (much better than mackas) but it worked.
    I have now ordered the part and will attempt to replace it myself when it arrives.
    cheers Tony
    JohnW and addo like this.

Thread Information