GS owners rust prevention
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bruce H

Thread: GS owners rust prevention

Default GS owners rust prevention

Recently cutting up a rusted GS, and responding to another thread on here has got me thinking about rust prevention.
    I'm no expert on this, but based on observations if you own a GS you might want to go out and check as many of these places as you can.
    It seems to me that GSs were built on the understanding that water and dirt would get in, and designed so it would get out again. Over years the drain holes get clogged / bogged / painted over, water accumulates and rust occurs.

Now you probably won't be able to go out and just pull out your rear quarter window, but look what I found when I did so on a 77 model. On one side a factory drain hole, on the other a bogged panel. GS owners rust prevention-image.jpg GS owners rust prevention-image.jpg

Advertisement

Similarly, those couple of gaps you see where the front floor panel joins the main floor panel under the car - I reckon they're meant to be open to act as drains. I always thought the little gaps I saw in the sill join near the jacking point were a sign of poor assembly or repair on my first GS, but I now think they also are probably designed drain points.
    Checked that those plastic flaps forward of the front doors are still properly glued down?
    Removed your rear wheels and washed/ checked what that re-in forcing panel looks like at the bottom of the wheel arch?

Anyone like to add any more places?
    Last edited by Bruce H; 2nd January 2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Typos
    CarNut and artisan like this.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

I always figured citroen owners were a bit rusty!!

Jo

There is a box section on the firewall behind the glove box that was filled by foam on a 74 club that I cut up. The floor of this box section was rusted out. It was the only rust in an otherwise sound car. The panels on this car however were another story. Not a good one among them.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Gerry
    I've also seen this, though in the car I experienced the inside floor was also rusted. I reckon this is why people need to check that plastic flap behind the front guard, as on the lhs the foam goes to this point. Gap in the glue, wet foam, rust.
    The water may be coming from somewhere else, but I haven't been able to work out where.
    Cheers
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Hi Bruce,

As the thread is called rust prevention I have put up the rust prevention spots recommended by CitroŽn.

Hope this helps when using fish oil, waxoil or lanolin.

GS owners rust prevention-bild-1.jpg
    Cheers Andrew

Thread Information