• 1 Post By deesse
  • 1 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By jonf

Thread: hey all you SM guys!

Default hey all you SM guys!

https://www.facebook.com/47456803938...sappr::violin:

Advertisement
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Gillian and Chris

Oh, and a Holden.

1000+ Posts

First question - why does he have so much trouble losing the obviously inferior American cop cars? Did they fit cross-ply tyres to make it handle so badly?

And why is the car's suspension set on High as he goes onto the bridge, but not when he reverses off the rising section (when the extra ground clearance might make sense)?

And 3rd question - why does the woman he steals it from call it a Maserati, when the only number plate you ever get a clear look at simply says "CITROEN SM"?

Which leads to another question - why no proper number plates? Is this clip set in a fantasy world where car registration has been abolished?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    First question - why does he have so much trouble losing the obviously inferior American cop cars? Did they fit cross-ply tyres to make it handle so badly?

And why is the car's suspension set on High as he goes onto the bridge, but not when he reverses off the rising section (when the extra ground clearance might make sense)?

And 3rd question - why does the woman he steals it from call it a Maserati, when the only number plate you ever get a clear look at simply says "CITROEN SM"?

Which leads to another question - why no proper number plates? Is this clip set in a fantasy world where car registration has been abolished?
    Answering all questions at once:

It's a movie.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post

Answer to first: Because, Hollywood. They had to make it a fair chase, and so the stunt driver was likely told to take it easy, make the chase seem more than it was.

Yah, I saw the suspension setting too. Most all scenes in any given film have at least two or three "takes". What you're looking at was the takes spliced together. The editor didn't notice- or didn't think you would notice- the suspension in high one minute, and the suspension at normal the next. It's entirely possible that, given everything that was shot that day, that was the best they could splice together. At 15K a pop for an SM in 1973 dollars, that's a lot of money to wreck for a simple detail most people wouldn't care about.

I have to guess the reason why she exclaims "Don't take my Maserati!!" is because at least some of the people the film was aimed at would recognize that name. The "Citroen SM" plate was a common dealership thing here in the US. Leading to your last query:

Many states here, even now require only rear plates. Also, a car in a film may have fake registration plates, stamped or personalized with something meaningful to the director, producer, et al​.
    bleudanube likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Number plates like phone numbers, start counting now how many start with 555......! It's a family thing for us to shout it out now when ever someone starts giving one out - and we're right most of the time!
    Gillian and Chris

Oh, and a Holden.

Fellow Frogger!

Shame to see such a great car end up like that, though I guess at the time it wasn't appreciated.

Wonder if it's still sitting in the water off the wharf. Or would they have retrieved it afterwards?

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by gembee View Post
    Shame to see such a great car end up like that, though I guess at the time it wasn't appreciated.

Wonder if it's still sitting in the water off the wharf. Or would they have retrieved it afterwards?

Glenn
    I'm willing to bet that was a press car, so the value had already been written off by Citroen. Even then, with the amount of litigation that seemingly surrounds everything here in the US, it's very unlikely they could have sold the car. This was a useful end to the car with considerable advertising value. And yah, they would have fished it out. If nothing else, the city where this was filmed probably told the production company that they would clean up their mess after the scene was completed.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

I seem to recall reading somewhere (but don't quote me) that there were 2 cars involved.
    roger

I can't bare to see that film. I just makes me sad.
    cheers Tony
    pajamas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    I can't bare to see that film. I just makes me sad.
    cheers Tony
    Tony, please keep your clothes on!
    addo likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I'm willing to bet that was a press car, so the value had already been written off by Citroen. Even then, with the amount of litigation that seemingly surrounds everything here in the US, it's very unlikely they could have sold the car. This was a useful end to the car with considerable advertising value. And yah, they would have fished it out. If nothing else, the city where this was filmed probably told the production company that they would clean up their mess after the scene was completed.
    CitroŽn gave them the car to make the movie. The soundtrack was done in a lab and they blew up at least two motors making it. This info was provided to me by my old boss at the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    I seem to recall reading somewhere (but don't quote me) that there were 2 cars involved.
    roger
    Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    CitroŽn gave them the car to make the movie. The soundtrack was done in a lab and they blew up at least two motors making it. This info was provided to me by my old boss at the garage.
    Excellent. Two extra bits that make the picture clearer. It's entirely possible Citroen supplied two cars- one for filming the glamor shots and interior scenes, the other for stunts and wrecking.

I'm going to smash Bert next time I see him, ******.

Awesome SM dancing. I watched this many times and love it.
    Classic 1.55 stomp on the brakes and reverse. ermm don't try this at home.
    You don't often see cars recover from a 50 degrees oversteer slide even in rallies.
    Now you know how your SM (DS CX) will handle when pushed. With composer and grace!

Fellow Frogger!

Default pushing SM into water

I've felt like doing that to mine sometimes too.........

maybe he just got the bill from the garage for fixing the latest hydraulic leak....
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Thread Information